Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military Hat Photos

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think those are fine here Windsock. They are a type of headgear ,so post away. I think I have a German Flight helmut but I will need to find it.Great collection you have.

DOUGLAS

Denmark
DSCN1524.jpg

DSCN1519.jpg

DOUGLAS

USSR Boonie hat
DSCN1464.jpg

EAST GERMANY ( interesting that this is just a standard issue peaked cap for other ranks but someone has removed all the wire and filling and added a leather visor to make it a type of crusher.) I like it
DSCN1583.jpg

astaire

One of the Regulars
I am in awe

Douglas and Windsock, your posts are truly awesome!!!

I have great respect for serious collectors like both of you. I aspire to one day become a collector with a collection half as complete as what the two of you have acquired. For the past couple of years, i'm getting serious with mechanical mantle clocks. But i'm only at the early stage, still trying to educate myself. But the determinations that both of you have are truly something I am in awe. And for that, I thank both of you.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Windsock said:
RAAF Pith Helmet, named to a Pilot Officer but i've not been able to identify the Sqn. This is great and it's a large size;

IMG_3953.jpg
Windsock, that RAF pith is awesome! Was the leather binding on the brim edge common? I don't think I've ever seen that, but I've not seen many originals.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I didn't realize that either! That must not show up well in old photos, or more likely I'm just not looking closely enough. That really looks sharp. I'd love to get a repro with that feature. I see a lot of repro Wolseley helmets, but none of them have the accurate suspension. All that I've seen have velcro headbands and nylon webbing, let alone leather-bound brims. How common are the RAF Wolseleys?

Windsock

A-List Customer
Mojave Jack said:
Windsock, that RAF pith is awesome! Was the leather binding on the brim edge common? I don't think I've ever seen that, but I've not seen many originals.

Hmm... RAAF MJ ;)
I don't really know, this ones made in Melbourne, and others seen are the same.

Here's something a little different. c 1927 US Air Corps training helmet.

IMG_4015.jpg

Here's a shot of it being used...

winter1927.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Windsock said:
Hmm... RAAF MJ ;)
I don't really know, this ones made in Melbourne, and others seen are the same.

Sorry! Maybe that's the difference between the Wolseleys, right there. Isn't everything Australian better than it's British counterpart? I'm kidding, of course! No rocks heaved at me from the UK, please!

Windsock said:
Here's something a little different. c 1927 US Air Corps training helmet.

IMG_4015.jpg

Here's a shot of it being used...

winter1927.jpg
hat's excellent! You've got quite a collection there.

Windsock

A-List Customer
Oohh , be careful MJ, might start something. I appeasement anyone who is offended take a look at my avatar, that's my wheels, Brit Steel.

Re the edge binding to the Pith i'd say it was universally noted that the leather was a good idea.

Now more AAF stuff, and i'm coming to the end of the main collection. There is a number of other odd things i'll post when I replace my digital (busted) but I guess i'll have to hand the thread back to Douglas or any others to put up their gear.

AAF A9 Canvas flight helmet and resistol goggles;

IMG_1329.jpg

AN-H-15 Summer Flight helmet and B8 goggles

Picture018.jpg

A11 late WWII era A11 Flight helmet, A14 Oxy mask and AN-6530 Goggles. Helmet blonged to a Pilot of the 10 Troop Carrier Squadron USAAFE (Post War I suspect)

IMG_1321.jpg

On quality of item, sophistication of the design my observation having handled this particular gear would be that the US stuff was best, the Brit gear second and ours last. That's obviously a reflection of the R+D budget and scale of manufacture.

Bring on some others... or else you'll have to look at some more Slouch hats!

Sox

New in Town
Great pictures. My Dad was in the RCAF and flew in a bomber. I've seen pictures of him with a similar flight helmet. He has his officers hat which I hope to inherit some day.

DOUGLAS

Hey Sox, perhaps your father would let you take some photos of his hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats