Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first custom-made fedora!

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
I think that hat looks fantastic. :eusa_clap I'm no expert, but I believe it fits your face shape perfectly. Very classic.

Steve

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Custom vs. customized

I have to agree with everyone that the hat suits you.
I think most people don't realize how difficult it is to
figure out what hat suits one best.

That said, I'd like to draw a distinction between a custom
hat and a factory hat that has had some changes made
to reflect your preferences. The Beaver hat is a factory hat.
They will make some changes to the appearance to please the
customer, and that is great. I have not held one of these in
my hands, but it sure looks like they are doing something right
(and you don't read that on this forum very often).

However, a custom hat is an entirely different animal.
A custom hat is a hat that is built by hand from the ground
up, to fit and complement your head or meet your specifications.
It's not an existing model that has been modified. Typically, it
is built to meet the specific shape of your head and you
can choose every material. You can also choose things like crown
height, which can't be done with a premade factory hat.

I just want people who read this thread to understand that there
is a big difference in materials, process, and result when you order
a hat from VS Custom Hats, Optimo, or JP Design (for example) and
when you order some changes either from your local hat store (as
it was in the old days) or from Beaver. Not to take away from
the fine hat you bought- it's great and great on you.

art92101

One of the Regulars
Two inch brim very effective

Your Beaver hat looks great. I think the 2 and 2 1/4 brim is under-rated. I think it looks great on you.

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Custom Hat verses Customizing a Hat

There are many experts around on many subjects. This includes hats, and there are many experts on hats, especially here. However, a custom hat is a hat made to order per the customers specifications, and that includes Beaver Brand Hats ordered through TheFedoraStore.com with Design-a-Hat.
I suppose my car is not really custom, because it was once built in a factory? Actually the tools used to make a product do not determine if it custom or not. Hand Made is not something that is required to be custom.
Actually, custom refers to the personalization and made to order. Our website allows features to customize your fedora when you order it, and then it is built to your specifications. If that isn't custom, then what is.

For additional reference, here are the descriptions of CUSTOM :

Dictionary.com
12. made specially for individual customers: custom shoes.

American Heritage:
1. Made to order.
2. Specializing in the making or selling of made-to-order goods: a custom tailor.

WorldNet
1. made according to the specifications of an individual [syn: custom-made] [ant: ready-made]

feltfan said:
I have to agree with everyone that the hat suits you.
I think most people don't realize how difficult it is to
figure out what hat suits one best.

That said, I'd like to draw a distinction between a custom
hat and a factory hat that has had some changes made
to reflect your preferences. The Beaver hat is a factory hat.
They will make some changes to the appearance to please the
customer, and that is great. I have not held one of these in
my hands, but it sure looks like they are doing something right
(and you don't read that on this forum very often).

However, a custom hat is an entirely different animal.
A custom hat is a hat that is built by hand from the ground
up, to fit and complement your head or meet your specifications.
It's not an existing model that has been modified. Typically, it
is built to meet the specific shape of your head and you
can choose every material. You can also choose things like crown
height, which can't be done with a premade factory hat.

I just want people who read this thread to understand that there
is a big difference in materials, process, and result when you order
a hat from VS Custom Hats, Optimo, or JP Design (for example) and
when you order some changes either from your local hat store (as
it was in the old days) or from Beaver. Not to take away from
the fine hat you bought- it's great and great on you.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I see both of your points feltfan and Fedorastore. I think the differnece you are trying to point out Feltfan really is the difference between "custom" and "bespoke". Any new hat can be modified to the customers requests and become custom or custom made for that customer, but bespoke is made with client specs AND made to fit his or her head only. I don't think materials used changes the meanings.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
You're right Mindraker, the word "custom" is kindof a minefield word. Using Duane's example , if you buy a chevy then add a ford grill, technically, it becomes a "custom". Now, would I buy a chevy with a ford grill? nope, but that doesn't change the car or the truthfullness of the word. One of my pet peeves for years is when someone calls a 1957 Chevy a "Classic"...no...it isn't. That term is only used by the Classic Car Club of America and there hasn't been a registered Classic since I believe 1946 but in sales pitches the word is so often used it's lost it's true meaning.
Bottom line? If someone orders a hat to their specs within the parameters that the maker offers no matter who the maker is, it's a custom. From that point on everything else is subjective and quality issues can be debated but it's still a custom.

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
With all of this said, it is a "no brainer" that hats of the quality that Art produces (no matter what tools he uses) are the ultimate. No factory can touch what he does, and I am a proud owner of one of his hats, and a proud seller of Beaver Brand hats. I would like to sell Art's hats, but he has the market cornered [huh] . Anyhow, I am glad to see happy customers owning Custom Beaver Brand Hats making their posts here, and I thank you.

Zig2k143

Practically Family
thefedorastore said:
With all of this said, it is a "no brainer" that hats of the quality that Art produces (no matter what tools he uses) are the ultimate. No factory can touch what he does, and I am a proud owner of one of his hats, and a proud seller of Beaver Brand hats. I would like to sell Art's hats, but he has the market cornered [huh] . Anyhow, I am glad to see happy customers owning Custom Beaver Brand Hats making their posts here, and I thank you.

I don't own an Art hat or Even a Beaver But I love fedora's and I think I will be ordering one in the future. (Like when it gets cooler).

That being said. I enjoy the dealing I have had with The Fedora Store. Service was quick and the one issue I had with the product (Pin was missing) my e-mail was responded to in 20 minutes and the pin sent out via mail and I received it within a week.

Thanks Duane.

ilcatex

New in Town
Custom, or customized...

I love the hat! That's all I was trying to say. It has broken in well. It is my new favorite. I will be ordering more in the future.

Plus, I am pre-disposed to Beaver Brand. I have two western hats from them and they have worn like iron for 12+ years.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Custom Hat

Great thread gentlemen. Art and Duane both serve customers who treasure their hats and want something truly reflective of their personality and taste. the economics may differ but the opportunity to have something made to order vs off the shelf is super at any price. Let's all celebrate the marketplace and hope to continues to grow and prosper!

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
HERE HERE!!!

For me BNC, this is all about choices and celebrating the opportunities. There is plenty of room for everyone in the biz so I hope nobody reads anything here to the contrary. Competition and choices make all of us better and in the long run it can only help the overall hat picture for the consumer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy