Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Camp Draft arrived !

Victor

One of the Regulars
so no one has answered my question about the felt. is it a soft thin felt like a vintage open road or a stiff coarse felt like the cattleman?

RBH

Bartender
Victor said:
so no one has answered my question about the felt. is it a soft thin felt like a vintage open road or a stiff coarse felt like the cattleman?

I would say it is closer to the thinness of the Stratoliner. My vintage Strat is a lot thinner than my vintage O R's.
As to the stiffness, it is a little stiffer than my Strat. I would think that the Stratoliners were stiff[er] when new than what we see in them now after the passage of time and use.

indyjim

Familiar Face
Hmmmm. I've had my eye on several new hats from Hatsdirect, namely the Leisure Time and the Wentworth. But seeing the Campdraft is cause for a rethink here. That is a nice hat and I love the bash, RBH. It is available from Everythingaustralian in the fawn. BTW, anybody have any experience with the other 2 hats I mentioned? I don't want to hijack this thread. If anyone has the Leisure Time or Wentworth, maybe we could start a new thread.

Russ

One of the Regulars
I have owned both the Campdraft (assuming it is merely a new name for Akubra's Open Road) and the Wentworth. The Wentworth had too much taper for my liking. The Campdraft doesn't seem to have that taper. My Open Road didn't.

Here's a photo of my Wentworth (with home made pugaree)
field_sketcher.jpg

indyjim

Familiar Face
Ahh yes, I see what you mean about the taper on the Wentworth. Thank you, Russ, for that side view. I'm not sure that would suit me. One 3/4 view of a hat on a web page makes it very difficult to ascertain what that hat is going to look like on my head from all angles.

Victor

One of the Regulars
I just ordered a campdraft from hatdirect.com in the mid brown color. They also have teh 2 to 3month wait so I guess its a lesson in patience. Looking forward to january!

Russ

One of the Regulars
I was wrong

I said that I believed the Campdraft was merely Akubra's new name for the Open Road after they stopped making it under the Stetson license, but when I lookd at an old Akubra catalog that I received 16 years ago, lo and behold both the Campdraft and the Open Road were available. Back then the Campdraft had a different ribbon, which was apparently replaced in recent years with the Open Road type ribbon. They might stili come from the same block for all I know.

I'm looking seriously at this hat as one to match the hat my ancestor wore.

Tone

A-List Customer
Did anything ever come of that "secret" plan to possibly have some special Campdrafts made in the Heritage felt?

That is a good question. The popular Bluegrass Green color hat has since been introduced, but not sure if the minimum order for Akubra to make a special run of hats was met since for a batch o' Campdrafts on heritage. Then again, either Akubra felt on a well-proportioned hat tends to do alright. ;) But yeah, that one was never answered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24