Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Vintage Products

Miss sofia

One Too Many
My mum swears by ti - i always find it too drying and it makes my lipstick go all bobbly after a few hours which is horrid. I'm resigned to just having to reapply lippie throughout the day sadly.

maisie

Practically Family
If it flakes off you're putting it on too thick. It's meant to be a very light/sheer layer.

I think is also depends what lipstick you use with it. Nearly all of my lipsticks, including my rimmel and bourjois lipsticks work fine with it, allowing them to last all day. However I've tried lipcote with revlon's matte lipstick and it goes very sticky and clumps up, not a pretty site! Luckly this matte lipstick lasts all day anyways, so don't need lipcote to keep it put. But for other lipsticks it brilliant!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'll have to look for it or it's equivalent here in the states. It's good to know that it doesn't work with every lipstick, as I'd probably try it and have it go wrong and think it was me or the tube was no good. Thank you ladies. :)

SheBear74

Practically Family
Just wanted to say I really like the Panstick. It actually held up to Florida's humity and my sweating this morning when I took my kid to the park. ;)

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
Just wanted to say I really like the Panstick. It actually held up to Florida's humity and my sweating this morning when I took my kid to the park. ;)

Thank you for the update. I can't imagine keeping any foundation on in FL in summer! What's the consistency of the stick like? Creamy at all? I keep imagining it will slide right off, I don't know why. How easy does it apply?

I bought a round of Max Factor Pan-cake off ebay and I'm in love. I've been meaning to take a photo of it in the container along with some swatches to show just how different the color is while wearing compared to compacted in the cake. It takes me less than 30 seconds to put this foundation on with a damp sea sponge, and it covers beautifully. It has lasted all day through some very hot, sweaty trips in the car and while moving house. The only thing I'm confused about is how to use concealer with it. I haven't tried it with anything yet, but I'm afraid because of its paint-like consistency, it won't work well with a creamy concealer.

SheBear74

Practically Family
It's pretty creamy. I dabbed my finger on it and put it on that way. It covered well and evened out my skin, I am really happy with it

DigThatBeat

Familiar Face
I compared a vintage tube of Revlon Fire and Ice (1961) and a modern tube (2010) side by side.
The 1960s lipstick is a little deeper than the new one, it's also thicker and glossier. It must have been very long wearing because I couldn't get it off of my wrist with makeup wipes and baby oil.

tumblr_lyo7w6JzsN1r84y4oo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_lyo7w6JzsN1r84y4oo2_1280.jpg

countrybumpkin

New in Town
Yeah, lipcote is great for the long lasting staying power for your lipstick but I find it dries your lips out a bit. However, after many a trial I find If I blend a little lip blam (with a brush) in with the lipstick this problem is reduced. Also It is key you blot and let your lipstick dry on a bit before plainting a thin coating on and letting tht dry also (sounds funny but try not to close your lips until it stops being sticky to touch) This should altogether stop the flaking and if you want to have double the shield, then paint on another thin coating ontop of the first and leave to dry again.
wow yeah that 60's lipstick looks vivid and super lush, It surprising revlon chnaged the'recipe' for the same colour and type. Mabye it was due to the ease of removal, ingedients or popularity who knows, But cosmetic companies are always changing thier 'recipes' trying to improve the products. I have lost many a decent hairspray, shampoo and foundation to such ploy but hey you can't avoid it youjust have to keep hunting for that perfect product .

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
I compared a vintage tube of Revlon Fire and Ice (1961) and a modern tube (2010) side by side.
The 1960s lipstick is a little deeper than the new one, it's also thicker and glossier. It must have been very long wearing because I couldn't get it off of my wrist with makeup wipes and baby oil.

tumblr_lyo7w6JzsN1r84y4oo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_lyo7w6JzsN1r84y4oo2_1280.jpg

Love that you did this comparison. Thank you!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Off the top of my head:

- Coty Airspun loose powder, 1920s/1930s
- Tangee lipstick, 1920s
- Tabu lipstick, 1950s
- Cover Girl liquid foundation & loose powder, 1960s

I want to say that the cheap little red Maybelline eyebrow pencil is vintage, but I can't honestly remember or find basis for that right now.

As others have said, Revlon still sells many of their vintage colors, including Cherries in the Snow and Fire & Ice.

Not exactly true makeup, but a few others:
- Queen Helene mint julep mask, 1930s
- Coty Emeraude perfume, 1920s
- Guerlain Shalimar & Mitsouko perfumes, 1920s
- Yardley English Lavender soap
- Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream, 1930s
- Pears soap
- Chanel No. 5 perfume, 1920s
- Lustre Creme shampoo
- Mason Pearson brushes

Love that you did this comparison. Thank you!

Me too! Very cool, DigThatBeat!

Here's a 1964 Cover Girl ad. Apparently the famous Noxzema fragrance was a selling point for the products, and they originally only made 6 face productsd. I had no idea!
2a7v7yu.jpg

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
A lot of Revlon's Moondrops shades from the 60s are still around.
24k Orange
Crystal Cut Coral
Snowsilver Rose
Apple Polish
Sugar Poppy
Mirrored Mauve
Persian Melon

And I think Love That Red was first released in the early 50s.

I just bought the Moon Drops 24K Orange today. A little pricey for a drugstore lippy ($10!) but I love the color, and was in need of a good orange/coral lipstick. It has that great "old makeup" smell. :laugh: I can't wait to wear it!

Last edited:

Lenore

Practically Family
I REALLY want to try pan-stik/pan-cake... but with me being so pale I worry about finding a proper shade.

A good match for my skin is Revlon's ColorStay in Ivory (110) though it's a tad light itself... Amber Rose Pan-Cake seems to be the lightest, but still looks ridiculously dark for me...
Pan-Stik has Natural 101, which seems like it might work...

Anyone try these and take note of how the foundation blends? Is it lighter than in the container when you wear it? or are the shades a good approximation?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ What a great ad! I love how they call it "ribbon dental cream." I guess that must have been at the tail-end of the "tooth powder" era (I have an old can of Colgate tooth powder somewhere...)

I know that Pepsodent toothpaste is another old brand.

I REALLY want to try pan-stik/pan-cake... but with me being so pale I worry about finding a proper shade.

A good match for my skin is Revlon's ColorStay in Ivory (110) though it's a tad light itself... Amber Rose Pan-Cake seems to be the lightest, but still looks ridiculously dark for me...
Pan-Stik has Natural 101, which seems like it might work...

Anyone try these and take note of how the foundation blends? Is it lighter than in the container when you wear it? or are the shades a good approximation?

I too am dying to try Pan-stik. The only place online in the US (drugstore.com) doesn't have any of the lighter shades available, and all of the ivory tones on ebay and amazon are ridiculously priced. I'm not paying $39 for a stick of drugstore foundation! If you find a source and try it, please let me know.

I used the Max Factor pancake about 12 years ago, and I remember it blending very well and being easy to use and matte. Sadly, I cannot remember what shade I used. What I do remember is that it looks much darker in the pan than it actually is on your skin. I also remember all of the pancake shades being very pink-toned. For reference I'm NW15 in MAC, W1 or W2 in L'oreal True Match, and ivory in everything else.

Due to the difficulty finding Max Factor, I've been looking at Kryolan pancake and TV stick. They've been around since the 40s and are very inexpensive at costume shops and suppliers, I think the foundations are under $10.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I used to use Pan-Stik years ago when I was doing local stage work -- I remember it as being *very* greasy, and it went on very thick unless you used a very light stroke. It was pretty close to full coverage, though, and it didn't dry up on your face and get cakey like Pan-Cake will do. It's probably not a good choice for anyone with oily skin, unless they've radically changed the formula.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
A lot of Revlon's Moondrops shades from the 60s are still around.
24k Orange
Crystal Cut Coral
Snowsilver Rose
Apple Polish
Sugar Poppy
Mirrored Mauve
Persian Melon

And I think Love That Red was first released in the early 50s.

I just wanted to let everyone know that right now CVS drugstores have a *major* cosmetics clearance going on, and many items are tagged 50% or 75% off - including most of the Revlon Moon Drops lipsticks! This makes them about $2.50 each. I picked up 3 tubes today.

They also have a lot of other Revlon, L'Oreal, and Almay marked down.

Sharpsburg

One of the Regulars
I just wanted to let everyone know that right now CVS drugstores have a *major* cosmetics clearance going on, and many items are tagged 50% or 75% off - including most of the Revlon Moon Drops lipsticks! This makes them about $2.50 each. I picked up 3 tubes today.

They also have a lot of other Revlon, L'Oreal, and Almay marked down.

Thanks for the heads up, Gal! Not that i need any more lipstick, but i can't resist a bargain!

Mary

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner