Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modifications for an Aero Caferacer

LWB

New in Town
Hi everyone!
with this post right here, i wanted to introduce myself to you guys and get your opinion on some mods i think about for my next aero jacket.

My name is Lion and I'm a real estate student from bavaria. I've grown quite fond of this forum after reading a little in it, over the last weeks.
Here's the story: last spring i ordered an Aero Caferacer from a store in munich. The Jacket i got was really great - size 46, made from brown steerhide. i really was amazed from the quality of the leather and the way the jacket was made. Unfortunately the jacket just didn't fit me right, the sleeves, chest and waist were just to roomy, but luckily the guy from the store agreed to take it back and i could order a new one for free (great guy!). since i now can get an entirely new jacket, i thought about some possible mods for the next jacket.
at this point i'm considering
- brown medium weight horsehide
- maybe a size 44 for a slimmer fit
- japanese sleeve configuration
- halfbelt style collar (i just like these collars better then the stand collar)
- +1 inch on the sleeves
- + 2 inch on length
- 1 inch of inward facing leather on the hem

i don't ride motorcycle, so i want i nice slim fitting jacket that i can wear in spring and fall.
i'm about 5.11 and 187 pounds (most of the weight was achieved not by couch but gym time ;) )
let me know what you guy think about my ideas!
best regards, Lion!

Faster

New in Town
Given your height and weight, the 44 is still WAY too big! A 42 would be more appropriate, since you're in shape.

LWB

New in Town
thanks

thanks!
i thought so as well, but i tried on several sizes before i ordered my first jacket and i couldn't quite fit myself in a 42... the 46 is okay around the shoulders, when i wear a thick sweater underneath.

LWB

New in Town
haha nice! i'll maybe do this for the next jacket after the caferacer (i have an A2 with fur collar on my bucketlist). this one i'll do with the guy in munich. you think i'll be able to move if i have japanese sleeves and a clean back (no gussets) ?

LWB

New in Town
Same exact issues and problem I dealt with fpr a few years. I finally learned buy the 42.

Thanks man, i'll try on a 42 again before ordering the jacket. What do you think about the Japanese sleeves combined with a plain back?

LWB

New in Town
I think Jansolo explained in one thread, that aero offers a much slimmer sleeve style (called japanese configuration). My original jacket also had a plain back, which was absolutely okay for me

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I asked Aero for the japenese arms on my caferacer and I got the answer that the caferacer doesn´t need slimmer arms. I think it might only apply to the halfbelts?

garzo

One of the Regulars
I'm close to your size and for the first Aero Cafe Racer I ordered they recommended a 46 and told me that model is very tight-fitting. But I ordered a 44 thinking I wanted a slim-fitting jacket. The jacket fit but I could only wear it with a t-shirt, nothing more, and it was not all that comfortable to wear casually. The thing is, the Aero cafe racer really is cut to sit on a motorcycle -- it sits best when you are sitting slightly hunched over. If you are already thinking of getting a half-belt collar and other modifications, I would really recommend looking at different Aero models that are more casual, street-wearing gear.
I eventually sold my cafe racer and now have a black Aero Highwayman as well as a very unique "Happy Days" jacket in what appears to be oil-pull cordovan, both extremely comfortable. As for the cafe racer, I have a good old Schott 141, which I find more comfortable than Aero's version with the somewhat painful collar snap.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
If you're in shape and have a big drop between shoulder/chest size and waist you should send Amanda your exact measurements and ask for a hybrid sized jacket. They can do a 44 that tapers down below the armholes to a 40 or whatever you need at waist level. If you don't tell amanda about this it's likely that you don't get a slim fitting jacket but one that's okay in the shoulders/chest and way too loose in the waist.

LWB

New in Town
thanks alot garzo and Rudie!
i'll talk it over again with amanda! i also thought about an 1930s halfbelt, but i'm not so into the sides of the jacked, with the adjustable straps...

LWB

New in Town
garzo, how is the fit (body- and sleevewidth) of the highwayman? i just looked it up on the aero homepage, and it looks nice!

garzo

One of the Regulars
I don't have any pics of my own jacket, which is a black mid-weight horsehide with shiny brass zippers that I picked up from the Aero sales page, but there are some good pics in these links that will give you a good idea of what it looks like. My jacket seems to be about an inch longer that most basic Highwayman models, which is something I like.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?38438-New-Aero-Highwayman-arrived

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?59569-Aero-A2-38-1711-P-sizing-question-need-help.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vkPw_Ezaq...vU/s1600/b74-44-aero+leather-Highwayman-3.jpg

Here on page two is a nice close-up of an Aero halfbelt sleeve that is very similar or even exactly the same as the Highwayman sleeve:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?47619-Aero-Half-Belt-Dry-Leather-or-not

and a couple of high-profile Highwayman fans:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/71625/leather-jackets-post-pictures-of-the-best-youve-seen-owned/90

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy