Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Medicine cabinet for a corner sink?

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Brace yourself for a really ugly sink...

You were warned...

b749d284.jpg

Any suggestions as to what kind of medicine cabinet works with a corner sink? The bathroom will be returning to an early-1920s decor.

-Dave

Chicago Jimmy

Familiar Face
I remember seeing a couple different corner vanities available when I was remodeling my bathroom. Cornersinks.us has some nice choices.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
That sink (sans rust stains) is perfectly appropriate for an early 'Twenties bath.

A vanity of any sort is not, at least no for a room decorated in authentic style.

Cupboard sinks were used for a brief period in the late Nineteenth Century, but were largely abandoned in the early Twentieth, a casualty of the push for new sanitation. The dark cupboard under a sink, with its possibly leaking pipes, was considered a breeding ground for corruption, rather like having a little K Street under the sink.

High end baths of this period were fitted with large marble topped sinks, perhaps standing on bronze legs. Mid-range bathrooms were fitted with pedestal sinks, made of enameled cast iron, or of vitreous china. Inexpensive baths were fitted with wall-hung sinks, such as yours.

As to decor, before the mid-twenties white tile or plaster scored in a tile pattern (and heavily painted with glossy white enamel) was almost universal in inexpensive bathrooms and was used in the majority of mid-range baths. Floors were of linoleum in the cheapest work, but were more commonly made of the common 1" white hex tile, which was almost universal, although apartments were occasionally found with terrazzo floors.

Bathrooms of this period will appear rather sterile to the modern eye, but then this sterility was the point.

1933, high style bathroom (this room would have belonged to a home in the top 1/2 of 1 percent):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/americanvintagehome/3485376186/

High-end bathroom in 1925:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/americanvintagehome/2972966667/in/set-72157606542320982/

More modest (but still upper middle class) bathrooms of the 'teens and early 'twenties:

http://1912bungalow.com/2004/03/historical-bathroom-photos/

NJIndy

New in Town
I have to agree... the sink (minus the stains) fits the era.
Refinish it and maybe you could add some chrome legs and/or a wire basket/shelf below it.

NJIndy

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Well, I learned something from this post: The term "vanity" must mean the cabinet under the sink. That's not what I meant and the original post has been edited accordingly.

To clarify, I don't think the sink itself is ugly, just its condition. With a refinish and abridge faucet, it's welcome to stay. I just would like to find a cabinet for above it.

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats