Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Stetson Open Road

wedens

New in Town
Not sure what I did wrong. This may not be worth the effort. I read the instruction in faq's. No help. Am using image shack. No help. I just wanted to show off my style conversion.

billyspew

One Too Many
Ok. Here's the vintage OR I got from ebay. The first two pics are as I got it with the cattleman's crease. The rest are after my re bashing. I spent about two hours on it and am happy with the results. I know it's a little rough but I like the hand bashed look better than the factory at least on theis style hat.
22750702.jpg

44215472.jpg

35034128.jpg

38584738.jpg

76079741.jpg

Your pictures ^^^

Last edited:

billyspew

One Too Many
You're linking to the page the image is on rather than the image itself.

Right click the image you want and Copy the Image URL/Image Location that should be the image's link. I think you can only post 6 max per post, I stopped at 5!

Corky

Practically Family
I acquired a new Open Road last year, got it wet with distilled water from a spray bottle and re-bashed it to the same teardrop fedora shape that I use on all my hats.

No problem. But I have already performed this procedure on about a dozen other hats previously.

crease looks a little rough around the edges and not perfectly symmetrical, but that's the way I like 'em. I think they look great with you put your own hands on them. the greatest thing that I've found is that you never stop tweaking them. you always play around with them evey time you wear them.

but now we need a noggin shot!

great job.

wedens

New in Town
I acquired a new Open Road last year, got it wet with distilled water from a spray bottle and re-bashed it to the same teardrop fedora shape that I use on all my hats.

No problem. But I have already performed this procedure on about a dozen other hats previously.

I use steam. I have cleaned up my other hats from time to time by steaming and then popping out the crown to open and then reshape the same crease. This is my first shot at completely changing the crease to a different style. I didn't expect it to come out right the first time. A little rough yes, but it's just what I wanted.

wedens

New in Town
crease looks a little rough around the edges and not perfectly symmetrical, but that's the way I like 'em. I think they look great with you put your own hands on them. the greatest thing that I've found is that you never stop tweaking them. you always play around with them evey time you wear them.

but now we need a noggin shot!

great job.

Thanks.

I'll get a noggin shot up this evening.

.... A little rough yes, but it's just what I wanted.

Getting those remnants of the factory cattleman crease out of a modern OR takes some doing. The shellac content of the crown is high. I have heard of some using diluted denatured alcohol to help break it down. The one I did years ago worked better when soaking with distilled water than using my steamer =
steamtool.jpg

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Ingenious apparatus with tube and stopper. It looks like it would be very effective.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
It is. It came in a kit with a brush/sponge combination thing, sold at western hat stores years ago. Same folks that use to make the hat stain remover/cleaner.

No kidding?! That's very cool. I've never seen one. But I've never looked either. Nice set up.

wedens

New in Town
Getting those remnants of the factory cattleman crease out of a modern OR takes some doing. The shellac content of the crown is high. I have heard of some using diluted denatured alcohol to help break it down. The one I did years ago worked better when soaking with distilled water than using my steamer =
steamtool.jpg

That is a nice setup. I think I could make something like that.

My OR is from the 60's so the shellac must be alot less. It isn't very stiff. Just stiff enough. I also used the back of a spoon with my thumb on the inside of the hat to rub the old crease marks after steaming. The marks virtually all came out. There's just one small area where you can see a hint of the old crease and you'd have to really be looking and know what your looking for to even see it.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That is a nice setup. I think I could make something like that.

OR is from the 60's so the shellac must be alot less. It isn't very stiff. .

A 1960s OR may not even have had shellac to start with. Mine doesn't, a typical vintage OR, though I couldn't say what year it's from. What year did Stetson start hardening its ORs with shellac, anyway? There must have been a dividing line somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24