Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mass Hysteria at Brooks Bros.

Now that I think about it, the palm trees may be the answer to the 80s skull trousers. You know, those punk trousers that had skulls, swords, or both embroidered into the fabric?

I know, I know. People will ask 'What do you care what everyone else is wearing?' All right, pardon me for having peripheral vision.

Regards,

Senator Jack

pablocham

One of the Regulars
I have to say that, while I wouldn't be caught dead in those pants, I would prefer a world populated by people dressed like that to this world of sloppy fat people wearing t-shirts and cargo shorts in size xxxxxxxl. Just saying.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
the Bee's knees! shorts on stage

bb_king_pv.jpg

BB King on stage in suit w/ shorts.
Nice Knees!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Senator Jack said:
Were the preppies wearing the blazer with shorts, though? From my high school days, I don't seem to recall seeing that nonsense while I was beating them up.

Yes, there were twits wearing shorts & blazers. I remember seeing similar outfits around SoCal in the 70's & 80's. But at least, coming a tiny, tiny, tiny bit to their defense, they ARE trying to dress up - I'd rather see that sort of thing at an afternoon tea than tank top & volleyball shorts & flip-flops. It's not much of a step, but it IS a step up, albeit misguided.

But brace yourself - there were also people wearing tuxedoes with tuxedo pant shorts. Most often, college-aged guys. They were available ready-made, too.

But let me tell you, there's nothing scarier than some late-60's gray-haired granddaddy wearing tux shorts with black knee socks, loosened purple bow tie, shirt unbuttoned to mid-chest with no t-shirt (this alone should be grounds for arrest), trying to do the Hustle with a glass of Scotch sloshing around in one wrinkled claw, thinking he looks like Joe Stud along with his great grandchildren's girlfriends at a wedding reception at the marina.

Thank God - no relation of mine but I did witness it. I silently thanked God I had parents & grandparents who taught me things like there IS no such thing as a "short-sleeved dress shirt."

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wait - I just have to add...

Barbra Streisand in What's Up, Doc?

Propriety; noun: conformity to established standards of behavior or manner, suitability, rightness, or justice. See "etiquette."

GateXC

One of the Regulars
I'm going to have to chime in for the defense here on this one. As someone who went to prep boarding school and has friends and siblings who went as well, I see nothing wrong with the uber-preppy look whatsoever. While pants with embroidered lobsters or palm trees, etc. might not be for everyone - they are pretty classic in my book. Also, during college I would periodically do the blue blazer/khaki shorts look on nice days in the spring and it worked pretty well and used to get plenty of compliments.

While clearly this preppy look isn't for everyone - on a nice summer day would you rather see someone sporting this look or a pair of jean shorts and a t-shirt? I couldn't disagree more that it's a very small step up - it's a huge step up.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
GateXC, maybe you can enlighten me. Why do male preps wear khaki pants so short? Do they really need to flaunt their ankles? Also, why do they insist on wearing 'Weejuns without socks? It's terribly uncomfortable when those loafers are stiff and new. Then, they come apart at the seams ... and young preps wrap them with silver duct tape! Why???

matei

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:
Now that I think about it, the palm trees may be the answer to the 80s skull trousers. You know, those punk trousers that had skulls, swords, or both embroidered into the fabric?

The ones by "Lip Service"? I had a friend who had wore them... Thought he was Axl Rose or sumtin'...

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I have to point out, however, that the Bermuda dress style has been incorporating shorts and blazers for well over a hundred years or so. It is de rigeur for doing business there. It has a long tradition stemming from the British tropical uniforms, which are still worn in Cyprus, among other places. I really like the look of the British Army KD, with shorts and a bush jacket.

Of course, it is also possible to take a dignified style with long traditions, and make it cartoonish.

penfencer

Familiar Face
Having lived most of my life on the southeast coast of Florida I don't find it at all strange to go without socks. It's common down here- especially with loafers. It's not meant to be a fashion statement. Loafers are just a step up from wearing sandals, I guess.

I have seen, on rare occasions, sockless tuxedo wearers.

Once in a while you'll see someone throw on a sportcoat with his shorts and oddly enough it doesn't look out of place. Sometimes you just need the extra pockets.:)

What I DON'T get are guys who wear sweaters around their necks in the heat.

But at least these folks are making an effort to look presentable. You wouldn't believe the sloppy way people dress even in the nicest places around here.

yachtsilverswan

Familiar Face
I agree with GateXC. I was an undergraduate at the Univ of North Carolina in Chapel Hill in the late 70's, and this was our early fall football game date uniform. Navy blazer, white button down with rep tie, khaki shorts, and freshly polished Bass Weejuns (no socks). A late August afternoon football game in Kenan Stadium could get pretty steamy, and the shorts made the heat more comfortable. For classes during the week, it was Duckhead khaki shorts during the warm months, Duckhead long khakis (cuffed) during the cooler months, polo shirt or oxford cloth button down (with the cuffs rolled under rather than over the sleeve), and polished Weejuns - no socks. The look was comfortable, distinctive (at least when compared to the jeans & T shirt crowd), and low maintenance (except for polishing the Weejuns).

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
penfencer said:
Having lived most of my life on the southeast coast of Florida I don't find it at all strange to go without socks. It's common down here- especially with loafers. It's not meant to be a fashion statement. Loafers are just a step up from wearing sandals, I guess.

It's just that the preppy loafer of choice -- the Bass 'Weejun -- is a stiff shoe when new. It takes a lot to get it soft enough to be comfortable without socks. Yet I've seen generations of preppies wearing new 'Weejuns, stiff and chafing as they are, without socks. And that's murder on your feet.

yachtsilverswan

Familiar Face
Marc Chevalier said:
It's just that the preppy loafer of choice -- the Bass 'Weejun -- is a stiff shoe when new. It takes a lot to get it soft enough to be comfortable without socks. Yet I've seen generations of preppies wearing new 'Weejuns, stiff and chafing as they are, without socks. And that's murder on your feet.

Afternoon Marc –

Maybe Southerners like me just have tougher feet – all those childhood years of running around the back yard barefoot. I just never found my Weejuns uncomfortable – new or well broken in. I always used shoe trees that were one size too large to stretch the wear creases in the leather to a minimum – maybe that repeated stretching softened up the leather. I do remember having one pair of non-Weejun loafers in college – a pair of black-dyed Cordovans – I don’t remember the maker – but they were more comfortable at the expense of being much heavier than the Weejuns. For devotees who do find the Weejun break-in period uncomfortable, maybe that explains the unwillingness to replace an old pair. Marc is correct that some guys literally duct-tape the separating soles to the uppers rather than buy a new pair. I would have my Weejuns reheeled with small steel wedges in the heel to decrease wear, and had each pair resoled three times before tossing them and buying a new pair. The older shoes developed a comfortable patina of wear that made them seem more casual – like a Topsider. Interestingly, whether the Weejuns were tasseled seemed to be a campus idiosyncrasy (Bass made both tassel and penny loafer styles of Weejuns). At Carolina, we all wore the penny loafer style (but no penny in the slot – ever). When I moved to Louisiana and then Georgia, the tassel style was much more common at LSU and UGA.

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
I confess to being a sockless loafer wearer - weejuns and tassle loafers. It's hot here most of the time and it's a comfortable subtle concession to wearing decent shoes.

I don't usually wear trousers with silly embroidered things on them but I certainly see a lot of guys here doing it. They're called "go-to-hell" trousers. It's strictly a casual look. I grew up wearing this sort of traditional stuff and guess I still do. It blends nicely with vintage and beats the slovenly look most guys have adopted. I don't see blazers with shorts much - I encountered it a bit in college and later in Bermuda. I have alot of ribbon belts - the first ones I owned were from my dad. They date to at least the 40's.

I guess those photos didn't rile me up that much. BB has a lot worse to offer!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This thread was endlessly amusing to me. For one thing, the "Prep" look has never gone away, neither in Prep school nor here in Boston where it is prevalent amongst those who are above the T-shirt and baseball cap socio-economic group, for better or worse.

The Boston look is now conquering the world! Brooks Bros. and J.Crew are leading the charge.

Now, the embroidered pants are worn by older gentleman. I have never seen a man under 50 wearing them, but scores over doing so. I wouldn't mind if anyone did. I'm just wondering where his Nantucket reds are?

When most men are dressed like overgrown toddlers, the Prep look at least offers some level of sophistication.

Now, for my personal confession. I live in a blue blazer and have WeeJuns in every color. 80% of my ties are striped and most of my collars are button-down.

Another confession, when I was on a cruise at Christmastime, I wore docksiders, Patch Madras shorts, a white Lacoste polo shirt and a blue blazer. This is how I dress in summer and how I will always dress in summer, when not is what I call "safari gear" or seersucker. It's a good look and a comfortable one. ;) :) -Though I wouldn't wear orange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR