Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Music?

Story

I'll Lock Up
taylord said:
Some times a couple of freinds of mine and I dress up in our "ganster" suits and roll around town. But the problem in we have no music for the style. I put in frank sinatra and they dont like it so we usually end up listening to "gangsta" music (rap). any one got a suggestion for tunes?

You want to start with the first season of CRIME STORY's soundtrack, kiddo

protectedimage.php

Here's the synopsis
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=12714

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6917810

The soundtrack is a hard-to-find two CD set, and the NYT said "the score, credited to Todd Rundgren, includes everything from Del Shannon's ''Runaway'' to Johnny Mathis's ''Chances Are.'' Del Shannon cut a remake just for the series. You can hear the 30 years of pain, whiskey and cigarettes over the original cut. Shannon died shortly thereafter.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
How 'bout some of the Brian Setzer Orchestra stuff, too? It's somewhat contemporary so your friends may buy into it. You can even ease them into it with The Stray Cats!

There is some really jumpin' stuff going on out there, like Miles Mosely. Check out his live Web cast at Flashrock.

Or maybe some other contemporary stuff, like Blue Plate Special or Cherry Poppin' Daddies. A little dated on the contemporary scene, I realize, but at least it will be somewhat familiar. Then it's just a short jump to the really good stuff.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Cherry popping what?!?

Sorry buddy, I have to say no! That band is so, SO over played it's not even funny... the real swing dance crowd here has been scared for life because of those guys... they're not jazz, they're not swing, they started life as Punk I think? Yeah, something like that... they then recorded "Zoot Suit Riot" and well, that became what song people would mock us swing guys with... The name of the band is vulgar and crude... it's just a tasteless band... ich! Since swearing on here isn't wise, I'll use the worst swear word I know it's... PLASTIC! I call it "Wal*Mart Swing" to me, they’re a bunch of posers! They recorded one song that was in the swing vain but, they’re so, not, swing! And if you blast that from your car, people will laugh and mistake you for something else… a fight may ensue.

Sorry to sound like a downer but, I really don't care for those guys one bit! Ask any one of my friends and they'll agree!

Ok, back to the conversation. lol Smilies :D :D :D

=WR=

ortega76

Practically Family
So your buddie like hip-hop but you want something a bit more retro?

Try Re-Bop: The Savoy Remixes. Savoy Records has released this little gem of classic be-bop tracks remixed by some of hip-hop's best DJs. We're not talking about sampling or rapping. The remixes are quite good (DJs include Ali Shaheed Muhammed of A Tribe Called Quest) and keep the original flavor of the music. I picked it up and I highly recommend it. Maybe not so much a "gangster" vibe but cool nonetheless.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
Sorry buddy, I have to say no! That band is so, SO over played it's not even funny... the real swing dance crowd here has been scared for life because of those guys... they're not jazz, they're not swing, they started life as Punk I think? Yeah, something like that... they then recorded "Zoot Suit Riot" and well, that became what song people would mock us swing guys with... The name of the band is vulgar and crude... it's just a tasteless band... ich! Since swearing on here isn't wise, I'll use the worst swear word I know it's... PLASTIC! I call it "Wal*Mart Swing" to me, they’re a bunch of posers! They recorded one song that was in the swing vain but, they’re so, not, swing! And if you blast that from your car, people will laugh and mistake you for something else… a fight may ensue.

Sorry to sound like a downer but, I really don't care for those guys one bit! Ask any one of my friends and they'll agree!

Ok, back to the conversation. lol Smilies :D :D :D

=WR=

I'm pretty much in agreement on the Cherry Poppin' Daddies. Every now and then I stick that CD in, and then I remember why I never listen to it. But it is familiar, anyway, and I thought Taylord's friends might be a little more open to it if they had at least heard it before. Remember, music is like fine wine. The more you drink, the more refined your tastes become. You have to start with something that is agreeable to your current palate, and graduate to the better stuff.

I was actually going to suggest some ska, too! Getting into the sound of brass instead of synthesizers, guitars and drums is a start! The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, for example. Might help Taylord's friends appreciate that just because it isn't just guitars and drums that it can still be pretty cool.

And it's no downer to get good opinions! I, for one, depend on your knowledge and good taste!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Mojave Jack said:
I'm pretty much in agreement on the Cherry Poppin' Daddies. Every now and then I stick that CD in, and then I remember why I never listen to it. But it is familiar, anyway, and I thought Taylord's friends might be a little more open to it if they had at least heard it before. Remember, music is like fine wine. The more you drink, the more refined your tastes become. You have to start with something that is agreeable to your current palate, and graduate to the better stuff.

I was actually going to suggest some ska, too! Getting into the sound of brass instead of synthesizers, guitars and drums is a start! The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, for example. Might help Taylord's friends appreciate that just because it isn't just guitars and drums that it can still be pretty cool.

And it's no downer to get good opinions! I, for one, depend on your knowledge and good taste!

Yeah, I know what you mean. Before I got into Big Band, it was a time before "Neo-Swing" and what I liked was 50's and 60's Rock and Doo-wap! Then, I was exposed to Big Band... it wasn't hard to start liking that! And when I got into Big Band, there wasn't any "Neo-Swing" around so, I listened to the original stuff... I then discovered Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and listened to them some... I then realized that I liked the original recordings way more. Big Bad are good guys and they're really talented but, something is missing in modern swing... it has no soul to me... feels kind of empty. I guess you could call me a Jazz or swing Nazi but, I just know what I like and why I like it because I've tried most of everything and well, I know what makes me happiest.

Say, what happened to the young man who asked the first question? He hasn't popped in here to say anything... dude, are you there? What say ye about some of the suggestions?

=WR=

jeffo

New in Town
taylord said:
Some times a couple of freinds of mine and I dress up in our "ganster" suits and roll around town. But the problem in we have no music for the style. I put in frank sinatra and they dont like it so we usually end up listening to "gangsta" music (rap). any one got a suggestion for tunes?

I think what you are looking for is music of the 40's on the R&B side. Music that swings hard and has wild honkin' saxophone solos? The first artist that comes to mind is one of my favorites, Earl Bostic(Alto Sax). Louis Jordan(Alto Sax), Tiny Grimes(Guitar), and here's a real good one, Benny Goodman(Clarinet)! Something different than the Benny Goodman Orchestra, look for The Benny Goodman Sextet recordings, they swing like mad! If these cats don't make you scream, fagetabatit!

Jeff O'

Jeff O's Retro Music
50's Songs You Never Heard!
New Original Doo Wop, 50's Rock Swing & Rockabilly songs.
http://www.jeffosretromusic.com

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
ortega76 said:
So your buddie like hip-hop but you want something a bit more retro?

Try Re-Bop: The Savoy Remixes. Savoy Records has released this little gem of classic be-bop tracks remixed by some of hip-hop's best DJs.

Great, and the Blue Note equivalent...

B000005H2H.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f=pd_bbs_1/002-2448816-3397603?_encoding=UTF8

And there's some great artists out there otherwise combining jazz with hiphop like 2002's You Have Reached Mike Phillips

B000066AJQ.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V66769580_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2/002-2448816-3397603?s=music&v=glance&n=5174

then you can ease into the real vintage 40s stuff...

Swing High,

- Cousin Hepcat

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Question for Swing fans, especially Wild Root

Just wondering, what do you think of Royal Crown Revue? :eek:fftopic: I know, but I find the opinions and taste of people who can discuss music intelligently (all of you here) very interesting. For the record, I enjoy their maturation from album to album and I think they are one modern Swing/R'n'B group who do have a lot of soul. What do you think?

Wild Root

Gone Home
RCR ain’t bad, they did have their "Golden Era" but, they're getting a little tired these days. I know Eddie and he's a cool guy... always nice to me... in fact, I sat at his table once when I was at a restaurant to see Sam Butera perform... that was amazing!

Royal Crown is full of great musicians... they play well together and put on a good show... however, I will not pay more then $10. to see them. I like what they did for the music world but, for me to truly be inspired to dance, it has to be more authentic Big Band or R&B swing... I really dig Stompy Jones my self.

=WR=

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Root

I always value your opinion on all things Golden Era, or GE-related.

I'd really dig seeing Sam Butera perform . . . That'd really be something else!

Stompy Jones is unknown over here. I'll have to check him out on the 'net.

Wild Root

Gone Home
They're a fun band! They put on a show, a good show but, NO ONE DANCES TO THEM!!!

Ever since they "Out Grew" The Derby, they will perform in a concert styled venue... it's not dance friendly... it sucks! I've seen them play once and no one danced... they crowded up to the stage as if it was Elvis!!! Crazy kids!

I used to listen to them all the time, well, I don't really mind them but, as you know, I'm a die hard purest and the originals is how I get my kicks!

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Benny Holiday said:
I always value your opinion on all things Golden Era, or GE-related.

I'd really dig seeing Sam Butera perform . . . That'd really be something else!

Stompy Jones is unknown over here. I'll have to check him out on the 'net.

Ah, you're welcome! I do what I can man!;)

Yeah, I've seen Sam Butera perform three times... twice at the Derby and once at a small place called "Frank & Dean's" that's where I was with Eddie and company... swell time!

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21