Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Aero D-1

powersci

One of the Regulars
I didn't get to have a fit of this one before I bought it. But with my Aero B-6 at a 38, I was easily able to figure out which size I needed for the D-1. I wanted something a little looser than my B-6. As mr_lits said, the B-6 has a slimmer fit and he's right. Definitely more form fitting to my body. The D-1 lets me wear another layer or two under it without problem (although I doubt I'll ever need to).

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I sized up with my ELC D1 from my usual L to XL...great fit (still trim) & very practical...those two pockets are perfect for life's essentials...wallet & I-Phone :) Sees more action the my Irvin!

Deacon211

One Too Many
Beautiful jacket!

I thought the B-6 was specifically designed for P-38 pilots as sitting between the engines vice on top of them as in the Mustang and T-bolt made for a very chilly flight. Think I read that in some version of ELC's materials.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Beautiful jacket!

I thought the B-6 was specifically designed for P-38 pilots as sitting between the engines vice on top of them as in the Mustang and T-bolt made for a very chilly flight. Think I read that in some version of ELC's materials.

Robin Olds was a P-38 pilot. Mmmm, I could do a tribute repro with his sqn/grp patch....

Big J

Call Me a Cab
So, maybe I've asked this before (I don't remember, it's my age), but I love to see some fit photos of Aero B-6 and D-1.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I wonder if B-6s were patched and painted as the A-2s. That would be a cool looking jacket!

Well, here's Robin when he was flying P-51's. He's standing on the wing root. What's he wearing? B-6? D-1?

l2-w.jpg

Deacon211

One Too Many
Nice pic!

My totally uninformed opinion is that it is a B-6. The collar looks too white to be an A-2 and it looks like he has his hand in his pocket. That could make it either a B-6 or a D-1 but my impression is that it's a lot easier to get your hand that low in a B-6 pocket than a D-1 one.

Complete speculation of course.

Wonder if he had anything on the back.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Nice pic!

My totally uninformed opinion is that it is a B-6. The collar looks too white to be an A-2 and it looks like he has his hand in his pocket. That could make it either a B-6 or a D-1 but my impression is that it's a lot easier to get your hand that low in a B-6 pocket than a D-1 one.

Complete speculation of course.

Wonder if he had anything on the back.

I know! It's hard to make out exactly what jacket that is since the photo isn't so focused.
But whatever jacket it was, the USAAF was throwing jackets at him! He had an A-2 and a B-10 as well.

l2-w2.jpg

olds.jpg

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I wonder if B-6s were patched and painted as the A-2s. That would be a cool looking jacket!

He was flying both types in the 479th FG, 434th FS.
Here's the unit emblem for the 434th FS;

434.gif

Now I remember back when I ordered my first Aero A-2 (before all the WL trouble), Aero had something like 50 pages of group and squadron patches. I guess all those pages had to come down because WL took a lot of it home, and the police returned it to Aero all mixed up in big evidence bags, but I reckon if they had a picture and a unit number (and enough time), they've probably got one and could find it.

The Devil motif is something that Robin used on his Vietnam F-4;
ab9b50e3bf8ca0c56331001faecf1439.jpg
2829x2241xBG-Robin-Olds-USAR-Ret.-with-SCAT-XXVII-at-NMUSAF.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Yb8miBxkY4.jpg

Last edited:

Barabus

New in Town
Been thinking about an anj4 from Aero. Anyone have an opinion as to this D1 vs the Aero anj4? Fit wise? Same shearing I suppose? What is your best guess as to temp range for that D1?

powersci

One of the Regulars
Barabus, I tried the ANJ-4 from Aero but didn't keep it. A few things:
1. The fit is much closer than with the D-1. Perhaps it's because my D-1 came with softer backing that the ANJ-4. The ANJ-4 felt stiff.
2. The collar on the ANJ-4 is huge compared to the D-1; not my style.
3. The shearling length seemed the same (from what I recall).

I prefer my D-1. It's the perfect fit/cut for what I ordered and it's extremely comfortable.

There are a few good posts on here about ANJ-4s. Check them out.

mr_lits

A-List Customer

Here is a D1 from my collection that is painted. I think it is one of the coolest sheepskins I own and is still sturdy enough to take out on a winter walk once or twice a year. The squadron patch is from the 615TH Bomb Sqdn 401 BG. The bombs on the back have the missions listed but are very faded with time.
IMG_3620.jpg IMG_3621.jpg

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I posted a fit pic of my d-1 in the thread. I also have a fit pic of my B-6. Keep in mind my B-6 is one size smaller (38).

Yes you did! Thank you for the links! I can't remember, why did you order a B-6 one size down? They both look like they fit really well. I'm kind of surprised because I always imagined that the B-6 wads a trim design, but that the D-1 was more 'boxy'. But you'd say that the B-6 is looser than a D-1 in the same size (if both are from Aero)?

Barabus

New in Town
Barabus, I tried the ANJ-4 from Aero but didn't keep it. A few things:
1. The fit is much closer than with the D-1. Perhaps it's because my D-1 came with softer backing that the ANJ-4. The ANJ-4 felt stiff.
2. The collar on the ANJ-4 is huge compared to the D-1; not my style.
3. The shearling length seemed the same (from what I recall).

I prefer my D-1. It's the perfect fit/cut for what I ordered and it's extremely comfortable.

There are a few good posts on here about ANJ-4s. Check them out.

Thanks. Appreciate the advice. Hope to get something as nice as your D1. Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto