Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mmmm... toast!

Wild Root

Gone Home
In most of the ads I see from the 20's to the 30's, the toaster is on the table! It used to be a table top appliance so you toast bread at the table. The earlier toasters from the 20's and early 30's toasted very fast! You didn't want to let it toast bread by it's self in the kitchen! The double door styled toasters are small enough to set on the table so you can toast bread when you need it.

Here is an old Toastmaster ad from the early 30's. Note, it's a single slice toaster on the table!

=WR=

1931_TOASTMASTER.jpg

EL COLORADO

One of the Regulars
Youre class, Wild.
Class. :)

The 30's were without exception the ultimate era on this planet for kitchen appliances.
I especially the two and four slicers,.. with swinging doors. The most!
Ever seen those?

Do you spread the jelly/butter with vintage flatware?

EC

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
In most of the ads I see from the 20's to the 30's, the toaster is on the table! It used to be a table top appliance so you toast bread at the table. The earlier toasters from the 20's and early 30's toasted very fast! You didn't want to let it toast bread by it's self in the kitchen! The double door styled toasters are small enough to set on the table so you can toast bread when you need it.

Also, at that time electric toasters were actually considered sort of a luxury appliance in the early 20th century since so many homes didn't even have electricity, which you would want to show off to your guests.

Some people actually put electric toasters in their bedrooms during the period, if you can imagine that. This probably also had to do with the decline in the number of household servants.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Vladimir Berkov said:
Also, at that time electric toasters were actually considered sort of a luxury appliance in the early 20th century since so many homes didn't even have electricity, which you would want to show off to your guests.

Some people actually put electric toasters in their bedrooms during the period, if you can imagine that. This probably also had to do with the decline in the number of household servants.

Very true Mr. Berkov! Say, I wouldn't mind having one of my deco beauties next to my bed! They were indeed a luxury in the early days! Some of the earlier toasters and waffle irons had a light bulb screw fitting to screw into a socket seeing that the only outlets were in lamps in most early homes that had electricity.

EL COLORADO said:
Youre class, Wild.
Class. :)

The 30's were without exception the ultimate era on this planet for kitchen appliances.
I especially the two and four slicers,.. with swinging doors. The most!
Ever seen those?

Do you spread the jelly/butter with vintage flatware?

EC

Ah, thaks EL Colorado! Thank you very much.:)

I haven't seen the two and four slicers with swinging doors. Have you any photos of such models? Sure would love to see one!

I need to build a collection of vintage flatware; it's hard to find it in a matching set.

Cheers,

=WR=

Vladimir Berkov said:
I recall reading that eating un-buttered toast before retiring for the evening is a sleep aid. Although, I'd guess it would not be in bed, much like crackers.

clevispin

One of the Regulars
Ah - rented digs. I was "fortunate" in only being able to rent vintage digs some years back. It looks like your landlord updates your fixtures whereas I was sharing my "vintage" kitchen with lots of nocturnal freeloaders. They did tend to avoid the toaster tho.

Cheers!

m

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yep, renting is no fun. The home had (My home dates to the 20?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s) many original fixtures before I moved in three years ago. I recall a friend that lived here and I remember all the original doors and windows. Since then, there is only two original doors and the front windows were replaced with those nasty aluminum storm windows! I don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t know what my landlord was on but, I was very upset to see him ruin the home before I could move in.

The kitchen is mostly original all but the counter top and the blinds. If money wasn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t an object, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢d replace the countertop with a 1920?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s light yellow or green with black tile work and also put in an old sink. In the future I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢d love to find a home that hasn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t been molested. And doing that in California for a reasonable price is near impossible.

I do appreciate your tips but, have to say you were preaching to the quire on that one.;)

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR