Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Max Factor leaving US?

Lollipop

Familiar Face
Yep...I just googled and all the links were about Max Factor "leaving" the US...I read on one of the sites, That it was because Cover girl was making better business, or something along those lines.

Argh...I really liked the foundation, too!:rage:

Emer

One of the Regulars
:( Bummer. I've never used their stuff, but I was planning on trying a few things after reading the beauty bargains thread. I wonder if you'll still be able to buy them online like at Drugstore.com or Amazon.

GibsonGirl

New in Town
What a shame! I've been wanting to try the pan make up i hear so much about.

I can understand why they've been having issues though. I don't think their marketing has been very strong. They have such a wonderful heritage and company story and strong, iconic products, yet I don't feel they've been playing to their strengths. They've been trying to rely on trendy gimicky products (um two tone mascara?) and have been using almost trashy-looking campaigns which just seems to me to be fighting against what the company is all about. Old-hollywood is in and they could be playing that up, using classic beauties and playing up that old-hollywood glamour that the company was built upon.

Vanessa

One Too Many
roselily said:
I'll miss the auburn mascara. It's so hard to find even BROWN mascara!

I'll have to stock up on this. I have a hard time finding brown & lighter mascaras as well.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
GibsonGirl said:
What a shame! I've been wanting to try the pan make up i hear so much about.

I can understand why they've been having issues though. I don't think their marketing has been very strong. They have such a wonderful heritage and company story and strong, iconic products, yet I don't feel they've been playing to their strengths. They've been trying to rely on trendy gimicky products (um two tone mascara?) and have been using almost trashy-looking campaigns which just seems to me to be fighting against what the company is all about. Old-hollywood is in and they could be playing that up, using classic beauties and playing up that old-hollywood glamour that the company was built upon.

I think it might also have something to do with all the bad press Andrew Luster (Max Factor heir) created for the company. Luster is serving 124 years in prison after being convicted of over 80 counts of rape between 1996 to 2000. The case received a ton of press a few years ago when "Dog the Bounty Hunter" captured Luster after he fled to Mexico to avoid his sentencing. I can't imagine bouncing back from that kind of media coverage to be an easy task.

stephie.jean

New in Town
So sad...

Their Lasting Performance Foundation in Light Champagne was the only drugstore foundation that is both yellow enough and pale enough for me in the winter...I guess I should stock up.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
roselily said:
I'll miss the auburn mascara. It's so hard to find even BROWN mascara!

No kidding. First Bourjois left Sephora with their brown waterproof, now Max Factor. I guess it is back to specialty mail order for "special" auburn mascara. :(

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
sixsexsix, I think you are right. I like their Pan-stick makeup, however that news story left quite a bad taste in my mouth. It is really too bad all around-- after discussing it with a friend a while back we had both decided not to purchase any more MF products because the association was just that bad. I haven't researched it enough to know, but I thought Proctor Gamble owned MF at this point, so who knows if by purchasing MF products we are indirectly supporting Luster or not-- probably not. But even so, like I said the association was just too bad.

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
I don't know anything about Luster or whether he still gets money from Max Factor sales, but I found Max Factor at Bed, Bath and Beyond last week. The packaging says it's made in Italy and distributed by P&G, for what it's worth.

Also for what it's worth, I picked up the dark auburn mascara, brown eye pencil, light mineral powder, and a lipstick. I might have to go back and pick up the Pan Stick makeup while I can, too!

RD

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Most disgruntling...

And I just got a few WONDERFUL new lipsticks, Max Factor Runway Matte in #36, #40 and #44. Buy them if you can find them.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
Don't worry, you've got us European girls to get those products for you!

To my knowledge Benefit's Bad Gal mascara will be available in brown soon.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Goldfish said:
Don't worry, you've got us European girls to get those products for you!

To my knowledge Benefit's Bad Gal mascara will be available in brown soon.

LOL :) Im happy to ship from Australia too!!

A friend of mine in the states sends me American stuff. We call them "care packages"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran