Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matching hats with suits?

rrog

A-List Customer
I like the silver belly CD, mainly for the contrast. But I'd try to wear a tie that ties it together. But on the other hand, I don't think you could go far wrong with the carbon Fed IV either. Congrats on your daugher's upcoming baptism.

rrog

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I'll just leave this here.

003-2.jpg

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
cptjeff said:
Wait- seafoam green? I've gotta see one of those...
Here you go. At least in person it fits the description of blue-green. By chance it turns out that I followed that advice from that page as well, except for the tie but I never wear striped ties (only plain or interestingly patterned for me).
l_1a7c3cac48cc48feb3d1152688f1b3c4.jpg

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
cptjeff said:
That looks like a light navy on screen. Is this more like it looks in real life?

seafoamsuit.jpg

If so, that's a pretty sharp look.
That's quite a relatively good representation of the colour (though the shadow-stripe pattern doesn't show on the camera), though it can be slightly darker depending on the lighting - it looks darker as I'm comparing it to my monitor under the artificial lighting in my room. And thanks :). Everyone seems to say that, now if only the fit was a little bit tighter.

Homburg?

pinstripe_fed4_b-1.JPG

I was wondering your guy's (and gal's) opinion on wearing an Homburg with this suit, I don't have one and I'd hate to buy one on a whim if it definitly won't work.

The suit is vested and 3 buttoned it's ink with a very think white pinstripe.

then would the homburg look too "costumey" I tried a light grey fedora, but looked way too "gangster"

Thanks for the input

Rob

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RobFedoraField said:
pinstripe_fed4_b-1.JPG

I was wondering your guy's (and gal's) opinion on wearing an Homburg with this suit, I don't have one and I'd hate to buy one on a whim if it definitly won't work.

The suit is vested and 3 buttoned it's ink with a very think white pinstripe.

then would the homburg look too "costumey" I tried a light grey fedora, but looked way too "gangster"

Thanks for the input

Rob
A Homburg is highly dressy, it seems to me. Personally, out in the real world, I wouldn't wear a Homburg in a work situation, as it would be too theatrical. I might try it in a casual situation (like out to a nice restaurant or something) where you could be somewhat tongue-in-cheek about it. But then I am not a Homburg wearer, and those aficianados might be bolder than I am. But I wouldn't buy a Homburg myself because I don't see myself actually wearing one, and for me it would be a waste of money.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Yous suit looks like a charcoal or black, with tone-on-tone pinstripe, in the pic, so a hat should be a lighter shade of gray, for some contrast. I understand you will actually wear a tie or bowtie; a homburg would fit perfectly with that suit, if you feel confident. I must admit I am biased because I do wear homburgs.

Regarding fedoras, if you decide to go that way, the same would apply. Unless donning other cliché complements, like a dark shirt with a light tie (or, worst, a white tie), I don't thinj you need worrying about the "gangster - costumey" issue.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
RobFedoraField said:

Do you look good in a homburg? If you don't know, do you look good in a fedora with the brim UP?

A lot of guys don't look good with the brim up so no matter what else they are wearing the homburg doesn't look right.

I sold my homburg a while back 'cause I just don't look good in up-brim hats.

Undertow

You might consider this thread for pairing ideas:

Hat Ads

It's too bad that homburgs have basically gone the way of top hats - theatrically appealing, but not practical. I say that with respect as I too have a homburg that I enjoy wearing occassionally, but receive the strangest looks (as if I don't get enough already with my fedoras).

In regard to color, I would match a hat like I match pocket squares or ties, liberally and with passion. Or in some cases, wear dark/light gray, they fit nearly everything. As long as you're comfortable with your selection, and you know how to hold yourself, you'll be 3-O!

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't dream of trying to match anything on my own. My color matching skills are zero. I always ask my wife. Half the time after hearing her answer I'm thinking "Really? Are you kidding me? Those two colors do/don't go together?" But what do I know.

let's see if I can answer all the questions..

I can't tell what color the suit is, against a navy suit it looks black, but against a black suit it looks blue, best I can describe it is "ink" the pinstripe is either silver or sky blue depending on the light.

I don't know if I look good in an homburg, I don't have access to one. The only "up" brim I have is a stratton, but I haven't really played around with it yet.

IMAG0054.jpg

it's not for work, I've just never been super happy with any hats I've worn with the suit. I am wanting to get a hat for my brother in law's wedding (I'm not in the wedding party, but it is very upscale). Here is another picture in the daylight. The hat is a Fed IV Carbon Grey. out of all the hats I own, I think this looks the best, but the problem is the hat is a size too small. so if I'm going to buy something, I want to get the best possible option. I've found that the suit seems too dressy for business interviews so it has been relegated to the few official family functions and nights at the theatre

IMG_3367.JPG

Rob,

I would say for a suit that color, a charcoal or dark gray hat would look best.
Black could work, but maybe look too severe. I could see a light gray also, but I understand what you mean about looking gangstery, although I agree with Neophyte, what the heck?

You look fine with the turned up brim of the Stratton, so a nice dark homburg could work also. The problem is, is it worth the cost of a homburg that you may not wear as much as a fedora.

I would consider a nice dark fedora with the suit.

Edward

Bartender
Vintage homburgs are, in my experience, much cheaper than vintage fedoras. With a little patience on eBay and other sources, you should be able to find one for not much at all. A black one is ideal, as it will also look great with black tie and semi-formal daywear should you go that route in future.

Undertow

RobFedoraField said:
I can't tell what color the suit is, against a navy suit it looks black, but against a black suit it looks blue, best I can describe it is "ink" the pinstripe is either silver or sky blue depending on the light.

Sounds like a midnight blue; too dark to be blue, too blue to be black. That's a great color for formal occassions.

I agree a charcoal color hat would fit, and also a light to medium gray. Don't worry about the "gangster" look - you're gonna get that no matter what you wear...along with Indiana Jones, Inspector Gadget, Mad Men, etc.

Duper

Practically Family
This thread made me think of when I got married 15 years back. I had seen a tie I liked some months earlier so I had purchased it. It was very unique paisley pattern with coppery gold tones, blue and green hues intermixed.

As part of the prepartions I naturally went out shopping for a new suit to wear on the special day.

I can still recall the salesman's face when I walked into the mens wear store and asked the gentleman " Excuse me,,,do you have a suit that goes with this tie?"

It is still my favourite tie.

metropd

One Too Many
Grays

When you wear a gray hat with a gray suit, Make sure the hue, or cast is similar in both grays. Bluish grays go better with navy, blue, black, many times gray and sometimes green. Warm grays go better with brown, tan, and olive green.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner