Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mister Freedom Ringo ranch blouse review

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Mister freedom redemption

A couple of months ago I got this MF 'Ringo' ranch blouse. I know my previous MF jacket was pretty disappointing but I was willing to give it another shot because I really love the type I jacket style but finding a leather one with original proportions is easier said than done. Most of the modern / repro ones come with elongated bodies. Also see my previous review.

Last year I tried the Warehouse lot. 2147 type I when I visited their Nagoya store. It looked good on photos but the pattern was pretty bad, having very narrow shoulders and sleeves wide like stove pipes.

Design

I love how they didn't just do a 1:1 copy of the type I but instead they made it a bit more interesting by adding a shawl collar, slanted asymmetrical pockets and a really cool shape buckle back. Everything combined into one coherent design. They absolutely nailed it.

Sizing

I usually wear a size 42 as I have a 43" chest yet I got this Ringo in a size 40 as I really didn't want another sack like the MF Campus. I had a feeling it was going to be a tshirt only fit at best, hoping it wouldn't be too small. But I bought jackets from @58panheadfan before so I felt confident that it would be OK.

When I got the jacket it felt somewhat tight in the shoulders and chest at first but after a couple of wears that pretty much disappeared. You can still tell the chest is somewhat tight but this is where the knife pleats actually do their thing by providing some give.

Overall I'm extremely pleased with the fit. I love the rounded shoulders, generous upper sleeves and short body. This is exactly how I want a Type I or II jacket to fit.

Leather and construction quality

To my surprise they used MUCH nicer leather for the Ringo than for their stallion Campus. It's more substantial, has great color depth and it feels more luxurious. Beautiful grain too. Overall I'd say it's two tiers above the campus' leather.

I can be short about the construction quality. It's flawless and feels totally solid. High end. I'd go as far as to say that it punches above its weight in this regard.

IMG_6134.jpeg
IMG_6135.jpeg
IMG_6136.jpeg
IMG_6137.jpeg
IMG_6138.jpeg
IMG_6142.jpeg
IMG_6141.jpeg
IMG_6140.jpeg
IMG_6143.jpeg
IMG_6145.jpeg

Last edited:

mumpy

A-List Customer
Mister freedom redemption

A couple of months ago I got this MF 'Ringo' ranch blouse. I know my previous MF jacket was pretty disappointing but I was willing to give it another shot because I really love the type I jacket style but finding a leather one with original proportions is easier said than done. Most of the modern / repro ones come with elongated bodies. Also see my previous review.

Last year I tried the Warehouse lot. 2147 type I when I visited their Nagoya store. It looked good on photos but the pattern was pretty bad, having very narrow shoulders and sleeves wide like stove pipes.

Design

I love how they didn't just do a 1:1 copy of the type I but instead they made it a bit more interesting by adding a shawl collar, slanted asymmetrical pockets and a really cool shape buckle back. Everything combined into one coherent design. They absolutely nailed it.

Sizing

I usually wear a size 42 as I have a 43" chest yet I got this Ringo in a size 40 as I really didn't want another sack like the MF Campus. I had a feeling it was going to be a tshirt only fit at best, hoping it wouldn't be too small. But I bought jackets from @58panheadfan before so I felt confident that it would be OK.

When I got the jacket it felt somewhat tight in the shoulders and chest at first but after a couple of wears that pretty much disappeared. You can still tell the chest is somewhat tight but this is where the knife pleats actually do their thing by providing some give.

Overall I'm extremely pleased with the fit. I love the rounded shoulders, generous upper sleeves and short body. This is exactly how I want a Type I or II jacket to fit.

Leather and construction quality

To my surprise they used MUCH nicer leather for the Ringo than for their stallion Campus. It's more substantial, has great color depth and it feels more luxurious. Beautiful grain too. Overall I'd say it's two tiers above the campus' leather.

I can be short about the construction quality. It's flawless and feels totally solid. High end. I'd go as far as to say that it punches above its weight in this regard.

View attachment 594347 View attachment 594348 View attachment 594349 View attachment 594350 View attachment 594351 View attachment 594352 View attachment 594353 View attachment 594354 View attachment 594355 View attachment 594356
Man you killed me with this review, I just pulled the trigger on this one.

I have the campus and enjoy it but this one looks insane. Should arrive soon!

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Man you killed me with this review, I just pulled the trigger on this one.

I have the campus and enjoy it but this one looks insane. Should arrive soon!
Nice! Please let us know your thoughts once you have it in hands.

jchance

One of the Regulars
Marc’s review makes me want to buy one as well. I’m eyeing a new one that went down to $830, but still waiting for it to go down further (doesn’t look like it would though). I am still hoping for JP site to pop up a used one at a price that I like.

Last edited:

Observe

One Too Many
The Ringo is a really nice jacket and I went back and forth on it when it first came out, but I do like something with a bit more functionality in terms of pockets. My prior experience with the MF denim ranch blouse left me looking for that practicality, but that's my personal preference for pockets. I didn't find the pockets on this jacket to be very useful. It's also a steep price tag for an unlined jacket. I got a MF campus a few years ago when they had a rare 30% off sale on their site and I felt that was a good price.

Ultimately, if you go for this jacket it's for the style and the nice leather MF got their hands on. I really liked the leather on my campus and this stuff looks even nicer. MF told me the Ringo is the same leather as the campus but perhaps batch quality has improved? Also, the leather smells great.

mumpy

A-List Customer
The Ringo is a really nice jacket and I went back and forth on it when it first came out, but I do like something with a bit more functionality in terms of pockets. My prior experience with the MF denim ranch blouse left me looking for that practicality, but that's my personal preference for pockets. I didn't find the pockets on this jacket to be very useful. It's also a steep price tag for an unlined jacket. I got a MF campus a few years ago when they had a rare 30% off sale on their site and I felt that was a good price.

Ultimately, if you go for this jacket it's for the style and the nice leather MF got their hands on. I really liked the leather on my campus and this stuff looks even nicer. MF told me the Ringo is the same leather as the campus but perhaps batch quality has improved? Also, the leather smells great.

I agree with you! I am a person that likes to use pockets and have struggled with original type 3 jackets without pockets or cafe racers etc. (I still think they look better but I feel the need to rest my hands somewhere, too many bombers in my youth I guess)

The design of the Ringo is great though and I am expecting the leather to be awesome as well. Let’s see!

I also like unlined jackets because they feel nice on the skin (subjective) but also because literally no one wears an unlined jacket (apart from unlined unstructured suit jackets etc.)

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
but I do like something with a bit more functionality in terms of pockets.
I forgot to discuss the pockets. Personally, the only items I ever store in my jacket pockets are my house keys and my car / Vespa keys. The Ringo's pockets will hold those perfectly, I always use the one without the flap for those. It won't hold much more / bigger though.

For esthetic reasons I'd never buy a type I II III trucker with handwarmer pockets, I absolutely hate the look.

1709130373230.png

Peacoat

Bartender
As suggested, I made this review into its own thread. When I went back to move the replies to the original post to this thread, they had disappeared . I should have left it alone. If anyone knows where the replies are, let me know and I will move them to this thread

Edit: Thanks to HandyMike I found them. Hope I got them all. If not, please let me know.

Last edited:

mumpy

A-List Customer
I just received mine, definitely love this jacket! The leather smells amazing and the construction quality is as Marc described.

This is a new jacket and even though it is not super stiff, it does need some break in. The back pleats bulge out a little bit but I think they will settle with some wear.

IMG_9710.jpg

I feel shawl collar could be slightly larger (EDIT: actually this might be because the collar is still stiff and doesn't sit properly)

IMG_9708.jpg

I have a feeling these stitches won't last very long but I could be wrong.

IMG_9705.JPG

IMG_9675.JPG

I think it has a very masculine fit this one (especially so even compared to other badass jackets).

I have a 40 inch chest and this is a tag size 40. I could have probably gone down to a 38 for a t-shirt only fit but there is a bit of P2P measurement variation between jackets and didn't want to gamble on this with an overseas purchase. Once it breaks in I think the panels will start draping better.

When making the order, I also requested that they select a jacket with the most grain in the hide.

Definitely a keeper in my wardrobe, can't wait to break this in and get some of that teacore showing.

Last edited:

AHP91

Practically Family
I just received mine, definitely love this jacket! The leather smells amazing and the construction quality is as Marc described.

This is a new jacket and even though it is not super stiff, it does need some break in. The back pleats bulge out a little bit but I think they will settle with some wear.

View attachment 595435

I feel shawl collar could be slightly larger (EDIT: actually this might be because the collar is still stiff and doesn't sit properly)

View attachment 595436

I have a feeling these stitches won't last very long but I could be wrong.

View attachment 595437

View attachment 595438

I think it has a very masculine fit this one (especially so even compared to other badass jackets).

I have a 40 inch chest and this is a tag size 40. I could have probably gone down to a 38 for a t-shirt only fit but there is a bit of P2P measurement variation between jackets and didn't want to gamble on this with an overseas purchase. Once it breaks in I think the panels will start draping better.

When making the order, I also requested that they select a jacket with the most grain in the hide.

Definitely a keeper in my wardrobe, can't wait to break this in and get some of that teacore showing.
I like these jackets - never handled a Mister Freedom but they always seems to catch my eye (more so than 95% of the other Langlitz, Aero, Schott, etc etc) commonly seen

mumpy

A-List Customer
Another thing that I like about this jacket is that it does stand out in a good way because of its design. A half-belt, a typical moto jacket (every woman has one) or a cafe racer are all pretty common looking in terms of their design. A leather type I/II/III is less common and brings more character and this MF jacket even more so I believe. I have gotten more compliments about my MF Campus than any other jacket that I have.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
The jacket looks great on you, congrats. You can tell it needs to break in though, the drape can and will be improved.
Another thing that I like about this jacket is that it does stand out in a good way because of its design. A half-belt, a typical moto jacket (every woman has one) or a cafe racer are all pretty common looking in terms of their design.
Good point. I have new jackets incoming on a weekly basis, my gf can't tell the difference anymore. She did notice this one though, said she likes it because of its uncommon design.

I just noticed that my fit pic wasn't migrated to the new thread so here it is once more :).

D1902EE4-AA12-4F3A-B51B-08BC4D83AA00.jpeg

Last edited:

mumpy

A-List Customer
Marc, has yours been treated in some way? It does appear a bit more shiny but could be the camera/weather conditions as well I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner