Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My First Edwardian Dress.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
It arrived today!
EdwardianAgain-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/metamorphosis/P2200179.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/metamorphosis/EdwardianDress.jpg

Apologies for the clutter, I was just so excited to take pictures. :eek: :)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
That's lovely LadyStardust. I think it may be later than Edwardian, though- looks like the Edwardian Revival of the 1970's. Still a really cute style of dress! There's two really telling things if it is newer- a lot of times they had zippers up the back, and they will have care tags inside. Also a really popular textile combination was lace backed in cotton and skirts and buttons made of velveteen- which is what it looks like that may be. Many apologies if this isn't the case- but it's a darling dress regardless of era!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I agree with Lauren, looks to be 70's.. but it IS gorgeous and it fits you to a T! And besides, IF it is not original to the Edwardian period, that means you can wear it more often and not have to worry so much!
Along with a gazillion hook and eyes on original peices, many had steel boning on the insides as well.
This *could* also be a piece that they've taken the original skirt off and added a new one? And sometimes the hook and eyes are removed and zippers added.

Either way, it's beautiful, enjoy!
Nikki

LadyStardust

Practically Family
I'm so upset! :( I was so sure it was genuine, but I can't very well go against the opinion of two such knowledgeable ladies as yourselves. Is it that -very- obviously 70's? If so, perhaps it's silly of me, but I don't think I'll be keeping it around. I also haven't left feedback for the seller, who made everything point to it being a genuine Edwardian piece, and now that it's been said otherwise, I'm not sure what to do in this situation. :(

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I totally agree with Elaina- all that matters is it looks fabulous on you!

Can you post some more pics of the back and the inside?

Other than a zipper and a care label, check if the seams are serged- they did have sergers but they looked very different than a modern serged edge on clothing.

As far as feedback, if I were you, I'd PM the seller and ask about a partial refund if you wanted to keep it, or return if you didn't want it. Vintage clothes can sometimes be tricky, and I have a few dresses I thought were edwardian when I started collecting that I found out later were from the 1930's or 70's and kept them just because I liked them anyways :)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I know it's disapointing, but really... I would keep it! It's one of the most darling ed. inspired dresses I've seen.
Try looking up Gunne Sax dress or boho vintage dress on the bay. I bet you'll see a lot more made like this.

You can also check out Karen's site to get more ideas of how the fashions were made in Edwardian times,
http://antique-lace.com/categories/Museum_Date_3.htm

The "overall" look gave it away to me, plus the severe empire waist and bust darts.

If the seller is green she may not have known it was not original either.

Here's another great reference site,
http://www.vintagetextile.com/edwardian.htm
http://www.vintagetextile.com/gallery_edwardian.htm

Nikki

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
As Ohairas has pointed out, the non original-ness means you can wear it without feeling like you are destroying history!

I hate feeling like I am wearing something and if I end up tearing it or spilling on it...I am depriving everyone of a small window into the past.

G

GoldLeaf

I will be the broken record here, but you DO look adorable! I would keep it, its not often you find a dress that looks that cute! I'm sorry you are disapointed.

I would, however, message the seller. As Lauren suggested, if you paid alot for the dress thinking it was genuine, perhaps she would be willing to refund some of your money.

:eek:fftopic: Miss Neecerie, I am not sure to be disturbed or amused by your new avatar lol You may want to consider seeing a doctor :D

P

Paul

You know what it, suits you, you look great! :eusa_clap
I would just send the seller a nice email pointing out what has been said here and see what she says about it first.

It depends upon what you paid but at the end of the day .

I do not know if you would get as much use out of a original one.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
LadyStardust, I looked up the auction. The gown was listed as Vintage Edwardian... and that's partly true. It IS vintage, but not from the edwardian era, but it IS edwardian style.
The seller showed the back which is obviously a zipper and material was listed as polyester. She didn't put any other details but the pics did show... so..... if it were me I'd just leave a "thanks" on the feedback and move on. The price wasn't bad and the dress is super cute, esp. from looking at the closer pics! The rusty brown velvet is awesome, and it looks like the buttons are the same velvet as well.

Through on a brooch at the collar and wear it proudly!
Nikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko