Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

movie hats that inspired you...

wrvavra

New in Town
I too really started to pay attention to felt hats after seeing "The Natural" a half dozen times. The hat in your avatar, tonyb, reminds me very much of one of Redford's in that film. Can you give me some more info about it?

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Since I was a kid, Ive always wanted to wear a fedora. But it wasnt until I got a job in downtown chicago where I had to dress up, that I really got the confidence to actually wear one. This forum and all the members really helped me be comfortable wearing hats in a world predominately of nonwearers. I wish I started wearing them years ago. These are the movies and shows that imprinted the image of the fedora in my brain as a child:

The Untouchables tv show with Robert Stack
untouch.jpg

Eight Men Out
Eight20Men20Out.jpg

The Untouchables (The movie)
cop_untouchables-431x300.jpg

The Godfather (ALL PARTS)
sjff_01_img0198.jpg

Dick Tracy (The movie)
196dicktracy1.jpg

Stoneface

New in Town
Back in the days as I had to buy a baseball cap to protect my hair from dirt at work and to keep them in place one of them was a Detroit Tigers cap:

2en6ii1.jpg

Dark, plain and simple, nice old letter and it was the cap of a sympathic character.

Last year as I decided to get rid of all my hair I opted against wearing baseball caps anymore - short hairs or bald and wearing a baseball cap isn`t something special today.

So I remembered all the silent movies of my childhood and several other old movies where flatcaps were most of the time worn by workers or little crooks.

And as I recently needed a suit it was clear that I would need a fedora for a mobster outfit.
The Indy fedora had the perfect color for my suit and it was a real bargain price.

Barbellion

New in Town
Hi all!

My first time post... I'm very gald to have found this place. This thread is fantastic. I've been wearing fedora hats and similar since I was about 15, and I'm 32 now. My hat obsession started watching Peter Davison in Doctor Who as a child;
Peter_Davison_Dr_Who_in_front_of_TA.jpg

Of course, there are some great hats running through several of the good Doctor's lives - someone on here has already mentioned the fantastic Tom Baker.

My future preference of hat style was cemented by seeing Jack Nicholson as a pre-Joker Jack Napier in Batman;
jack_nicholson5.jpg

Insanely stylish, the whole outfit. I developed a deep love of Bogart and film noir in general during my teens, which many perceptive people have referenced on this thread. The 30s/40s were definitely a high point for style.
When I saw Lee Van Cleef in For A Few Dollars More, though, my heart leapt;
lee_van_cleefforda.jpg

I am not into western style per se, but the echoes of Victorian/Edwardian dress seem to marry so well with the Gaucho/Cordoba style hat... There's also something a bit John Wesley about it all, too, which is a look I love!

Everyone should see Klaus Kinski in Fitzcarraldo, too;
fitzcarraldo.jpg

And I occasionally wear a proper topper too, for which I probably have these gentlemen to thank as inspiration;
brett.jpg

Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes
willywkna.jpg

Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka

D Gambini

New in Town
John Lurie (Right) In Stranger Than Paradise
btw what kind of shirt is that?
Jarmusch.jpg

DeNiro-RagingBull.jpg

De Niro's lid in Raging Bull, Molto Bene !
I wish i could find a hat like this
the picture does no justice, watch the film.

One Too Many
My opinion

D Gambini said:
John Lurie (Right) In Stranger Than Paradise
btw what kind of shirt is that?
Jarmusch.jpg

DeNiro-RagingBull.jpg

De Niro's lid in Raging Bull, Molto Bene !
I wish i could find a hat like this
the picture does no justice, watch the film.
It seems a black open road, with large ribbon and flat brim. (Special fixed to movie) I like too. Good Style:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not Exactly Movies

This is my first post, though I've been purveying the contents of this forum for a good 3+ weeks. Thanks to the input of many "loungers", I'm actually about to order my very first brimmed hat (I have a Tilley's Endurables, but it's not what I call a "go-out-in-public" kind of hat.

Anyway: I, like many, experienced fedoras from Indy movies and Bogart films. What REALLY got me into brimmed hats--and I doubt many others will share my experiences--are several Japanese "anime" series, specifically Hellsing, Baccano, and GunXSword.

Hellsing is set "kinda" in Victorian England, albeit with vampires and ridiculous amounts of gore. The "kinda" hero is Alucard (read: Dracula) and he dresses a little something like this (try guessing the brim width on that sucker):

o_hellsing_alucard01s.jpg

There's also BACCANO!: A deceptively gory thriller that's chock full of style and is set in the early 1930s, I believe in New York City. This pic shows the "hero" (and I use that term lightly, there are over 14 characters and its chronology is achronistic, much like a Tarantino flick) Firo Prochainezo. He is getting his first hat ever, a tradition for new inductees into the fictional Martillo crime family:

000169ha

Lastly, here is a vid of BACCANO, if you care to view it. I don't know how accurate the detailing is, and it is in Japanese. It's an action scene in which Firo beats up several thugs who are attacking an old man, making DAMN sure never to let his hat out of sight, much less touch the ground. I find it a clever vid, especially since I glorify hats a little too much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUPpcIOAC0Y

So that is my story, some movies, some series, from different parts of the globe. Hopefully you don't think me too wierd.

danofarlington

can you find Errol Flynn

I mentioned in another thread Errol Flynn's hat in "Silver River," a 1948 movie. It's a cavalry type hat in a post Civil War story that looks great on him. In the same movie portrayal era you also have Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin in "Sergeants 3," with cavalry hats appearing to me to be Stetson adaptations. If anyone knows how to pull those off the cloud and is inclined to do so, I think they represent a cool look.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
A few more from The Thin Man

Film No. 3 (1939):

A lovely 4-point kite diamond... :D

the_thin_man_film_03_01.jpg

Film No. 4 (1941):

What a kink in the front brim!

the_thin_man_film_04_01.jpg

I really like this one.

the_thin_man_film_04_02.jpg

Another kite with a nice box bow and wind trolley.

the_thin_man_film_04_03.jpg

danofarlington

Mario said:
A few more from The Thin Man

I really like this one.

the_thin_man_film_04_02.jpg
I've also always liked that white William Powell Thin Man hat. I hope to get one like it some day. The contrast with a dark suit is very good. I like it more because I see few like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR