Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matt Deckard Apparel

Bugsy

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
I'm going to tell you right now that tailoring is a funny science. I've been to plenty of tailors that have years and years of experience , yet that never means they'll do what I want them to do, which 99 percent of the time is tequnique from before they started tailoring. I will tell you that those that I have working for me are hard to find, and that I inspect every suit and make sure they come out amazing. Same with the shirts.

I can personally vouch for just how talented Matt's tailors are.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The cream wool flannels are a great showcase of what you're able to offer, Matt. If you can make those, you can come across with the goods. Great stuff.

Matt has done the work for you.

Matt has spent over a decade researching vintage suit details. He has worked hard to find those tailors that will actually do it the way he specifies, to follow the old designs and get the details, drape and fit correct.

As listed above most tailors today don't know the techniques and details from the 20's to the 50's. Tailors will actually talk you out of what you want, just so they don't have to make what you want but get to to make what they are used to making.

At the vintage suit seminar aboard the Queen Mary 2006 Matt has told us about the number of tailors that he went to that didn't do what he wanted. So finding any tailor willing to examine the old suits, learn the designs and techniques is actually a rare thing.

Matt has done the work, invested the time and money and brings HIS talents and those of his hand picked tailors to you so you don't have to fight to get the suit right.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John in Covina said:
Matt has spent over a decade researching vintage suit details. He has worked hard to find those tailors that will actually do it the way he specifies, to follow the old designs and get the details, drape and fit correct.

As listed above most tailors today don't know the techniques and details from the 20's to the 50's. Tailors will actually talk you out of what you want, just so they don't have to make what you want but get to to make what they are used to making.

Matt has, at the vintage suit seminar aboard the Queen Mary 2006, told us about the number of tailors that he went to that didn't do what he wanted. So finding any tailor willing to examine the old suits, learn the designs and techniques is actually a rare thing.

Matt has done the work, invested the time and money and brings HIS talents and those of his hand picked tailors to you so you don't have to fight to get the suit right.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap Precisely! As a member here for three years and a long-time lurker before that, I've followed Matt's posts and learned immensely from the knowledge he's shared with this forum. All kudos to him for his hard work and for not giving up until he achieved his goal.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Thanks, I'm all about the fit, and my fit is one that... Well I see companies going for style, or going just for comfort when it comes to clothing (maybe not so drastic to one ideal or the other, yet my focus is just to make the suit the ultimate outfit for my clients). A suit should be viable as a daily piece of clothing that gives you both comfort and style, and I want to bring back some of the durability that's been lost with much of the super light weight fabrics.

These suits fit comfortably, and I'm hoping it shows in the photos. With the fabric and the fit you should be able to canoe down the Nile for a week in your suit and then have it cleaned and pressed for the dinner celebrating your return. They may not look practical in all situations, though if needed they should wear and feel comfortable in all situations.

As long as my clients are happy and have a durable suit that they can abuse, one made to the highest of standards, I'm extremely happy.

Paul Crowley

New in Town
New Deckard suit

Matt recently put together a lovely navy blue three-piece for me. It's a bit more conservative than some of the other suits that he's put together for his customers, but the elements are all there and the construction is amazing. I wanted a classic looking suit that I could wear in court and he delivered. I work in a profession where everyone wears suits and I still get compliments in this one. It's as comfortable as a pair of pajamas.

I have had suits tailored in Hong Kong previously, and the tailors that Matt is working with are every bit as good as the folks across the street. Hopefully Matt will help out by posting a picture or two, as I'm not nearly savvy enough to do so myself. Suffice it to say that I was very pleased with the result.

mike said:
Matt Deckard Apparel - thee speakeasy of clothing companies! lol

Well, I would say like the speakeasy, Matt's reputaion is well deserved and is being spread by word of mouth.

It's the growing list of posted accolades by those that have purchased MD's apparel that provides for such a high reputation. Matt's work is something to aspire to owning.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that a reversal of fortunes (hopefully soon)shall allow me to be counted as one of those proud owners.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Here is Paul's suit. Traditional businessman look in a heavy 16 oz wool serge. Navy blue; tough as nails. Perfect fit and proportioned just right. No cutaway at the buttons so both are functional if wanted for use.

A tamer style, though not everything needs a belt back.

Think a Navy version of the suit Costner wore in The Untouchables.

l_e9e86b6c7ed0428ba153ae9442ed8bc1.jpg

yoonie

Familiar Face
Man, I was going to ask to see examples of a little more conservative, business like cut but you knocked the wind out of me with that picture. You might be hearing from me soon =)

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Matt Deckard said:
Here is Paul's suit. Traditional businessman look in a heavy 16 oz wool serge. Navy blue; tough as nails. Perfect fit and proportioned just right. No cutaway at the buttons so both are functional if wanted for use.

A tamer style, though not everything needs a belt back.

Think a Navy version of the suit Costner wore in The Untouchables.

l_e9e86b6c7ed0428ba153ae9442ed8bc1.jpg

Wow, 16oz wool, a perfect winter suit. I'll keep this in mind for next winter.
How would you describe this style? Vintage inspired? The blazer seems closer to `60s than `40s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic