Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matt Deckard Apparel

Rainsfan89

New in Town
Matt, I just want to say that all your creations look fantastic! You and the people involved do a great job getting the details right. There is a classic style that can no longer be emulated in today's mass produced suits. Now, if you could create a special pricing scheme for college students like myself, that would be great lol

I talked to Matt a few days ago. He's been thru the ringer lately and finally got to make some positive changes in his lifestyle. That has freed him up to regain focus and re-evaluate his vision.

He's been working up some new projects including reconfiguring his system for ordering suits and looking at updating his website. He said that he is also working on prototypes of the next fedora in the MD lineup- maybe the MD-2?

FRASER_NASH

One of the Regulars
Folks - is this company still operating? I've looked at the basic website and it hasn't been updated for a long time. Actually, the website doesn't even look finished yet! when I'm going to spend at least a thousand bucks on a suit, I need reassurance , reliability and professionalism. The website isn't ticking any of those boxes right now (and I'm 'really' sorry to say that, as I'm all for supporting 'one man' cottage industrys, especially these days).

So, has anyone seen, heard, recently dealt with Deckard and this tailoring service (recently)? vouch for the professionalism, good communications, reliability? as the website is saying zilch. Thanks, in anticipation of hearing something (good I'm hoping).

Last edited:

C Gregory Purbaugh

New in Town
Folks - is this company still operating? I've looked at the basic website and it hasn't been updated for a long time. Actually, the website doesn't even look finished yet! when I'm going to spend at least a thousand bucks on a suit, I need reassurance , reliability and professionalism. The website isn't ticking any of those boxes right now (and I'm 'really' sorry to say that, as I'm all for supporting 'one man' cottage industrys, especially these days).

So, has anyone seen, heard, recently dealt with Deckard and this tailoring service (recently)? vouch for the professionalism, good communications, reliability? as the website is saying zilch. Thanks, in anticipation of hearing something (good I'm hoping).

Well, his blog site hasn't had an update for over a month, but I wouldn't call that too long. I would try calling him at the number supplied on the site. I've not dealt with him personally though.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
curious about the truth of falsity of this statement:

"Matt Deckard stuff is made by Mytailor.com/Hemrajani with a few frills added."

from here

GBR

One of the Regulars
Probably true - someone has to make it and it is certainly not Deckard

The concept that it is just frills added is false.
There are true key construction / design elements that MDA has reproduced that are authentic and are much more than being mere frills. The depth of those details is a major difference.

Even if you brought a vintage suit for a tailor to use as the guide to make a new one, not all tailors are well versed in the old style construction and tailoring techniques to recreate a vintage suit or jacket even with one as a guide. This is where MDA comes in and they focus on the primal important details along with the things that make something not only look right but actually be right. Sometimes they (MDA) do have to do something over to get it right but in the end they will get it right. Unfortunately, there are too many tailors that can't get vintage right no matter how many times they try.

There are vast differences and subtle differences in how things were made way back when versus now. As a supposed thing let us say that even simple things like how pleats on pants are done back then versus now may be the difference between them looking okay when standing like a mannequin and looking right even when you are going through the whole range of motion you might during the course of a day.

MDA continues to search out fabrics that are closer to the vintage stuff so that the action and drape as well as wear is more akin to the vintage clothing.

That is the focus and a passionate pursuit for Matt.

Last edited:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
The concept that it is just frills added is false.
There are true key construction / design elements that MDA has reproduced that are authentic and are much more than being mere frills. The depth of those details is a major difference.

I agree. Details like half belts and action backs are not frills that can be added onto a suit, the suit has to be made with them; and it appears that with MDA it is made properly (going by photos).

What many don't know is with MDA there are construction details (underneath not simply the outside) that are done to make the fit and action as done in vintage and unlike the suit jacket of today, and that you may not see but is apparent in the fit and function. It's foundational to the construction not simply a fashion thing

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
What many don't know is with MDA there are construction details (underneath not simply the outside) that are done to make the fit and action as done in vintage and unlike the suit jacket of today, and that you may not see but is apparent in the fit and function. It's foundational to the construction not simply a fashion thing

From what I've seen of MDA's offerings, I have to second that. Compared with offerings by other companies or many custom pieces I've seen loungers post pictures, Deckard's offerings are really in a class of their own. The fact that they may (or may not) be assembled by Hammurabi Bros. (MyTailor) is immaterial.

The leg work he's put into prototyping, patterning, and materials sourcing is not simply "bells and whistles" unless, of course you consider what someone like Art Faucet does as just "manufacturing"

Here is the thing, with MDA, Matt's knowledge of the vintage suits combined with the tailor he uses allows him to get the construction , details, fit and look to be correct. His tailors are accustom to taking his direction so that the finished item is up to Matt's standards. This relationship and level of ability and knowledge only came after serious research along with some trial and error.

Things were not always this way. Some years ago Matt was doing a seminar with others on vintage suits aboard the Queen Mary for the "Adventure Aboard the Queen Mary" Fedora Lounge event. He was discussing the fact that back then what he could not find was many vintage suits in his size. So he went through a long period trying to find tailors that had either the knowledge to use the old construction designs and techniques OR could learn to do it.

What he found was no one (within a certain price point) still made suits the way they did in the 30's and 40's the construction techniques and designs were not there anymore. In several attempts to get vintage replicated he has several suits that were custom made. In spite of the tailors being shown detailed drawings and actual vintage suits the tailors were not able to duplicate the construction and design. They were so ingrained in the modern style of construction they either could not or would not do it the way Matt wanted. For several of the tailors, this is after even promising Matt they would get it right on a second or third try.

What he found was most tailors really were not into making custom suits the way he Matt (or you) wanted them. Most were more concerned with making what they (the tailor) wanted to make, the way they (the tailor) wanted to make the suit.

Finally when Matt had found who he uses today, he and the tailor went through what Matt wanted and the samples Matt brought in of vintage suits. The tailor saw and appreciated the vintage suits, the construction details and techniques and set about to be able to make the suits the way Matt wants them.

Matt Deckard went through all sorts of learning curves on this, the expense of samples of vintage suits, initial work ups, revisions, to finally getting things right. He has the ability now to communicate with the tailor and the tailor responds to what Matt sets out as the directives for each suit. When you get a suit from Matt Deckard Apparel it is that foundation built on the investment in searching, vintage samples, learning, and the ability to communicate that results in getting it right. This learning does not stop.

While i have not had the ability to get a suit i did have a great vest made. It took a while and they did have to revise it once but when complete it is great. I have seen Matt's suits. I have spent time with him talking about what goes into the making of these suits and what it took for him to get to this point. I just wanted to dispel the idea that Matt is frills and no substance, that is simply not true.

Sorry if I ranted too much.:eeek:

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
What he found was no one still made suits the way they did in the 30's and 40's the construction techniques and designs were not there anymore.
This made me wince. You can say that he found no tailor at the price-point he was looking (and at where his suits are now priced) but please do not say that they do not exist today.There are dozens upon dozens of old line tailoring firms who can and regularly do make these Golden Era styles to the same standards of their predecessors; albeit at a much stiffer price. I don't mind a bit of puffery with the sales pitch but..........:rolleyes:

That said, getting even a reasonable facsimile of Golden Era style from the likes of Mytailor.com/Hemrajani is quite an achievement and MDA should be commended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk