Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Friday Hat Story

harty

New in Town
On Friday I visited a local antique store that I had previously never been before. As I walked through the aisles, you can guess what caught my eye first.

It was a Champ fedora, great price, in excellent condition.

181_0274.jpg

181_0275.jpg

I took a closer look and breathed a sigh of relief. It was a 7 3/8. I wear 7 1/2. But of course tried it on, just in case. Hmmm. A little tight, but wearable. Fearing the reaction from She Who Must Be Obeyed, however, I placed it back on its perch and continued to look around. I found a couple of LPs, decently priced. But the Siren Song of the Fedora still called to me. Of course, I ended up giving in to my impulse.

By the time I got home, however, I was regretting my decision. It really wasn't my style (the crown had a significant taper--unfortunately I didn't get a picture--more on that later), the size wasn't right, and of course there was the reckoning with my lovely wife. But, being as it was an antique store, no return was possible. I figured I had three options:

1. Sell it on ebay
2. See if anybody on FL would be interested
3. Give it to my brother. He and I share a love of Outback style hats, but to my knowledge he doesn't have a proper fedora, and this one would look quite good on him.

Eventually all three would lose out. I also didn't like the crease (a center dent, that was OK, but the pinch was just odd). So, I decided that while I would do something to relinquish it, in the mean time I would practice my shaping skills. The new bash ended up being a Porkpie that I am rather fond of. Being a Porkpie, of course, it sits higher on my head and fits better. So that was my Friday dilemma and adventure. I hope you enjoyed my story, or at least made it through to the end.

Pics:

Front
181_0273.jpg

Side: (The pin is upside down! I don't know if this is an error on the part of the manufacturer or previous owner, but it amused me and I left it.
181_0270.jpg

Top:
181_0272.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
nice work, harty!
if you haven't already looked, you might be pleased to hear that a few weeks ago there was a nice selection of hats that were way too big for my 7 1/8 noggin over at Lost Marbles...

harty

New in Town
I was at North Cliff antiques today. I don't know if you are interested in Western style hats, but they had one there that I am pretty sure was 7 1/8. At least it was small enought that I didn't even attempt to try it on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany