Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

movie hats that inspired you...

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
True but as actors we only know them from the films they made and some of them stand out more to us than others. As with James Cagney if you look up photos of him he wore about every hat out there and looked good doing it.
Gotta agree with you on Cagney...he could wear any kind of hat and look good wearing it...

Cagney...White Heat
cagneywhiteheat.jpg

Cagney & Bogart...Roaring Twenties...
cagneynautical.jpg

Except for Cowboy hats...neither Bogart nor Cagney could pull that one off...
bogartandcagneycowboy.jpg

Leave Cowboy hats to this guy...He was made for them...John Wayne, "The Searchers"
johnwayneethanedwards.png

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I guess I'm gonna have to find a picture, but dear old Spencer Tracy sure knew how to flick a brim with the best of them. And he knew how to tilt one, too.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Indiana Jones and Harry Steele

Ummmm, no mention of Indiana Jones?? He's a LITTLE too popular and all, but he DID make the fedora famous again.

I used to own Mulholland Falls, but it got borrowed and never made it home. Love that movie. I loved Nick Nolte beating the crap out of the FBI agent with the sap.

Bogie is THE Fedora wearer. I own all of his movies with Lauren Bacall, and Casablanca. Great stuff.

Later

Yup, you're right...Indiana Jones brought the revival of fedoras...hmmm...but who was the first Indiana Jones like character?...
aindianajonesandharryst.jpg

...or could this have been the original Indiana Jones type character....Alan Ladd, "China"
alanladd.jpg

Someone wanted to see Spencer Tracy wearing a fedora....he does wear it well...this one's for you dhermann1...
spencerandhepburn.jpg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Terry and the Pirates (1940, Alan Ladd in China (1943), Charlton Heston in Secret of the Incas (1954), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1943) and that's pretty much what I found on Amazon.com. Terry and the Pirates is an old comic strip / movie serial, and then TV series. They wore Pith Helmets, safari hats, and pilot gear.

Later

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Raging Bull

Just watched Raging Bull last night with Robert Deniro wearing a pretty neat fedora in a couple scenes...anybody have an idea what this fedora is? At a glance it looks something like a western style Open Road with a Cattleman's crease, but with a wide ribbon...

ragingbulli.jpg

ragingbull02.jpg

Monte

A-List Customer
It sure does resemble an OR w a wide ribbon. Maybe like a Whippetish hat w the brim snapped up. I am always tempted to go back to the original cattleman's crease on my 7XCB.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
The Tom Hardy Lawless Hat

...seems to be an inspiration for at least a few around here. Thought I'd bring this thread to the fore.

Banky, would you consider posting pics of your new VS here?

My Falcon Park variation:

007fs.jpg

0062copy.jpg

and I have this vintage Wellington of more modest proportions that I actually think has a more accurate color scheme, though crown and brim are too small and the bow is obviously a different style.

zrke.jpg

job

One Too Many
I watched John Carpenter's The Thing again yesterday and I thought Kurt Russel's hat looked cool but large for a pilot.

thing-mac9.jpg-70894d1318568479

Kurt-Russell-Funny-Hat1.jpg

Attachments

• kurtstupidhat.jpg
    kurtstupidhat.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 2,584
The first movie I ever saw in a theater was Bonnie and Clyde (1967) when I was six years old; one heck of an introduction to cinema! Clearly it had an impact, as I've loved the "look" of the era--the hats, the clothes, the cars, etc.--as long as I can remember.

It wasn't until Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) that I saw a specific movie hat that I wanted to own; Indy's, of course. This was unusual for me because I never really had an interest in hats, and rarely wore them growing up. As such, it wasn't until I saw Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008) that I finally decided to get one--an Akubra Fed IV. As much as I liked the hat in Raiders, I really liked the more "traditional" fedora shape of the Crystal Skull hat.

However, the very first hat I wanted to own was from a television series--the hat worn by Kwai Chang Caine (David Carradine) in Kung Fu (1972-75):

Caine_Hat_zps3bf3ffb3.gif

I love the look of a well-worn beater, and this hat certainly qualifies. On the Kung Fu Season 2 DVD box set, in one of the commentaries Carradine had this to say about the hat: "I chose the hat because I thought this was kind of an 'everyman' character, and I wanted a hat that looked like...something like Jimmy Stewart would wear. And, so we found this Stetson, uh, I think it's actually called a 'Sheriff's' model, and, uh, you know, messed it up. And, of course, it got messier as, uh, the show went on." I don't have the hat...yet...but I've ordered an Akubra Campdraft (Silverbelly) that I'm hoping will one day be "Caine-esque".

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
High and wide! ;)

I'll measure and come back and edit this post. I think it's almost 3 inches wide and 5 inches creased at the front. It has a teardrop with only a slight rake.

I get 5 1/8" at the highest point of the crown, just behind the pinch, and 4 3/8" in the back of the crown, with a 1 7/8" ribbon. The brim is 2 7/8" wide, with 3/8" ribbon binding.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran