Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Film - Vintage Fashion

Feraud

Bartender
JeffOYB said:
Maybe I just don't watch enough movies. I suppose there are hundreds of Golden Era period pieces being made these days.
Sadly there are not hundreds of these movies being made. More like a handfull per year.

The two films you mention are good for the costumes. Others include Hollywoodland, Tucker, The Avaitor, and O Brother, Where Art Thou?

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I'm not sure about accuracy or anything but as far as beautiful costumes in modern films I like: Chicago, Moulin Rouge, Quills and Cabaret [kind of modern...]

Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes look incredible in Schindlers List. Almost distracting...

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
JeffOYB said:

I'm now watching "De-Lovely." It's maybe not quite as good of a movie as "Sea Bisquit"---and that's not saying much---but I am liking the outfits!

Anything with Cole Porter's music is well worth my time :D His music is the best, fantastic melodies, witty lyrics, the most catchy songs of the 20th century really "Let's Misbehave" "Night and Day" "EveryTime We Say Goodbye"
"You Do Something to Me" "Too Darn Hot" "I've Got You Under My Skin"...........want more????
Oh! and the costumes are good too.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"The Newton Boys" has that Texas/Oklahoma look down.

I have no idea of the overall accuracy but I can watch Jennifer Connelly in "The Rocketeer" all day.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
I thought The Pianist did a pretty swell job on the whole--costumes & feel of a particular group in that particular era..
15.jpeg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Uhoh...The Browns

I can tell right off the bat that the designer on The Pianist had a case of The Browns. That's when you achieve an Old-Timey look that even simpletons can catch on to by styling interiors, costumes, etc. in drab medium greys and browns, with only small flashes of color.

Reality has never been sepia toned.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
I don't think that was so much the case, of cheap re-creation.:confused: The movie has a very sombre color scheme throughout, as it should, because it does take place in dark, depressing situations/setting...concentration camps, ghettoes, secret rooms, shelled out buildings...the movie wasn't trying to pretend reality was "sepia toned", it was just a reflection of its situation.

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Tucker

I always thought "Tucker" with Jeff Bridges captured the look and feel of 40's fashion from both a sartorial standpoint as well as an automotive one, of course.

Great, overlooked film.....If you haven't seen it, it's well worth a rental.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Lost in Yonkers
The Natural
The Illusionist

And of course The Aviator, O! Brother Where Art Thou?, and The Notebook.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Even though these movies aren't super-recent, they still have a VERY GOOD 1930s look and feel to them:

Cabaret (1972) - I was happy to see no trace of the early 1970s when I watched this movie!
Annie (1982) - Everything is perfectly 30s, even down to the white shoes on the extras!
Victor, Victoria (1982) - With the exception of some of the men's hairdos, I thought they did a pretty good job portraying the 1930s.

Also:
Man Of The Century (1999) - Not the film, but the character of Johnnie Twennies was spot on!
Shadow Of The Vampire (2001) - I had a huge crush on John Malkovich after leaving the theatre!! Something must have been done right for me to swoon him!
The Cat's Meow (2002) - I found this pretty historically accurate for costumes, sets, and OF COURSE the music. I like how they used actual mono jazz from the 20s.

poetman

A-List Customer
Doctor Strange said:
poetman, I believe you mean "The End of the Affair". Excellent film.

("An Affair to Remember" is the old Cary Grant/Deborah Kerr classic from the late 50s!)

Yes! I'm sorry about that! An Affair to Remember is the movie to which I am referring.

Merlin

Familiar Face
Fletch said:
Reality has never been sepia toned.

I agree, but I have to say that Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, while not a true-to-life depiction of Golden Age fashions, was a damn good lookin' movie!

BJBAmerica said:
I always thought "Tucker" with Jeff Bridges captured the look and feel of 40's fashion from both a sartorial standpoint as well as an automotive one, of course.

Great, overlooked film.....If you haven't seen it, it's well worth a rental.

Tucker is a classic (though every time I see Jeff Bridges, all I can picture is "The Dude"...). Wouldn't it be nice if one of the cars was available for rental? Droool. . . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot