Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MONOGRAMMED SHIRTS???

davestlouis

Practically Family
I haven't had monograms on any dress shirts in almost 20 years, but I bought a couple of shirts at Goodwill today with monograms on the left cuff, which got me thinking about it. Of course I didn't see the monograms until I got home, but it won't really hurt anything.

At any rate, opinions on monograms? Like them or not? Preferred location? What font/style?

In the deep dark past, I always got mine on the left cuff, in block lower case letters, because the "D" in my initials looked too much like an "O" in block upper case, normally navy blue thread, except one yellow shirt that had dark green thread, as I recall.

davestlouis

Practically Family
It gets weirder...the monograms are on the RIGHT cuff of the shirts I bought today, which I think must mean that the original purchaser/wearer was a leftie.

cptjeff

Practically Family
Or that he liked them on the right, possibly to have them noticed a bit more.

Personally, I think they're a tad on the pretentious side, but if you're getting a custom shirt, why not?

davestlouis

Practically Family
I think of monograms as being a pretty dressy detail. One of the shirts is a Lands' End Hyde Park oxford in light blue, with a button down collar...not the dressiest shirt in the world.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
davestlouis said:
Like them or not? Preferred location?
I don't get them on my shirts but if I were to I'd place them in an inconspicuous location which would require the removal of the jacket to be viewed. Maybe something like this:

fredastaireinitialen.jpg
[

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda