Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mike Hammer's hat.

I'm a fan of noir films, myself. They're the inspiration for a lot of the hats that I convert.... there's a lot of awesome hats in those films.

One of my conversions. Gray Resistol Stagecoach...
Gray-Converted-Stagecoach-11-A.jpg

4X Stetson Longhair Western that I converted last year. The 1 5/8 black ribbon and bow came off a vintage hat...
Brown-Hat-4-X-Stetson-2-A.jpg

What's your favorite film noir movie? For me, "Murder My Sweet" with Dick Powell, (1945) and "Out of the Past" with Robert Mitchum, (1947).
Both of those are great. I like pretty much anything with Bogie, too. And "Laura" because that's my wife's name.

WildBill203

New in Town
I have found a Hat company, wwwlastbestwest.com they makes custom to your size Cowboy & Fedora Hats and for movies & TV shows. Not Cheap at all. I found this company for my western movie hats and just found out about them making Fedora Hats and with with brim.

I have found a Hat company, wwwlastbestwest.com they makes custom to your size Cowboy & Fedora Hats and for movies & TV shows. Not Cheap at all. I found this company for my western movie hats and just found out about them making Fedora Hats and with with brim.

I would not consider them for a fedora.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-last-best-west-company.48327/

My hat was too small for me, but the felt characteristics and the build quality didn’t super impress me. Mine was a 50% beaver, so maybe the higher end hats are nicer?

My hat (long since moved on):

AF23C638-238F-40AF-96F6-1C1CC19072B3.jpeg
D0B29276-C052-4C50-8C35-57FD1133EE51.jpeg
D8E30CE1-C53B-4480-9B01-B5D623422611.jpeg

My problem with all these custom western hatters is that I can pay less than half as much for another custom hatter who uses the same felt and with what i subjectivity feel is a greater application of skill and talent. I end up with a superior hat (all just my opinion based on my preferences and experiences) and pay far less. Not that my preferred hatters can do all the styles or offer all the options. It’s a very personal experience/decision but if it’s all just the same felt, leather sweatband, satin liner, and ribbon I personally just don’t see the value in a $1000+ western when very talented hatters will make the same hat for half or less. Others obviously feel differently as those western hatters sell a lot of hats.

Personally, I’d never consider the Last Best Cowboy for a custom fedora even if it was priced competitively.

TheManInTheHat

One of the Regulars
It could be one of many makes, but it looks a lot like my Akubra Stylemaster.
The grey Stylemaster seems not to come with a black ribbon though. The Federation 4 Akubra has a black ribbon like the Hammer hat. So does my just received Biltmore Governor and many other great grey fedoras, I think

Attachments

• IMG_4134.jpeg
    IMG_4134.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4135.jpeg
    IMG_4135.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 27

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21