Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

minor gripe

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Every time I peruse Ebay searching using "vintage" in conjunction with any type of headwear this jamoke that has about 300 listings clutters up the category with his damned "vintage new" descriptions. How can something be vintage new? It can't! It's just a ruse to get his stuff seen by those looking for true vintage hats. Can't imagine why though as those seeking old stuff certainly aren't interested in new plaid or houndstooth fedora-like hats.:rage:

Lloydel

New in Town
I agree with the gripe.

In "Advanced Search" I exclude items from specific sellers. Then I save the search. I also exclude a few words such as "motorcycle" and "pimp."

Today, this reduces items found from 204 to 73.

Lloyd

Dav3

New in Town
I used to do something like "-new -bucket -costume -indiana -indy" I usually don't bother anymore because it doesn't really take long to look through what's there if you're looking every day. Plus I'm afraid that there might be some people incorrectly listing something as being a good costume hat or using the words "like new" or "new old stock" in their title, and I'd miss them.

On the subject, has anyone noticed that recently someone has been listing a bunch of car air fresheners in the vintage hats section? S'kind of annoying.

Benny Holiday

Then there's the turkey with all the 'trucker caps'. Get outta the vintage hat section pronto, ya deadbeat! We don't want you or your cursed caps.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Benny Holiday said:
Then there's the turkey with all the 'trucker caps'. Get outta the vintage hat section pronto, ya deadbeat! We don't want you or your cursed caps.

A major gripe of mine as well. I've sent in a suggestion to eBay that they create separate catagories in the vintage hat section but obviously they've not followed up on it. Maybe if they got a flood of suggestions about it?

Cheers,
Tom

Twitch

Thanks for the tips folks! I happen to find the same nomeclature with old auto parts and accessories I seek for my Packard. It's a bit better though with 'vintage' or 'antique' usually excluding the stuff from Pep Boys but not always. When someone has a pair of fog lights from 1998 they're '90s vintage fog lights' lol

Searching on Ebay or for that matter the web itself has become a contest of guessing. Kind of akin to the automated phone systems that take several tries to guess which numbers to push to get the response you want.:)

Dav3

New in Town
Tango Yankee said:
A major gripe of mine as well. I've sent in a suggestion to eBay that they create separate catagories in the vintage hat section but obviously they've not followed up on it. Maybe if they got a flood of suggestions about it?

Cheers,
Tom

Well, there already is the vintage hats section. People just don't use it like they should.

If anything, I'd like to see them add a thing to narrow the search by the size of the hat (as one would do with a shoe or something)

Undertow

I would like to see Fedora in their own listing rather than coupled with Bucket hats. My god, who's error was that?

I agree that searching on eBay truly can be an artform in and of itself.

MrPumpernickel

One of the Regulars
Though, in a way, the more cluttered eBay is the more likely you are to find a gem after working hard searching. A gem which you'd be able to get hold of cheaply because it hasn't gotten the exposure it would've gotten otherwise.

But damn those bloody trucker caps. They make me grind my teeth every time I look through the vintage hat categories.

Benny Holiday

BellyTank said:
eBay's all about clever searching.

Be clever.

B
T

Ah, but there's the rub, ol' buddy. Oftentimes a great find, even a bargain, can be had by looking through a wider field of items, because a seller with little knowledge has misnamed or misspelt something. Perhaps being clever in searching translates to trying to think dumb in the manner of the general populace? ;)

And much agreed, Tom. Ebay won't refine their facilities if they think there's no need to, that everyone's happy with them as is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran