Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mass Hysteria at Brooks Bros.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I couldn't see the pics that started this thread when I was at work, so I was commenting only on the shorts with a blazer part. Now that I can see the pictures, though, I have to say, she looks great! The white skirt and cable knit sweater are classics. I'm not crazy about the orange shorts and striped belt, but swap those out for khaki shorts and a belt to match his shoes and I'm fine with it.

As for the pants with things embroidered on them I have to agree with Hemingway. I see them a lot in Palm Springs, but never on anyone under 50-60. The sport coat is fine, but again, I don't think I'd wear that color.

No matter what, though, I'll take any combination of those over having to look at one more sleeveless t-shirt and a pair of grungy Levis. I still don't understand that recent style in women's jeans that were pre-dirtied to look like she had been working in a garage for a few weeks. That wierd dingy yellow color that Diesel Jeans or whoever had was really nauseating. Give me a preppy girl in a clean skirt and cable knit sweater anyday, thanks.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Hemingway Jones said:
This thread was endlessly amusing to me. For one thing, the "Prep" look has never gone away, neither in Prep school nor here in Boston ...

Ah, but it went away from other parts of the United States. Los Angeles was awash in preppiness back in the mid-'80s, but it hasn't been so since then. Of course, that seems to be changing ...

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Like any other esthetic, the prep look has its tasteful and its ugly elements.

Tasteful (if at times bland) elements: khakis, cuffs, buttondown shirts, repp ties, polo shirts, topsiders, 'Weejuns, blue blazers, seersucker, bucks.

Ugly (though less bland) elements: patchwork plaid madras, so-called "fun" shirts (don't ask!), baggy Bermuda shorts (especially on women), and excessive male use of pink.

The happy news is that there's more good here than bad.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
What is good about the American trad "preppy" look is that it works well for casual clothes. As you said, things like chinos and weejuns. Personally it looks rather less appealing when extended to suits and more business-related clothing.

I like using the trad or preppy clothing for casual outfits and more Saville Row British stuff for suits and formal attire.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Agreed. The "old school" preppy suits were (and are) boxy and shapeless, with no darts in the jacket. Unpadded ("natural") shoulders only look well on square-shouldered men. Otherwise, they do nothing for the wearer. And what's with the trouser legs worn short? It makes the wearer look like he's outgrown the pants. "Old boy", indeed.

Preppy suits are good for men who don't want their clothes to flatter them. I suppose there is a use for this; and when I figure it out, I'll let you know. Meanwhile, I'll opt for suits with slightly padded shoulders, a slightly shaped torso, and trouser legs that slightly break at the cuff. "Moderation in all things is best."

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I felt kind of stupid that I didn't know what Weejuns are, so I looked them up, and was surprised that I apparently own a pair.lol lol

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda