Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moose leather boots - how do I take care of them?

Johan

New in Town
Hello everyone

I just had my leather boots resoled and the shoe cobbler recommended that I treated them with some leather grease both on the inside and outside. However the boutique where I bought them don't recommend leather grease, but instead advice to use a good leather conditioner.
The boots are made from vegetable-dyed and tanned moose leather and according to the company's website they use a washed processing method to make the leather extra soft and flexible.

2015-10-23 11.32.49.jpg

So who's right? Leather grease or conditioner?
I hope you guys can help me out. I really love this pair of boots so I wan't them to last as long as possible.

Wow, unique boots. Grease implies petroleum distillates to me and you never want to use that on leather. Many of us here use Bickmore 4 on our boots and leather gear. It's a really good conditioner that won't darken leather.

I have used Lexol on my boots for years, both cleaner and conditioner. Consistent cleaning, conditioning and a good polish with Lincoln shoe polish will keep them looking good for a very long time. I also strongly recommend a good set of cedar shoe trees. They will pay for themselves quickly. I have shoes/boots that are still in great condition (leather uppers) after 25 years of wear.

Johan

New in Town
Thanks for the replies. No grease then! I'm not sure if Bick 4 or Lexol is available where I live (Denmark), but I'll see if I can find another conditioner instead.

Johan

New in Town
Johan, this fellow deals in vintage cowboy boots in Denmark and I bet he knows where to find leather conditioners.
https://www.facebook.com/thelocalbootdealer

Thank you, but on the facebook page it says that the shop is in Holland.

I have been able to find leather conditioner of a brand called Saphir, which seems to get good reviews. I think I'll order some of their stuff.
Thanks again for your advice.

And pick up a good leather polish like Lincoln. You don't have to buff them to a high gloss finish if you don't like that look.
Take care of them, they are exceptional boots!

Thank you, but on the facebook page it says that the shop is in Holland.

I have been able to find leather conditioner of a brand called Saphir, which seems to get good reviews. I think I'll order some of their stuff.
Thanks again for your advice.

Johan, I understand but it is closer to there than here. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner