Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mould

heron163

One of the Regulars
the mixture that you use at home is much weaker than commercial preparations sold for the purpose of killing molds (Spor-Klenz for ex). I wouldn't use one of those on clothing lol... but white vinegar and the strength of H2O2 you can buy at the market is pretty weak stuff... but works. yeah it off gases very little and don't stick your head in a bucket of it AND YOU WILL BE FINE... It is also much more effective at deodorizing your dog than tomato juice when it comes to skunk spray... ask me how I know lol.

heron163

One of the Regulars
Ohh dumper, after all we have been through, the thought of you putting me down is just too much for me to bear...

seriously, as in most things, there is no universal, one size fits all solution for all situations. Golf isn’t played with one club and a macro lens as well as a telephoto... a very respected member here did a restore on dads a2 using windex to get rid of some light surface mold. Imagine that

the mixture that you use at home is much weaker than commercial preparations sold for the purpose of killing molds (Spor-Klenz for ex). I wouldn't use one of those on clothing lol... but white vinegar and the strength of H2O2 you can buy at the market is pretty weak stuff... but works. yeah it off gases very little and don't stick your head in a bucket of it AND YOU WILL BE FINE... It is also much more effective at deodorizing your dog than tomato juice when it comes to skunk spray... ask me how I know lol.
My wife buys a 'cleaning' vinegar that I have used to great effect to rid items of bad odours. I imagine it is stronger than the condiment vinegar. I use it 4 to 1 and it works great. Even losing the vinegar smell after a day or so. …..which is a good thing as every time I smell vinegar I get mad cravings for French fries.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
If I remember correctly, cleaning vinegar is 6% acidity, while cooking vinegar is 5% acidity. In chemical terms, I don't know how much difference that truly is, but in pricing, I've seen cleaning cost nearly twice as much.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I still dilute the cooking distilled white vinegar 1:1 with water, still enough to rid off mold permanently from my gloves and jacket, perhaps bacteria in dirtier places needs more but then there is pinesol and other things.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Probably 2:1 is good water-vinegar. I'm pleased to report that my Soviet flight Jacket mould and mildew odour problems are solved. Fresh as a daisy, I had to keep the Jacket outside at night for a week or two, and it's been great living in that Jacket for the last month or so, excepting the Pull on the zipper is missing the Locking tooth on the pull probably was so rusted it rotted off the Jacket and the zipper won't stay up and all the metal hardware is pretty badly oxidized!!! I tried to transplant the part but YKK modern brand zipper parts..the locking tooth was not long enough even after I filed down around the surface space of that part to give it another mm, you want a challenge? Try removing and re-installing that zipper part sometime!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points