Military style pants

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Guppy, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Ernest P Shackleton

Ernest P Shackleton One Too Many

I've been lazily researching camos of the world. Like the tiger stripe and woodland, German flecktarn is another classic pattern. There's a 3-color and 5-color. I've come to like the M84 Danish pattern, which is similar to flecktarn. Other countries use the M84 with slight color variation for obvious reasons. The Polish woodland pattern is sort of neat because it reminds me of a militarized duck camo/beo gam of very long ago. There's an Italian camo that sort of looks like a cross between woodland and digital because of the smaller, more jagged shapes in similar coloration. I like that one a lot. I like the multicam too, and another modern pattern is the 3-color desert that is somewhere in-between multicam and woodland. That's a poor comparison, but oh well.

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  2. Kane

Kane One of the Regulars

I recently bought a pair of heavy wool m1951 pants from a surplus seller on EBay for around $15. Really nice material, should be great for a cooler weather pant. They’re pleated and have buttons inside the adjustable waist band for a liner to attach, but I think they would also work for suspenders. They are very long and very baggy and will need to be tailored or altered to fit, but a heck of deal.

3. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Pics?

4. Kane

Kane One of the Regulars

$15 plus the cost of having them fit. I think they had a lot of them: 86A9A6C8-C3C1-4B25-B803-CEFA3CC36785.jpeg 8BF6911F-1463-45DB-8E0D-50CA9D0B932D.jpeg 1E689A71-7FEF-4B38-B1CF-90333D4F81A7.jpeg A71F6013-8A27-4F6E-B2B2-AC61C5A76ACB.jpeg

5. JustinW

JustinW Practically Family

Holy thread revival, Batman!

I was looking through this thread for info on Bronson, thinking I might pick-up a pair of their OG107s and then I saw this place. Has anyone here bought a pair of these?

As a side note, they also have some union made pocket tshirts that might be worth investigating.

6. Edward

Edward Bartender

Has anyone tried removing the cargo pockets from any of these? I've often seen trousers where I really like the fit, quality and - crucially - price, but I don't want the cargo pocket on there.

Some of the best milspec trews I ever had were Danish Civil Defence, probably 1950s or 60s, but they're almost impossible to find now, sadly. Beautiful pair of hefty wool, dark steel-grey. I deal for wearing to the office with a navy blazer in Autumn / Winter / Spring.

7. Edward

Edward Bartender

Alec Leamas and JustinW like this.
  8. Alec Leamas

Alec Leamas New in Town

I have a pair of Stan Ray olive ripstop 4 pocket fatigues that have served me very well. Have heard good things about the sateen version too.

I see from that site you linked to that they ship a number of different brands depending on what stock they have, so couldn't vouch for the other brands they mentioned, but yes, Stan Ray's are great.

handymike and JustinW like this.
  9. Benny Holiday

Benny Holiday My Mail is Forwarded Here

I've just recently developed an obsession for getting a pair of Freewheelers 1930s aviator trousers:
    Freewheelers aviator trousers 3.jpg
    Freewheelers aviator trousers 2.jpg

The one cargo pocket, severe shape of the rear pockets and width adjusters at the ankle just scream pioneering adventure to me, and I reckon they;d look way cool with a work shirt and leather halfbelt or A2. Only problem is, they come in at $360-odd AUD, which is a lot of brass to part with for a pair of rough and ready strides. But I really dig 'em. Maybe if I get a decent tax return . . .

marker2037, navetsea, Guppy and 3 others like this.
  10. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

They look great!

Benny Holiday and Fishbutcher like this.
  11. Fishbutcher

Fishbutcher New in Town

Fell in love with the Freewheelers aviators trousers as well, Corlection in Sydney stocked them, at an eye watering $459 aus ,
    With a matching Jacket.

Benny Holiday likes this.
  12. Cornelius

Cornelius Practically Family

I have a pair of brown canvas Stan Rays which appear to be cut to the same pattern as the OG107s above. Solidly made & great price, but, for me, the front pocket openings are so ridiculously small that it's a fight to force my hand in to retrieve keys, etc. Totally bizarre & unprecedented; I don't know if this is a result of the company targeting the smaller-framed Japanese market or an absolutism regarding ~1940s pattern dimensions, but the end result is that pair of trousers lives in a drawer, will likely be donated to charity soon, and I doubt I'll ever buy a pair of Stan Ray pants again (unless I can try them in person first).

For reference here, we're talking a waist size 32, & a glove size 10.

Alec Leamas likes this.
  13. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

If you're donating them, I'll pay for the shipping to CA ;)

JustinW likes this.
  14. Benny Holiday

Benny Holiday My Mail is Forwarded Here

Eye-watering is right! :eek:

Fishbutcher likes this.
  15. Alec Leamas

Alec Leamas New in Town

To be fair I have noticed the pockets to be on the small side too, though as I find them so comfortable and like the shape of them so much I haven't considered this to be much of a problem. I just put my phone/wallet/keys etc in a jacket pocket or a bag

Cornelius likes this.
  16. Edward

Edward Bartender

One of the London museums - IWM I think - a few years ago had an exhibition on the historical development of camo and its use in fashion. I always found the latter concept fascinating: something designed specifically *not* to be seen transitioning into the fashion world where it's all about being seen!

17. Cornelius

Cornelius Practically Family

The origins of "Dazzle" camouflage make the connection to the worlds of avant-gard art, fashion, and theatre more obvious (as does the career of Homer Saint-Gaudens) so the transition is really more of a welcoming-home!

Ernest P Shackleton and Edward like this.
  18. Edward

Edward Bartender

Oh! That is interesting - I wasn't aware of this before! Thanks.

Cornelius likes this.
  19. mihai

mihai A-List Customer

Cool trousers! Are they solid stitched/thick canvas?

These trousers evoke for me the American ninja fighting against the bad ninjas in remote S-E Asia islands: ,

of course Rambo and Delta Force - the Colombian connection.
    Aaah the 80/90s and the great action movies. They don't make them as they used to...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  20. Ernest P Shackleton

Ernest P Shackleton One Too Many

Thanks for those dazzle articles. I think maybe Ken Burns touched upon it in one of his documentaries? I swear I've seen old film of it, but that could be mind tricks. I did find this documentary on youtube, and I plan to watch it at some point:

Cornelius likes this.