Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matt Deckard Apparel

GBR

One of the Regulars
Can we have pictures of the inside of the jackets as well as the front of the trousers please?

pgoat

One Too Many
+1 on wanting some shirt cuff showing - tho u can't fault the jacket - the sleeves look spot on.

I think the cut looks fantastic. I also like the roll of the collar/lapels. I am not a big fan of this type of striping but it really looks great imho.:eusa_clap

Feraud

Bartender
The tailor did a nice job of matching the run of the stripe through the lapels and the pockets/body of the jacket.
MrNewportCustom said:
Suit-1-front.jpg

Suit-1-jacket.jpg

uit-1-lapels.jpg

[/IMG]

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
MudInYerEye said:
Nix the pocket flaps. Shorten the length of the coat's skirt. Tilt the coat's breast pocket more severely. Swap the buttons for amber bakelite or celluloid. Vest has too high a gorge (currently at montel williams height). Seat of the pants too snug. Fabric too costume-y. Besides that everything is perfect.

Cant say the high gorge vest isnt period!
2526092429_2a257ce7cb.jpg

Have to agree, I do enjoy vintage buttons. And yes a littl more tilt to the pocket would look smart.

But really, this is just so impressive for a first customer. The grin on Dagwood's face says it all. How many weeks did it take to complete?

Rittmeister

Familiar Face
Matt Deckard Clothing

I am new to this forum and have enjoyed many of the postings. I am going to begin posting pics of some of the many suits I have had made after studying hundreds of 30's 40's pictures with my tailor. Based on what I have looked at and read, I think what gives this suit (a beautiful suit in any case) a slightly less than vintage feel are the following:

The peak is too close to the shoulder. Older suits had a lower peak and it is usually cut horizontal to the floor, although this changed in the 30's between horizontal and slightly pointed up.

The skirt is probably a tad long. Period suits were slightly shorter than what we have been accustomed to seeing for the last 30 years.

The flaps were not as common, even in the UK. So, this does not really make a difference. No vent would probably be more period in feel.

Piped flapless pockets would probably have been more common in this type of suit.

The fabric is a personal choice, but this type of stripe would probably have been worn more by Hollywood and gangster types. I have a couple of suits myself with this type of stripping and that is the look I wanted.

All in all, it is the subtle details coming together that seem to create the period look. Sometimes, if one thing is not there it changes to whole look. That said, I think the suit is great. It is perfect for getting the period feel while still being contemporary, something I am sure many want so as not to get called Bogie, Al Capone or whatever other stupid icon comes into the minds of the majority of ignorant people many of us have to work with.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Rittmeister said:
I am new to this forum and have enjoyed many of the postings.

Welcome!

Rittmeister said:
The peak is too close to the shoulder. Older suits had a lower peak and it is usually cut horizontal to the floor, although this changed in the 30's between horizontal and slightly pointed up.

I'm afraid this is an over-generalization, both concerning the height and the angle. I think the angle at the suit above are rather modestly vertical - think 1992 for a virtual comparison.

Rittmeister said:
The skirt is probably a tad long.

Agreed, but a matter of personal choice back then as now.

I'm not sure if the stripes are so moblike. One tends to forget that mobsters wanted to look like businessmen, and not all of them overshot the mark (figuratively, that is).

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
Welcome!

Originally Posted by Rittmeister
The skirt is probably a tad long.

Agreed, but a matter of personal choice back then as now.

I believe the current style is about knuckle length.
But the real test is from the rear, making sure the posterior is covered. Of course, there are the `60s bumfreezer suits & right now there are plenty of trendy suits that short style and definitely not what this thread is about.

This all gets thrown off if the subject has long arms, short legs, long torso, etc.
If we followed every rule, how boring life would be.

Dagwood

Practically Family
Back of pants and Front/Inside pants:
pict0166ue0.jpg
pict0167ii4.jpg

Backside:
pict0168wb6.jpg
pict0171ky5.jpg

No jacket:
pict0169fb0.jpg

Longer shirt/pocket flaps tucked in:
pict0170iq5.jpg

Inside of jacket:
pict0172tt9.jpg

Snookie

Practically Family
Nice work!

Dagwood, I'd especially like to complement you on your willingness to be the 1st, and to let everyone voice their opinions! That takes a tough shell, I hope you remain pleased with your suit even after everyone's voiced their judgement.

Fridaynight

Familiar Face
I think it looks excellent. Would like to learn more about 'Matt Deckard Apparel' though, are you going to open up a new thread with all the info at some point Matt?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR