Montecristi Ultrafino hats on EBAY?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by DanielJones, Sep 13, 2006.

1. HungaryTom

HungaryTom One Too Many

Dimiyuri,

I got some very fine Montecristi hats from Panamabob.
    Seeing their quality Robert Weber definitely seems to know what makes a fine Montecristi hat.
    Can you post photos of the hat you got?

Tom

2. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

Dimiyuri
    Total Posts: 4

Sum of contributions in that time:

1. Thanks for the article, it was interesting.
    2. Personally I can't wait too. I've always loved Indiana Jones movies and Star Trek XI in 2008.
    3. I bought too on ebay an Ultrafino for $112 (570 wpi ) and always had a compliment.

For what it's worth, I don't know what a MontiCristo Pnama hat is either.

3. duggap

duggap Banned

Ole Chap, you have definitely missed the target on your Panama. Most of us here have bought from PanamaBob, and while his tact may sometime be lacking, he does know his panama hats and his price is the best you will find. Buy Brent Black if you have more money than you know what to do with. ;)

4. xigxag

xigxag New in Town

This is weird.
    If Ultrafino Panama Hat is so knowledgeable, why is there a picture of Italy instead of Ecuador in his banner ?
    [​IMG]

You speak of service :
    On the site of Ultrafino you have only an email address to communicate.
    On the site of PanamaBob you got an email address, a telphone number and 2 addresses.

Every time I mailed to Bob, I got an answer within 24 hours.

5. Panamabob

Panamabob Call Me a Cab

Thanks for the compliments Dimiyuri. Yuri happens to be one of the names that the State Attorney General came up with when I was suing Ultra Fino Panama Hats for selling me a Cuenca hat instead of a Montecristi. Don't you remember?

I've been working with Ecuadorians so long that I'm used to getting ripped off and being lied to. I'm sorry that I have to be defensive on my own webpage. Your people just don't seem to come through on their promises and it makes me look really bad and a as if I am the liar many times. Give my regards to the Mrs. Yvonne, Yvette, can't seem to remember. Oh yes, just found it: Tomatesa Enterprises http://www.anacortesartsfestival.com/ba_list_names.cfm Yuri P.

6. HarpPlayerGene

HarpPlayerGene I'll Lock Up

Ahhhhhh, the plot thickens.

Jeez Bob, I wish I'd known that you are "lacking in knowledge" before I learned so much from you over the last year or so. I could have just closed my mind and avoided all the valuable information you so generously share with us. :)

Some day I hope to have one of them there 'Monty Python' Panama hats myself! :D

7. Wil Tam

Wil Tam Practically Family

good info here, thanks for the heads up!

I'm always bumping into them though since they saturate the lists with their product... even when I'm not looking for a straw. [huh]

8. xigxag

xigxag New in Town

9. jonbuilder

jonbuilder One Too Many

10. Carlisle Blues

Carlisle Blues My Mail is Forwarded Here

Only serves to strengthen my conviction that PanamaBob is the go to guy for Panamas. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim One Too Many

I just received the Fino Fino Panama that I won in the drawings that PanamaBob graciously conducts.

He does not HAVE to do the drawings, but his commitment to the people of the area where he does business clearly leads him to contribute to their well-being.

IT IS LAUGHABLE THAT ANYONE WOULD CALL HIM LESS THAN KNOWLEDGEABLE!! But we all knew that. It's shameful and stupid for a shill for another company to come onto this website (where everyone tends to know the regulars) and try to talk down about PanamaBob.

I want to tell all here that in email communications, he and his wife were unfailingly polite, informative and helpful. They responded when asked, and they were very clear about the length of time it would take for the hat to arrive. Yes, it took a while - and that has been discussed here before, and I have no problem with it. If you have no patience, don't buy from a vendor who depends for supply on people who do not live a clock-driven lifestyle!

With that, I offer some pix. Please note that this hat is blocked ONLY - I haven't had time to work the brim at all!

Here's a pic of the hat in box - and the shipping box is a decent quality hat box which can be used for storage:

[​IMG]

Interior of hat, showing the reeded sweatband:

[​IMG]

Hat with protective plastic still in place over the crown:

[​IMG]

Hat with brim up (this brim has not been shaped, remember...:

[​IMG]

Hat with brim snapped down:
    [​IMG]

Hat on my mug:

[​IMG]

Here are the comments I can share about the fino fino:

- It's a very nice, fine weave
    - The hat is lighter in weight than I expected
    - The flexibility of the material is remarkable!
    - The overall quality of the hat appears to be very good indeed.
    - The brim is 3" wide and the highest point of the crown is 4" above the brim.

I still need to work the brim, and in the first picture you can see a page of instructions that PanamaBob included with the hat. In that document,he offers suggestions on using a tea kettle, warm iron, or sprayed-on water and weight. He also gives contact information for our own Art Fawcett and another hatter. The document also cites both this forum and thefedorachronicles.com as great places to talk about hats, which I think is highly appropriate for a communication to his customers.

In summation, my gratitude and respect go out to PanamaBob, and I look forward to giving this hat a lot of wear!

12. Ordinary Guy

Ordinary Guy One Too Many

What he said,,,, mine did the same thing.....

13. xigxag

xigxag New in Town

14. Neil

Neil A-List Customer

oh, man. . .

Am I EVER not going near these guys.