Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mold identification thread + help fixing the issue

Novos

One of the Regulars
Hi all,

I know threads on mold and leather jackets appear time to time on the FL, but I was hoping I could get some help with my particular issue.

I got a wonderful 60s German biker jacket, but the right side has these weird spots, it looks like mold, or is the residue of them, but I'm not sure. The weird thing is the entire left side of the jacket is completely unaffected. Check the pics below, if it is mold what are some of the steps I can use to alleviate the issue? I really want to minimize the appearance of the spots.

The jacket has a funk to it, but is a lot less stinky than I've dealt with before. I also have a tub of Pecards at the ready. :D

7898001698_2157cc39fb.jpg
7898002326_084627406e.jpg

Since I bought it on ebay, would you all go after the seller, since he did not mention it in the auction? When I contacted him about the issue, he said let it air out. But if I knew this was here I never would've paid the amount I did, but I know from experience people can be seriously clueless when it comes to vintage leather.

As always, thanks for any help.

Absolutely. Tell him you're negotiable, but want something back for the mold. If he hesitates, open a case against him ASAP. But give him opportunity to make good. Sometimes a seller will offer some cash back. Good luck.

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
Those mould marks should remove quite easily I think. The seller probably chose not to mention it. Good luck with the seller and the jacket. What does the jacket look like overall?

Cooperson

One Too Many
From my own experience, mold on vintage leather can be very difficult to eradicate completely. There are chemical sprays available that claim to treat mold, but if the spores are active I wouldn't waste my time on it - it's a real battle. Better to offload the jacket and look for another if at all possible.

Novos

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the responses all. I paid a lot more than I usually would for a vintage jacket, even though the seller gave me a deal on shipping. I'm going to pursue a small refund, but I don't understand how he did not notice it at all (his words). It was the first thing I noticed when I put the jacket on.

Is it remotely possible he is telling the truth, could mold have formed on a two week journey from France? I highly doubt it, but I want to make sure before I run in guns blazing.

Peacoat

Bartender
I am no moldmaester, but I think it is reasonable that mold could form in two weeks. I would put the jacket in the sun (while you still have some up there in the frozen northland) to kill the active spores, and then attempt the removal.

I'm certain that the mold could have formed during shipping. I recently left Hong Kong in the aftermath of the biggest typhoon direct hit they've had in 30 years. My bag got a little wet, and a leather tie travel case I had in it developed mold on the flight back to London. I noticed it literally the day after I got back. Mold can form quickly! Any kind of humidity in the shipping process and the spores will develop. Mold is one of my favourite organisms - very successful, fast growing and adaptable.

I would check the pictures of the seller for any evidence of the spots. Even if there are none, I would say you can't definitively blame the seller.

Remedial. First, I wiped the worst of the white colonies off with a damp rag. There were residual marks on the black leather. Nest I took an antibacterial kitchen wipe and went over the tie holder thoroughly and vigorously. There is now no evidence of mold, and believe me, this thing was pretty overgrown with the stuff.

Novos

One of the Regulars
I'm certain that the mold could have formed during shipping. I recently left Hong Kong in the aftermath of the biggest typhoon direct hit they've had in 30 years. My bag got a little wet, and a leather tie travel case I had in it developed mold on the flight back to London. I noticed it literally the day after I got back. Mold can form quickly! Any kind of humidity in the shipping process and the spores will develop. Mold is one of my favourite organisms - very successful, fast growing and adaptable.

I would check the pictures of the seller for any evidence of the spots. Even if there are none, I would say you can't definitively blame the seller.

Remedial. First, I wiped the worst of the white colonies off with a damp rag. There were residual marks on the black leather. Nest I took an antibacterial kitchen wipe and went over the tie holder thoroughly and vigorously. There is now no evidence of mold, and believe me, this thing was pretty overgrown with the stuff.

Fair enough, thanks for the input! I just thought leather wouldn't go moldy quite as fast as other items.

The seller's photos are taken from such a distance that there is no way you could see any fine detail. I might try the antibacterial wipe, but I've also heard that isopropyl alchohol will do the trick. Any thoughts?

I would beware with the solvents; you risk damaging the leather finish. See the wiki page for isopropanol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol

Wikipedia said:
It will dissolve ethyl cellulose, polyvinyl butyral, many oils, alkaloids, gums and natural resins

This sounds to me like a lot of the stuff sued to tan and finish leather goods.

The wipes are generally such weak dilutions of these solvents that they won't do any damage to the leather.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Try to go to an experienced shoemaker, these guys know their leathers and how to fix issues. Isoprop isn't too aggressive, though, I use it frequently in the job (This is NOT a recommendation!). Beware of Acetone!!!

Last edited:

armscye

One of the Regulars
FWIW, I have machine washed about 25 different leather jackets, ranging from mall jobs in pigskin to Sixties-Seventies vintage goat and horse, without ruining one. It improves patina, generally returns the leather and lining to clean and odor-free, and does not shrink the jacket if done correctly (I have deliberately shrunk some jackets along the way, but that involved separate steps).

I use a front load washer (no agitator column), cold water, and woolite. I zip and snap everything before the jacket goes in. With suede and thin leather I put the jacket in the smallest mesh bag that will fit it. Afterwards I air dry on a hanger over a 3-4 day period.

Your mileage may vary, but I haven't ruined one yet, and there are a number of other accounts on the web where people have used the same general techniques.

If the seller won't make good, this might be a reasonable fallback choice...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24