Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Music suggestions 20's 30's big band & jazz?

HadleyH1

One Too Many
Savoy Orpheans -- Here Comes Malinda

to tell you the truth Brunswick .... I'm not a fan of the teens and early twenties ... that sound bothers my ears....and puts me in a very bad mood... but I do respect everything ...oh yeah....I do respect.:p

on the other hand....

late 1920s right to the 60s... and beyond sometimes..... I adore!:D

to tell you the truth Brunswick .... I'm not a fan of the teens and early twenties ... that sound bothers my ears....and puts me in a very bad mood... but I do respect everything ...oh yeah....I do respect.:p

on the other hand....

late 1920s right to the 60s... and beyond sometimes..... I adore!:D

Is it the musical stylings of the '10s/early'20s or the often meh quality of acoustic recordings? Admittedly the sound quality can be a bit of a toss up. I've heard acoustic recordings that sound like it was recorded with a cheese grater and a cardboard mailing tube and I've heard examples that sound almost like an electric recording.

HadleyH1

One Too Many
Is it the musical stylings of the '10s/early'20s or the often meh quality of acoustic recordings? Admittedly the sound quality can be a bit of a toss up. I've heard acoustic recordings that sound like it was recorded with a cheese grater and a cardboard mailing tube and I've heard examples that sound almost like an electric recording.

It's a mix of everything VC!

I tend to like the sound of bigger dance bands, more instruments and band players.... a more refine sound ...also excellent vocalists.

That bigger, rounder more impressive sound of the late 1920s on....as opposed to earlier times, that boom boom boom type of sound ...to my ear at least.... I hate that.....hope I make sense.

My personal opinion of course.:)

HadleyH1

One Too Many
Also I want to add

There are a few exceptions where I like music from 1920 to 1925. But they are exceptions for me.

You will never see me posting here (almost never...) songs from 1920 to 1925 or 26.

It's a very fine line in music for me....from love to hate...so to speak, I'm funny that way.;)

Savoy Orpheans -- Ducky (1926)

kissy2.jpg

Phil Harris and his Orchestra -- The Cop On The Beat, The Man In The Moon And Me (1932)
vocal by Leah Ray

Of all the people in this lonely old world
Who are the loneliest three?
The cop on the beat
The Man in the Moon and me

Around the corner there's a party upstairs
Here on the corner are we
The cop on the beat

I go to my room and I open the door
But there's nothing but gloom
So I go to the corner
Just to hang around some more

I see the happy-looking couples go by
They're so in love they can't see
The cop on the beat

Guy Marks -- Loving You Has Made Me Bananas
While not from the '30s, it was written and recorded by comedian Guy Marks in 1968 as both a parody and tribute to the Big Band broadcasts of the '30s and '40s with its rambling intro and often absurd song lyrics of the period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points