Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Underwear Basics: Underwear, Undershirts

CaptainB

Familiar Face
Shirts and undershirts

Dear Loungers,
I've got the problem that with every white dress shirt I own, one can see my undershirt through it. Is there any fabric especially recommended to solve this problem, or were shirts just from a thicker fabric in the old days, when everybody wore something underneath?

Thank you,
CaptainB

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
The undershirt has been discussed on the FL, at some length.
I don't like them and am of the opinion that a good quality white shirt should be opaque enough that it doesn't show what's beneath- be it an undershirt, or lack thereof.

I can't vouch for the thickness/opacity of all vintage shirts, however.

B
T

Orsini

Familiar Face
CaptainB said:
Dear Loungers,
I've got the problem that with every white dress shirt I own, one can see my undershirt through it. Is there any fabric especially recommended to solve this problem, or were shirts just from a thicker fabric in the old days, when everybody wore something underneath?

Thank you,
CaptainB
You might try undershirts that are a mottled grey color -- sometimes merchandised as "oatmeal." They do not show through the dress shirt quite so badly. If the dress shirt will be worn with a tie, make sure the undershirt is a crew neck. Otherwise, wear a v-neck.

Corky

Practically Family
I think the problem you describe has to do with thread count...

I think the problem you describe has to do with thread count.

Thread count is a measure of the coarseness or fineness of fabric. It is measured by counting the number of threads contained in one square inch of fabric, including both the length (warp) and width (weft) threads.

In an effort to justify higher prices, high-end retailers have started selling men's cotton shirts with thread-counts as high as 220. On a typical men's shirt, thread-counts, which measure the number of threads per square inch, are about 100 or less.

Look for a heavy weight all cotton fabric with reasonably thick diameter of thread and a high thread count (say 150 threads per inch) and your problem should be solved.

Brooks Brothers Pinpoint Oxford is an example of a very tightly woven fabric with a very high thread count per inch, making the fabric very soft, like a silk or broadcloth.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Personally I prefer an T-shirt under my dress shirts. Makes them look smoother, and even in warm weather to me they are cooler. Also, I've seen so many guys that have swear stains under their arms. ICK...

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Highlander said:
Personally I prefer an T-shirt under my dress shirts. Makes them look smoother, and even in warm weather to me they are cooler. Also, I've seen so many guys that have swear stains under their arms. ICK...

I've always been one of the no undershirt types, and since I usually wear a waistcoat it's never a problem. But it's getting too warm for three piece suits, and I think I may try an undershirt this year to avoid the sweat problem, and maybe even stay a little cooler (here's hoping).

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
We asked our vintage dealer gurus about this...

as DH Chuck normally wears a v neck or crew neck short sleeve tshirt with his dress shirts. We work with a husband and wife team (Roberto and Jula Isola of City Vintage) for our family's vintage clothing. They both said that for 20s to 40s vintage clothing, the men back then wore the sleeveless tank style (commonly called a wife beater- yeah its a lousy name) t-shirt under their dress shirts.

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
I find this exact problem all the time. In my show, I wear a white shirt all the time. Under the hot lights, I sweat and it yellows the collar. So I don't get too many wears out of a white shirt before the yellowing won't come out.
(if anyone has tips on this I am all ears!)

So I buy a lot of white shirts. I am by no means rich so that means buying shirts cheap. And I end up with the problem of them being see through. I have found that the 'wife beater' shirts are less seen than short sleeve tee's. But they don't protect your underarms from sweat stains like the short sleeves do.

I found a somewhat happy medium. I found a shirt at The Mens Wearhouse made by Pronto Uomo (sp?) You can get a white shirt for about $25. If I get about 5 uses out of it, it comes to $5 a use. So I am happy with that.

Hope it helps.

Chad

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
shortbow said:
Yep, all ya need is oxford cloth. Much nicer in all respects than all this flimsy new fangled stuff.

I was just commenting on Oxford cloth this weekend. I mentioned something about the original Oxford cloth, and a friend said "This IS Oxford cloth." "No, that's pinpoint Oxford, and that's a completely different fabric. True Oxford cloth is a little coarser weave, I believe a larger thread, and it makes a nicer shirt."

Dixie_Amazon

Practically Family
It is a combination of sweat, body oils and skin cells. Try applying some shampoo or Fels Naptha Soap to the collar with a wet toothbrush. Also if you pre-treat the collar every time you wash it, it may help.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Chad Sanborn said:
I find this exact problem all the time. In my show, I wear a white shirt all the time. Under the hot lights, I sweat and it yellows the collar. So I don't get too many wears out of a white shirt before the yellowing won't come out.
(if anyone has tips on this I am all ears!)

Try soaking in Oxyclean overnight - three or four scoops in the washer with only enough water to cover the shirts. Let it agitate for a minute or two and then soak.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Matt Deckard said:
I've recently moved from Boxer briefs to trunks and find the legs ride up less than the boxer shorts since the legs are shorter.

I think I need to lose a bit more weight before I switch to boxers... I just don't like material bunching around while I'm walking or dancing.

Okay... now I'm back to Briefs... Skinnier legs means the legs of the shorts stay put.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner