Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mills Juke Box

twobarbreak

One of the Regulars
I believe this to be 1935-36 Mills jukebox
It holds 12 78 rpm records...
2.JPG

5.JPG

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Mills Do-Re-Mi, as I recall.

I had one a few years ago. Mine was a direct current model, with an odd amplifier that used 6 type 48 tubes.

These are very mice machines, and are fairly easy restoration jobs.

U have a couple awaiting restoration that are not quite so simple, Western Electric electro-pneumatic jobs from 1928 or 1929.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
That's gorgeous! I'm a big fan of vintage juke boxes, and I'd love to own one, but they are PROHIBITIVELY expensive for the likes of me. If I were adept at restoration that would be another story. But a pre war juke box is one of those Holy Grail items as far as I'm concerned. A Rock-ola or a Wurlitzer. Fabulous.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Actually, the pre-war machines can be pretty reasonable. the wood cased models are not flashy enough for the typical Juke collector, and most collectors of these machines tend to be lost in the 'fifties. 78 boxes sell at a considerable discount, for they cannot easily be filled with Rock & Toll records.

The early post-war Seeburg "trashcan" machines are very reliable (I still am operating a couple on location) and relatively cheap. $1000.00 should get you a good, working, complete machine. Models 146 (1946 model)m 147 (1947 model) and 148 (1948 model).

here is a 148:

seeb_148.jpg

These old Seeburg jukes were used as prop copmputers in an episode of Star trek, as I recall.

Other relatively inexpensive, reliable post war boxes would include the AMI B and C models. These machines are practically bulletproof, but are not popular with collectors.

AMI B:

39023721DSCN9657.jpg

AMI C:

ami_c1.jpg

amic2.jpg

twobarbreak

One of the Regulars
Nice Photo's...!

Yea, the post war machines are Beauty's!

It's a good thing sometimes the pre-war stuff is cheaper...Because I couldn't see playing any of my Mound City Blowers 78's on anything made in the 40's or 50's...here are the insides, plus original Manual...
10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

15.JPG

When I was in high School a friend's parents owned a Wurlizer Jukebox that played 45's it was from the late 50's or early 60's I think and a beauty. We'd use it for parties at their house and it would get so filled with so many selections people had entered, it would take a few days of playing to get them all played out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24