Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Art and Ties

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
My favorite '20s and '30s neckties are inspired by Modern Art and especially Art Deco. Deco is a hodge podge of Fauvism, Cubism, and even ancient Egyptian/Babylonian/Persian art. It is also highly influenced by the dimensions, surfaces, materials, and even movements of industrial machinery.

Below are some Modern Art-inspired, Art Deco ties from my collection. All are from the 1920s and '30s.

Geometric curves. The second and fourth ties are from the late 1920s:

mooooreties001_edited-1.jpg

Angles and zigzags. The first and third ties are from the early 1930s. The other two ties are from the end of that decade:

mooooreties002_edited-1.jpg

Shapes. The bowtie and the first necktie are from the late 1920s. The other ties are from the mid-1930s:

mooooreties003_edited-1.jpg

Organic curves, influenced by ancient designs. The third tie is from the late 1920s. All the others are from the end of the '30s:

mooooreties004_edited-1.jpg

"Crazy" forms, both lines and shapes. These are quite complex, and seem to follow no pattern at all. They are both from the early 1930s. Look closely at the tie to the left: its design appears to be a representation of something, but is in fact completely abstract.

mooooreties005_edited-1.jpg

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Cubism?

My favorite '20s and '30s neckties are inspired by Modern Art and especially Art Deco. Deco is a hodge podge of Fauvism, Cubism, and even ancient Egyptian/Babylonian/Persian art. It is also highly influenced by the dimensions, surfaces, materials, and even movements of industrial machinery.

I didn't know that Fulgencio Bautista designed ties in the 1930's.[huh]

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
The "Crazy" forms tie on the right with all of the dots looks like the chart that an eye doctor had me look at years ago to see if I might be color blind! Apparently I have trouble seeing a certain shade of red that I don't own anyway...:rolleyes:

Those are beautiful ties. It's sad that no one seems able to make anything quite so nice now.

Rosie

One Too Many
Nice ties! The first set, from the '20s, also seem to imitate the Futurists, Boccioni, Casati? but not that I'm typing this, they were paralel to the cubists, weren't they?

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Rosie said:
Nice ties! The first set, from the '20s, also seem to imitate the Futurists, Boccioni, Casati? but not that I'm typing this, they were paralel to the cubists, weren't they?
I remember one time seeing a tie with a print of 1961 Ford Falcon Futurists on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt