Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motion Pictures that should NEVER be remade?

Feraud

Bartender
A little bit o' blasphemy for ya.
Scorsese gets Kurosawa remake in gear Martin Scorsese's long-gestating project to remake Akira Kurosawa's High and Low is finally getting under way, with Mike Nichols on board to direct and David Mamet to adapt

and what reads as possibly worse news..
and Steven Spielberg's DreamWorks is currently developing a new version of 1952's Ikiru. Meanwhile, the Weinstein Company is eyeing another remake of Seven Samurai itself.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/oct/29/scorsese-kurosawa

I recommend anyone see High and Low, Seven Samurai, and especially the amazing Ikiru.

Feraud

Bartender
I curious to see what angle is taken with the proposed Mechanic remake.

West gives 'Mechanic' an overhaul
Jason Statham to play Bronson role in remake
By DAVE MCNARY
Simon West will direct Irwin Winkler and Robert Chartoff's update of "The Mechanic."
Winkler and Chartoff produced the 1972 original, in which Charles Bronson played a highly skilled -- and massively detached -- hitman who finds himself training the son of one of his victims. Jason Statham is taking the Bronson role in the remake.

Pre-rights to the project were being sold at the Berlin Film Festival in February.

West, who last directed a remake of "When a Stranger Calls," will begin lensing this summer in Shreveport, La., where Nu Image/Millennium is building a studio.

William Chartoff and David Winkler are exec producing along with Nu Image/Millennium's Danny Dimbort, Trevor Short, Boaz Davidson and Avi Lerner. Karl Gajdusek penned the script.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118003364.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
We've already had a remake of The Seven Samurai in the form of The Magnificent Seven which was ...magnificent. They ought to (but will never) leave well enough alone. As for Hollywood's plans for the works of Kurosawa ,the High and Low remake doesn't bother me quite as much as the Ikiru plan does. Takashi Shimura's performance is too perfect. For me it's like re-doing Bogart as Rick or Marcello Mastroianni as the film director Guido Anselmo in 8 1/2 ; no one else should even think about playing those characters.

I suppose now that they're also planning to remake Bronson's The Mechanic it's not too much of a stretch of the imagination to anticipate a new version of Death Wish. No one in hollywood has the ability to convey with all of their acting skills what Bronson could do with just a look from that ugly - wonderful granite face of his. They'll probably cast Tom Cruise or Wil Smith.

(pause for gut wrenching moment).​

Tommy Lee Jones wouldn't be too bad though.

Feraud

Bartender
Sefton said:
it's not too much of a stretch of the imagination to anticipate a new version of Death Wish. No one in hollywood has the ability to convey with all of their acting skills what Bronson could do with just a look from that ugly - wonderful granite face of his. They'll probably cast Tom Cruise or Wil Smith.

(pause for gut wrenching moment).​

Tommy Lee Jones wouldn't be too bad though.
Or Jodie Foster? :)
Didn't they do a Death Wish like film with her recently?

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
These Are Some of Mine

Ghostbusters (1984)
Donnie Brasco (1997)
Fight Club (1999)
Rocky (1976)
Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
The Warriors (1979)
The Crow(1994)
Bad Boys (1983)
Pulp Fiction (1994)
Colors (1988)
True Romance (1993)
Scarface (1983) (even though it was a remake of the 1932..but both are very different)
Mask (1985)
Philadelphia (1993)
After Hours (1985)
Star Wars Episodes IV-VI
Sid & Nancy (1986)
The Breakfast Club (1985)
The Last American Virgin (1982)
Mad Max 1-3

And many many more....but you get the idea.

David V

A-List Customer
BAZ said:
Actually, I'm gonna go off on a tangent, and ask IF A REMAKE WAS BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL?
Any takers?

Richard Lester's '74 version of the Three/Four Musketeers.

I'd always fallen on the "Why Bother" side of remakes until it hit me that I've see several different productions of the same play. Each one used the same script but nothing else was the same. Why don't people complain about that?

David V

A-List Customer
Atomic Glee said:
There should never be a remake of "Forbidden Planet" - I could see no way to improve on the greatness of the original. Naturally, though, there is already a (sort of) remake in the works.
Except that "Forbidden Planet" was a remake already. And I've seen better productions of "The Tempest".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran