Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

McGregor Drizzler or Baracuta G-9...

Salv

One Too Many
You're both quite welcome - the weather has taken a very wet turn for the worst here in SE England, so the Drizzler is back in the wardrobe and the Aero Barnstormer is back out. I work at Heathrow Airport and we get a daily weather forecast; for today it reads:

THE SSW WIND WILL INCREASE DURING THE MORNING
TO MEAN SPEED OF AROUND 20 KT WITH GUSTS 30 TO
35KT BUT ISOL GUSTS NEAR 40KT MAY OCCUR
NEAR HEAVIER SHOWERS.

Not quite hurricane weather, admittedly, but I'm not going to wear a Drizzler in that.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Excellent!

I really like this jacket! It falls into place exaclty as planned. A very 40's sort of jacket. And well made, I might add. A GREAT deal at $19.

Though I think grampa had a different sort of velcro fastener on the inner pocket...

Salv

One Too Many
scotrace said:
I really like this jacket! It falls into place exaclty as planned. A very 40's sort of jacket. And well made, I might add. A GREAT deal at $19.

Though I think grampa had a different sort of velcro fastener on the inner pocket...

The design is virtually unchanged since it was introduced in 1947 - the vintage ones I've seen lacked a lining and didn't have the inner pocket, but there have been no real changes to the basic design for nearly 60 years.

Salv

One Too Many
The Baracuta G-4

Here's an interesting twist on the G-9 - the G-4 by Baracuta:

714-500.jpg

714-d8.jpg

This only seems to be available in the UK from Oi Polloi (although are plenty of google hits for Japanese websites) - according to Oi Polloi it's a "Two pocket Harrington golf jacket with fully vented back, belted adjustments at waist, button adjustable cuffs, tartan liner with one internal pocket. Two way zip with two-button fastening collar, button fastening flapped hand pockets. Made in England."

It has lost the elasticated waistband and cuffs, and is quite a handsome jacket. I especially like the waist adjusters.

Speedster

Practically Family
Salv said:
Here's an interesting twist on the G-9 - the G-4 by Baracuta:

714-500.jpg

714-d8.jpg

This only seems to be available in the UK from Oi Polloi (although are plenty of google hits for Japanese websites) - according to Oi Polloi it's a "Two pocket Harrington golf jacket with fully vented back, belted adjustments at waist, button adjustable cuffs, tartan liner with one internal pocket. Two way zip with two-button fastening collar, button fastening flapped hand pockets. Made in England."

It has lost the elasticated waistband and cuffs, and is quite a handsome jacket. I especially like the waist adjusters.

That is a very nice variation on the Baracuta.

Marv

A-List Customer
ah the black harrington, I remember them well and had me a hand me down in the early 80's which I wore too death......great jacket.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I was watching 'Man's Favorite Sport?' last night and noticed that Rock Hudson was wearing a Baracuta G9 (Harrington) jacket throughout the film when he was up at the fishing tournament. Funny how it went from an outdoors recreation jacket, to a mos/punker jacket back to an outdoors jacket all in a short 40 years.;)

Cheers!

Dan

BBanzai

New in Town
James Dean McGregor

I'm coming in to this one a bit late, but for those interested, Real McCoy Japan does make (or made at least, I don't see itin this year's catalog) a replica James Dean jacket. They call it a Drizzler, but it's really an Anti-Freeze. I have one. It's very nice, the usual Real McCoy's high quality.

http://www.c-king.jp/mj5130.html

Salv

One Too Many
More Baracuta goodies - limited edition 70th Anniversary Celebrity Icon G-9s. There are three colours/models to choose from: the Presley in tan; the McQueen in natural; and the Sinatra in navy blue. Each has a quote from the celebrity printed on the tartan lining and comes in a special presentation box.

The McQueen:
04-04-2007_Baracuta_LTD_Natural_Large.jpg
04-04-2007_Baracuta_LTD_Natural_Detail5.jpg

Baracuta have also got a special offers section in their online shop, with G-9s in various colours for just £80, rather than the usual £120. Sky blue for example:
B3123G9SKY_front.jpg

They ship to the US for a further £30.

Alan F

New in Town
Size of Drizzler

I was thinking of getting one of those $19.99 McGregor drizzlers on ebay--I'm a 46 Long (I'm nearly 6'3)--would sleeve length on Xl be ok? Sorta think for $19.99 might be tad short cut?
af

Salv

One Too Many
I bought one of the XL Drizzlers from eBay and the sleeve length on mine is 24" from the shoulder seam, and 19" from the armpit. I'm 5'10" and that's just about perfect on me, so it probably would be too short for you.

Salv

One Too Many
Just excavating this thread to point out to UK members that some branches of T K Maxx have original Baracuta G-9s reduced from £130 to just £49.99. A friend got one a couple of months ago and I've been checking my local branch once a week. Until yesterday I've only been able to find small sizes, but they've recently had another delivery and now have 3 or 4 tan jackets in large sizes, a dark blue, a very nice green (too small for me though) and a couple in a blue and grey check in XL, one of which is now safe in my wardrobe.

There's a store locator here.

Salv

One Too Many
Search for Baracuta on UK eBay Speedster - there are plenty for a Buy-It-Now price of £54.99 plus £12.95 p&p to Europe, and plenty starting at £44.99, all BNWT. I was going to allow another few weeks, then if I hadn't found one at T K Maxx I'd have bid on one of the £44.99 jackets.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I wonder if they sell them in Australia. Not all that keen on the G9 knits so the Drizzler would probably suit my taste better (as won by Mickey Rourke in Barfly).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart