Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Art Fawcett Panama - With Pride

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
The wavy brim is an element of style. Ones unique head shape is reflected in a brim. It looks dashing, a bit mysterious, and certainly classic.

Or as if the hat isn't made well. [huh] What you say may be said about a jacket as well which by mistake of the tailor has one of the sleeves an inch longer than the other one, or which has a diagonal crease in the back. Certainly daring. ;)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
Or as if the hat isn't made well. [huh] What you say may be said about a jacket as well which by mistake of the tailor has one of the sleeves an inch longer than the other one, or which has a diagonal crease in the back. Certainly daring. ;)
Not exactly the same analogy. Drape would be closer.
Scott and I wear the same size hat. I bet that if we exchanged hats, they would look different. ;)

Chaperon

New in Town
Also a LO

Scotrace -

As fate would have it, I am about to pull the trigger on an order to Panama Bob to go to Art for blocking. I also have a long oval head but I think perhaps a more rounded LO as some "off rack" hats fit me ok (only ok, not fabulous).

I also like the block of your hat quite alot - is that the Bogey or something worked up 'tween you and Bob and Art? I'm curious as I'm trying to decide about the blocking etc for my upcoming order - I'm thinking the Classic fm Bob's page would be about right for my face shape.

Really nice ribbon, btw!

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thanks for bringing this issue up Shaul. This pic of Scott was the first time I saw the hat actually on him and it needs more work to keep the brim shape. It turns out that Scot is an extra, extra long oval and this would seem to be the trade off when dealing with the panama. Unlike felt, panama's are extremely flexible and there is always the decision as to how stiff to make the hat in order to maintain the shape while wearing. On gents with regular oval shapes it's a pretty easy decision. On others, like Scot, with extra long ovals the only real solution is to make the hat so stiff in order to maintain it's "ovalness" that you could drive nails with it. Scot & I prefer the natural softness of the hat and will continue the efforts. At the moment, his hat "problem" is beyond my ability to solve but that doesn't by any stretch mean that I am satisfied with it.

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Pan_on_2.jpg

"I want to say thank you to all the members of the five families, who have come here to Havana..."​

great hat....

nice shirt....great creases !!!! do you press your own ??? lol lol lol

mark the shoeshine boy

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I'd like to clarify Scott is dapper as always, which is why I asked if this wavy thing was simply on purpose.

I have a "normal" head and as I said, the hat I bought is very round inside in ccomparison to other hats. I'm afraid the problem is rooted in the weaving already. The vendor offered to repair-block it, and maybe I'll simply do that - just looking for the best way to get it over the pond.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner