Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Much Needed Advice Concerning a Home Permanent?

Helena Grace

New in Town
My apologies if this is elsewhere - but as this is for me personally......

I have read this site for a while, and have found it infinitely useful in my own forays into this delightful fashion. However, I am very isolated from anyone - let alone any that can advise or comment on my fashion and whatnot - and tend to keep far away from permanent or at least long-lasting consequences. Thus - my problem with permanents.

My hair when straight is rather long, reaching my natural waist at it's longest point. a week or so ago, I took the plunge (closed my eyes quite tight) and allowed one of my few friends to round the edges off by several inches (four or five I think.....) and add some layers in at the longest part of my hair. All in all, I am quite pleased with it even as I mourn the loss of my long hair (even though it's basically the same length, just a bit more rounded instead of straight...), because the sudden ability of my pincurl settings to stay in my hair for a week instead of merely a few days before turning into a style almost exactly like Veronica Lake's (quite lovely in its own right, but my face just doesn't suit it..... Other than that, I loved it.) waves. But now it stays curled for the entire week until I have to wash it again simply because of oil buildup.

Now, I had considered getting a perm because my mother always said that they helped keep a curl in hair longer. I got one done at home (we never go out) two years ago when my hair was still about this long, suffocated on the fumes, and got basically just frizzy hair as a result. Nothing. Did nothing for my hair or my styling. However, I am considering it again even as I hate the idea - if that makes sense.

firstly, I am wondering if - with hair this long and medium thickness - a home permanent would even take. Is there a way that I can do it so the curls don't fall out perhaps? Would it be possible at all for a home permanent to yield the result of pincurled hair after taking a shower and washing one's hair - would it automatically curl or am I hoping for the impossible?

Secondly, if I were to take the route of perming my hair again, has anyone suggestions for how to curl it so that it will work with my pincurl setting pattern when I do that? Roller sizes, and whatnot?

I really am learning this by trial and error - but my hair is the one thing I like about myself and it is rather....precious, to me.

Literally. although I hope not to have to chase after it into lava, please......

and if my massacred questions and explanations need more clarifying, please ask.

Fräulein U.

Familiar Face
If your hair keeps a curl for a week(!) I really wouldn't risk another perm, home or pro. An air dried perm never looks like a pincurl set, it's just the base for a set to hold longer.

Helena Grace

New in Town
The last permanent I got has long since grown and faded out of my hair - thankfully.

Do you know if there would be any chance with longer hair of a perm making the pincurling itself easier? and would you happen to know how much longer a permanent will allow the curl to hold?

I apologise for the bother - I only wish to make a completely informed decision so as is not be merely said that I'm backing out out of fear again.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have no experience with perms myself. However, from what I've read they make a set last longer and take better (hence why many ladies had them done in the day). My understanding is that you want more of a "wave" permanent than a "curl" permanent. There's a woman who did quite an exploration into this topic a few years ago (I believe Gracie Lee was her name), I'll see if I can dig up the thread.

Fräulein U.

Familiar Face
Do you know if there would be any chance with longer hair of a perm making the pincurling itself easier? and would you happen to know how much longer a permanent will allow the curl to hold?

I've been setting my hair all the time for a few years now and added perms every 4 - 6 months for the last two or so. The last few times were with a hairdresser who learned her trade in the 70s when sets were still (or - 30s revival - again) common. She's incredibly fast! A standard perm is really all you need, nothing fancy. The only extra I ask for is using one size smaller rods at the nape of the neck because that section tends to straighten out on me first if I get sweaty.

In my experience the perm doesn't make pincurling easier or faster, that's rather a matter of practice. Without a perm I needed to dry set again every night, and on a humid day my sets would fall out within a couple of hours. With a perm my hair looks the same by the end of the day in pretty much any weather (with reasonable precautions like a hair net, scarf and umbrella in really bad weather) and if I use a hairnet at night I can go three days with minimal upkeep. That's me being a perfectionist though, I could probably go for a week and still look tidy. But I don't mind re-curling dry so I still do it every other day or every third.

I wash my hair once a week. If my sets would look good for as long without a perm I really wouldn't see the point of getting one. With a perm you're doomed to set (or straighten) every time you wash or it'll look all 80s.

Helena Grace

New in Town
Very well - thank you so much! Yes - the state of the hair without pincurling was rather my worry...... I can only do home permanents - and the fumes definitely discourage me from attempting it again.

Thank you very much for your assistance and advice!

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
I have wondered on more than one occasion if it would be viable to perm hair on sponge rollers in a vintage set pattern or perm pin curls if there were such a thing as plastic bobby pins or some kind of plastic clips. I'm afraid to perm my hair for fear of damage but maybe it would work for someone else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff