Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycle Officers

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I was sitting in one of our down town sub shops the other day, when two, what I thought were security guards walked in. They were dressed in, baggy paramilitary pants, combat boots, and cloth jackets. I then realized they had the patch of our local police department, they were motorcycle police officers. What happened? We are not a small town, over 600,000 people with the greater area, not NY large, but far from small. The motor officers used to look real sharp, Jodhpur ridding breeches, knee high black leather ridding boots, shined to a mirror finish, and of course, the classic black leather motorcycle jacket! Now they look like security guards! I know a lot of municipalities are doing away with the black leather jackets, because of gangs, but this is ridicules. Incidentally, we have had a few motor officers killed in wrecks lately. Have any of the rest of you noticed a decline in your Motorcycle officers dress?

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
I drive through Bevery Hills everyday and all of the motor cops all wear the traditional outfit, as well as other places in LA that I've noticed.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Breeches and high boots did pick up something of a bad rap about 70 years back...
ss-von-braun.jpg

The original "jackbooted thugs."

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
As J.J.Gittes noted, motorcycle patrolmen in the greater L.A. area pretty much adhere to the traditional uniforms, except the leather jacket. To me, they look more like "classic" police officers than those who ride in squad cars. Mounted officers also wear traditional boots, as well as cowboy hats (although I wish the various departments would authorize campaign hats for them).

RockyNomad

Familiar Face
I was sitting in one of our down town sub shops the other day, when two, what I thought were security guards walked in. They were dressed in, baggy paramilitary pants, combat boots, and cloth jackets. I then realized they had the patch of our local police department, they were motorcycle police officers. What happened? We are not a small town, over 600,000 people with the greater area, not NY large, but far from small. The motor officers used to look real sharp, Jodhpur ridding breeches, knee high black leather ridding boots, shined to a mirror finish, and of course, the classic black leather motorcycle jacket! Now they look like security guards! I know a lot of municipalities are doing away with the black leather jackets, because of gangs, but this is ridicules. Incidentally, we have had a few motor officers killed in wrecks lately. Have any of the rest of you noticed a decline in your Motorcycle officers dress?

Stearman, what municipality is it? I know in Aurora, there are two different types of motorcycle officer. One is the type you refer to as traditional and they wear the uniforms you like. Their duty is to write traffic tickets and nothing else. The other team is called the DART team. That stands for Direct Action Response Team which is quasi tactical and therefore they wear the tactical uniform you described as well as ride enduro style motorcycles for off road.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Boots

Down in the Springs. Unfortunately these were standard officers on their Honda ST1300 bikes. I have since noticed more of them dressed the same, not sure if it is optional. I frequent both the Harley and Honda shop, since I own both, I will ask an officer when I run into one. I know the leather jackets are gone, shame!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Colorado Highway Patrol

Stearman, what municipality is it? I know in Aurora, there are two different types of motorcycle officer. One is the type you refer to as traditional and they wear the uniforms you like. Their duty is to write traffic tickets and nothing else. The other team is called the DART team. That stands for Direct Action Response Team which is quasi tactical and therefore they wear the tactical uniform you described as well as ride enduro style motorcycles for off road.

I just realized, at least down here, I have not seen a Highway Patrol mounted officer in quite a few years! Does Colorado Highway Patrol still have them?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Cut Backs

Unfortunately, I just found out, that because of budget cuts, Motor Officers are no longer required to purchases the tall boots or leather jackets! Apparently, their clothing allowance was drastically cut, so no $900 jacket or $700 boots. They don't even have to tuck in their pants to the boots. Funny, they cut back on all police services, even laid off cops, but retained all Motor Officers. They make the money for the city!

Charlie74

Familiar Face
Fortunately the motorcycle cops here still wear the traditional uniforms and the tall boots. I bought a pair of those tall boots myself about 15 years ago and they wer $400 then so I am sure they are much more expensive now

HoundstoothLuke

Familiar Face
Police uniforms in general have been militarized with BDU shirts and pants and more crap on their belts than Bat Man.

I've noticed a change in uniforms over here too, moving away from the shirt and tie to combat trousers and a black polo shirt. Apparently it gives them more freedom to move or something.

Although curiously enough, it's only the more rural constabularies where this occurs. Forces like the Met and in Manchester stick with the shirt in tie, but clearly that's because their job is a lot more stationary and safer than holding a speed camera in Wiltshire.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
As J.J.Gittes noted, motorcycle patrolmen in the greater L.A. area pretty much adhere to the traditional uniforms, except the leather jacket. To me, they look more like "classic" police officers than those who ride in squad cars. Mounted officers also wear traditional boots, as well as cowboy hats (although I wish the various departments would authorize campaign hats for them).

Depending on the weather, I have seen our mounted officers here in the NYC area wearing 3/4 leather and high boots. They also wear cloth jackets and no jackets. No cowboy hats, though. They wear helmets.

3152654184_ca12c9f3fa.jpg

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
A number of years back when visiting friends in Medford, Oregon, I chatted with a Medford PD motor officer. He was riding a BMW R1100-PD and wearing an Aerostich Roadcrafter riding suit:
police_features.png

Not quite the traditional boots and leather jacket, but I can tell you from experience the Roadcrafter is very convenient to wear and provides excellent protection in the event of a crash.

I've never seen a motor officer anywhere near where I live now.

Regards,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner