Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

movie hats that inspired you...

HadleyH said:
Great hats in that movie! are those the same hats? [huh]
0000318552-008.jpg

That's the one that motivated me. Mulholland Falls.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
HadleyH said:
Great hats in that movie! are those the same hats? [huh]
0000318552-008.jpg

I like the Penn hat - odd, but it works. Ever since seeing Redford wearing the hat with the copperish-colored band in "The Natural", I've wanted to get a similar ribbon/felt color schemed hat.

The Indy hat on the left first got me wanting a fedora, but the two on the right are my favorite all-time movie hats. I would love to duplicate those two. For the Redford hat, thinking of getting a tawny fawn Fed IV and replacing the ribbon with dark chestnut ribbon. Thoughts?

darkchestnut.jpg

BrownHats.jpg

babs

A-List Customer
Cricket said:
I was watching The Godfather on AMC yesterday, and I couldn't help but thing...That is a great hat.
Al-Pacino---The-Godfather-Photograph-C10031027.jpeg

Thank you.. :eusa_clap I was combing this thread to see if that pic was here.. That was my idea for a first "real" hat.. ( "Real" as in non-ballcap, non-chinese-mast-general-store special ) Which arrived ... yesterday. :) (newb)
Bailey Homburg black wool felt.. Next one(s) will be fur. I'm sure I look nothing like Pacino :eek: shocker.. but it's the look of the hat I dig.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is definitely one I was inspired by as well. Here's the Knox Homburg I found while on the hunt for Pacino's hat.

IMG_2087.jpg

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2090.jpg

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Mulholland Falls - ditto for me. Penn's moss green/rust ribbon is gorgeous!

For me,

in terms of future acquisitions, the hat Lang wears in PE is an inspiration:

gallrg_act_pubena.jpg

I couldn't get a picture of the hat!

Lonny

One of the Regulars
Woo!
I was waiting for somebody to post a Public Enemies hat, I liked Lang in there, he was great and he had a great hat. :)

I'm on the fence about Johnny's hat though, it looks purple in some lights...

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
ScottF said:
I like the Penn hat - odd, but it works. Ever since seeing Redford wearing the hat with the copperish-colored band in "The Natural", I've wanted to get a similar ribbon/felt color schemed hat.

The Indy hat on the left first got me wanting a fedora, but the two on the right are my favorite all-time movie hats. I would love to duplicate those two. For the Redford hat, thinking of getting a tawny fawn Fed IV and replacing the ribbon with dark chestnut ribbon. Thoughts?

darkchestnut.jpg

BrownHats.jpg
Scott, this thread has been bumped up lately, and I just came across your post about Redford's hat and the rust ribbon. I suggest doing this: contact Jenny or Deb at Hats Direct and tell them you want to order the Fed IV, but want to replace the ribbon with a rust-colored ribbon. When I did this with my Campdraft, they sent along--no charge--enough ribbon for me to switch them out. And rust was one of the colors they had available at the time. Don't know if that was a fluke, but it's worth a try.
Steve

DodgeDeluxe

New in Town
Well, they have already been pictured earlier in this thread, but the hats that have influenced me are the newsboy caps worn by Henry Fonda in the "Grapes of Wrath", and George Clooney in "O Brother Where Art Thou". I really like the newsboy cap. I just bought one from MensHats.com and I am very happy with it, a grey tweed. I just bought another one from Hat People, a brown twill. I'll post some pics later.

Dan

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jazzncocktails said:
Scott, this thread has been bumped up lately, and I just came across your post about Redford's hat and the rust ribbon. I suggest doing this: contact Jenny or Deb at Hats Direct and tell them you want to order the Fed IV, but want to replace the ribbon with a rust-colored ribbon. When I did this with my Campdraft, they sent along--no charge--enough ribbon for me to switch them out. And rust was one of the colors they had available at the time. Don't know if that was a fluke, but it's worth a try.
Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks. Great minds think alike - I did exactly what you suggested, when I placed my order. Jenny found some rust ribbon and emailed back saying that it didn't work with Heritage Fawn. As was your experience, she told me she would include ribbon if I wanted, but I took her word for it and passed.

I'm happy with the Fed IV as-is, but if I spot just the right ribbon, I might make the change. I DO think that Heritage Fawn is a pretty good match for Redford's hat.

I know, James; that was addressed to the community as a whole. Actually, come to think of it the Shadow had some influence on me too, both stylistically and as a "donor personality"... and much as I hate Alec Baldwin, I gotta admit that his version brought some interesting new developments to the character. (Not to mention Jerry Goldsmith's kick-arse theme work!)

----------------
Now playing: James Horner - Escobedo's New Friend
via FoxyTunes

Diamondback said:
I know, James; that was addressed to the community as a whole. Actually, come to think of it the Shadow had some influence on me too, both stylistically and as a "donor personality"... and much as I hate Alec Baldwin, I gotta admit that his version brought some interesting new developments to the character. (Not to mention Jerry Goldsmith's kick-arse theme work!)

Here you go:
http://www.vintagelibrary.com/audio/sound/Shadow.htm lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR