Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

McLaughlin and Hayes.

Tanker

New in Town
Hello All,

Just wanted to pass on an experience.

I got a vintage hat; it's a Dobbs Homburg that I wanted cut down to a snap brim. I planned to take it to Salmagundi in Boston, but they no longer do renovations (Jessen says he's focusing on newly made hats, and good luck to him. He makes nice hats). He suggested that I send my hats to McLaughlin and Hayes in Milwaukee to get the work down.

I send the hat and then I get a call from them. They are declining to do the work saying its a primo vintage piece that should stay as is. They offer to find a similar vintage hat and arrange a swap/sale.

I consider it for a moment, and agree. When someone declines work on principle, you should listen. Also, if they care about hats that much I doubt I'm going to come up short on this deal.

This every happen to anyone else?

Lorne

Mighty44

One Too Many
Hello All,

I got a vintage hat; it's a Dobbs Homburg that I wanted cut down to a snap brim. I planned to take it to Salmagundi in Boston, but they no longer do renovations (Jessen says he's focusing on newly made hats, and good luck to him. He makes nice hats). He suggested that I send my hats to McLaughlin and Hayes in Milwaukee to get the work down.

I send the hat and then I get a call from them. They are declining to do the work saying its a primo vintage piece that should stay as is. They offer to find a similar vintage hat and arrange a swap/sale.

I consider it for a moment, and agree. When someone declines work on principle, you should listen. Also, if they care about hats that much I doubt I'm going to come up short on this deal.

Lorne
You will find people on both sides of this issue on the site. Most here are purists of one stripe or another and it probably also depends what modification is being discussed.

Converting a quality vintage homburg into a fedora is not uncommon, at all, and there are several talented members who could do this for you. @Randall Renshaw recently did this for me, converting a Stetson St. Regis into a whippet-style hat. For me it’s a no-brainer as I would never wear a homburg anyway and now this beautiful vintage hat is getting a lot of wear instead of sitting in a box somewhere.

That said—I do respect them for trying to talk you out of it!

David

Tanker

New in Town
I've had a Homburg cut into a fedora. It was a Knox. The hat is my favorite, possibly to much so, as I only wear it on special occasions.

I'm actually wearing in in my avatar.

So, yes, folks will do the work. I'm just impressed, and was convinced, when they said they didn't want to.

Lorne

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
This question reminds me of opening the sweatband up for fit. I don’t mind opening it on some hats, but others I won’t do it. But better to open it and wear the hat - especially because my head size is so small (size 7) if I can’t wear it than who can?

I only have one that I opened though - I couldn’t bring myself to cut a few others whose interiors are just too beautiful.

Hello All,

Lorne
I am a custom hatter that does restorations on vintage hats. Thankfully I have never been asked to alter a great vintage piece. Kudos to McLaughlin for taking that stance. The discussion pops up here in the Lounge from time to time about altering good vintage hats to fit, trim the brim etc etc. Opinion is divided here....between it being a venal sin to it being your hat do what the hell you like with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner