Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marshall's Fountain Lunch/ Curtis' Famous

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
My dad and I took a trip to Cumberland yesterday, taking a side trip over to the little town of Lonaconing, Maryland. We stopped in for a bite to eat at Marshall's Fountain Lunch, a fantastic lunch counter downtown.

IMG_6315.jpg

Here's a shot of it from when it was new. It is the building in the foreground on the left. As you can see, not much has changed/
143808137_o.jpg

The interior is a time warp back to the late 'teens early twenties. The booths, the octagonal tabletops with gold flaked black tops. The matching wood phone booth is still in place, though it's no longer open to use by the public

IMG_6316.jpg

IMG_6319.jpg

Okay- I guess one "new" thing in there is the front counter, but that looks like it's been there for at least seventy years. Look at the cast aluminum snow-cone machine to the right of the coke machine. They're still using the original cash register.
IMG_6321.jpg

IMG_6323.jpg

and refer back to the postcard. See the hotel in the background? It's still there- only now it's a ghost sign.

IMG_6327.jpg

Earp

One of the Regulars
Very Nice

Hey Dinerman! Thanks for posting these great pics and for your descriptions of this slice of Americana. You give a very nice tour. I hope you do more of these "vignettes" whenever the opportunity arises. I miss these old places ... I'm rather nostalgic for the old color schemes, machinery made with style and embellishment, and the great architecture and all the rest .... aw heck, you know what I mean :)

Thanks again.
--Wyatt--

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Well then, here's another stop we took yesterday- Coney Island & Curtis' Famous Weiners of Cumberland, MD

The outside
IMG_6206.jpg

Love those hand lettered signs in the glass.
IMG_6205.jpg

Since 1918. Look at those beauties being made
IMG_6204.jpg

IMG_6203.jpg

Check out the prices! And unusual items like the fish tail sandwich (also found here) and the chocolate rickey. Great lettered sign. I also like the doughboy on the sign above. Thank goodness this place is still around for us to enjoy!
IMG_6202.jpg

Don't those look great? They were.
IMG_6196.jpg

Horrible expression. What can I say- I was eating. Excellent hot dogs.
IMG_6199.jpg

IMG_6195.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic