Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Minimum Number Of Hats

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
This topic has been on my mind lately, because I'm trying to get down to ten hats - I've decided that I only really 'need' four: a lightweight summer hat (light blue-grey Playboy) that also goes well with jeans, My heavy duty Tawny Fed IV for cold or bad weather (and goes with khakis), a dark hat for winter and funerals (charcoal Borsalino) and my nice soft Open Road for no good reason except it feels so good on my head (everyone should have a Stetson Open Road).

A nice straw hat would be next, but the Playboy and Open Road suffice - sure they get sweat stains, but they're hats, not pieces of art.

HatsBest4.jpg

elvisroe

A-List Customer
greenies

jamespowers said:
You could make do with a green/gray felt for every suit possible...
While i don't have one yet, my brother wears an olive green stingy with just about everything and it looks great. I've got a green tam that gets a regular outing and I'm thinking a nice felt could be a good all purpose hat.

There's plenty on exhibit at...
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=34488

Dreispitz

One Too Many
The minimum number of hats is defined by the maximum number of outfits :coffee:

If you keep to the scope of elegant understatement, a darkish, well selected fedora and a classic panama for summer will do.

JPMcAdara

Familiar Face
Thanks for everyones responses. I really have been impressed with the wide variety of answers, and that was what I was hoping for. This has really turned into a great discussion!!

JP

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
3-4 less than this time next year.... 2 monte`s, 2 felts to get in the next year...sound about right? Or was that 5 summer and 5 felts....!!??

# of hats...

it's a simple mathematical formula, if N is the number of hats you currently own, then N+2 would be the number of hats you need (I always buy in twos to save on shipping)

but seriously, I guess my ideal collection would be 3 casual (thin ribbons) felts, 2 casual straws, a dress straw, and two dress felts (to match suits). and then you need a couple old beater hats to wear for yard work, etc.

Trebuchet64_Fal

Familiar Face
I think torpedo has hit the nail on the head , i to like to have a few hats to choose from depending on where i'm going , what i'm wearing, or depending on the weather , i usually have three hats by the door at all times for general day to day wear , a fur felt fedora , a straw hat (synthetic) and a tweed hat , oh and a beater by the back door for gardening etc.
The rest of my hats are worn as and when the mood takes me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot