Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Measuring myself

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Ok guys I know this may sound really silly but I need some suit advice. I will not get into the argument of price and quality on this thread, I have already made my mind up to buy a couple of suits online and have them tailored. My only question is that I want to get them as close to my measurements as possible. With that all being said is it possible to measure yourself at home with a common tape measurer? I know it is not perfect like a tailors measurer would be but I just want a general idea. If it is possible any tips would be appreciated because I am stuck whether to buy a Regular length or a long length I seem to be stuck in the middle!

Johnnysan

One Too Many
I have the same problem...my advice is to err on the side of ordering your size in a "long." You can always have the jacket shortened a bit if need be, but you can't add much in the way of length.

Bugsy

One Too Many
Ok guys I know this may sound really silly but I need some suit advice. I will not get into the argument of price and quality on this thread, I have already made my mind up to buy a couple of suits online and have them tailored. My only question is that I want to get them as close to my measurements as possible. With that all being said is it possible to measure yourself at home with a common tape measurer? I know it is not perfect like a tailors measurer would be but I just want a general idea. If it is possible any tips would be appreciated because I am stuck whether to buy a Regular length or a long length I seem to be stuck in the middle!

I think your best bet is to go your tailor or your local dry cleaner, and have them do it for you. That's what I did.

It's better if someone else measures you since they can see exactly where the tape is "laying" when it goes around you, that it is not crooked or out of place. Also. if the tailor on line has a diagram with the where to measure you can bring that with and have the info filled out by someone with experience in measuring you're better off.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I own a sports coat that I love but I feel it may be a size too large. So I went one size lower and a L since as one poster said I can always have the jacket shortened.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Thanks guys it is much appreciated. The only problem I see is would a tailor or dry cleaner charge? I mean I would give them business after I bought the suit but don't really want to pay to be measured.

The only problem I see is would a tailor or dry cleaner charge?

It depends on the person, all you can do is ask! Sometimes when you are enthusiastic about what is going to be done they may give you a break. But I seem to recall this question coming up elsewhere and the charge was from about $8 to $20 for this service.

Does the suit maker have a list or diagram showing where to measure? Be sure to print it out and bring it with.

Also some times the tailor when measuring may ask if you like a loose or snug fit.

carldelo

One Too Many
If you have a tailor measure you up, you will be using the same person to tailor the suit when it shows up, right?
So, let them know that, and that should help persuade them to do the measuring, and maybe for no charge.

Tailor Tom

One of the Regulars
I'll weigh in on this.
Go get measured properly by a reputable tailor. Even if it costs money (which he should, if the tailor is worth his salt, he needs to charge for his time to stay in business), it will be worth it. Because the fit will be closer and thus eliminating some of the final alteration charges.
As for the idea that to order it long and then get it shorted, BAD. when a coat is made, its length is factored into locating other aspects of the garment. If ordered long and then shorted, most likely your pockets will hang lower on your body, button stance will be lower and the lapel roll will be low...and more importantly, it will look like its been shortened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24