Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Hat Was In The News!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thank you all for the very kind responses! This has been an ongoing project for a few years, and much of it has been dedicated to bringing the collaboration outside of the "concert hall" and into every reservation in South Dakota. The repertoire changes from time to time, but we have been fortunate to have four substantial compositions written especially for us in this endeavor. Two have been mine.

I am humbled and fortunate to be able to work with all of these Native and non-Native musicians on a regular basis. It has honestly been the most moving and profound musical experience in my life so far.

Now off to prepare for a concert with world-renowned soprano Dawn Upshaw this weekend.

Sorry to be off-topic. Loungers are a great bunch, and the "ole nutria" appreciates it, too, especially since it came from a tiny junk shop in very rural South Dakota. Many thanks.

Last edited:

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Absolutely amazing, Jeff. Thanks for the look into a beautiful world. I found it quite moving, and very accessible--this was not an academic piece alone. :)

earl

A-List Customer
Love Native American flute music. I'm from South Dakota-not too far from Sisseton for that matter-little Claremont. As a kid, we had a cabin at Roy Lake. Earl

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thank you again, sirs! Crazy that you grew up near Sisseton, earl! I was fortunate to be able to spend some time on Clear Lake while I was writing the piece. What a beautiful and serene area, at least in the summer time! Here is a link to pics I have posted from my time there:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...-amp-Country&p=1506744&viewfull=1#post1506744

I'm sure you've posted a pic of that hat at some point. I'd like to see a still pic of it. Can you point me to where I can see it better? It's a very cool hat.
Can't remember the thread but here's a still life pic for you.

002zdn.jpg

Last edited:

earl

A-List Customer
Thank you again, sirs! Crazy that you grew up near Sisseton, earl! I was fortunate to be able to spend some time on Clear Lake while I was writing the piece. What a beautiful and serene area, at least in the summer time! Here is a link to pics I have posted from my time there:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...-amp-Country&p=1506744&viewfull=1#post1506744

Can't remember the thread but here's a still life pic for you.

002zdn.jpg
Nice to see the photos. If I remember correctly, Clear Lake is only about 8 miles from Roy Lake. Earl

MarkJohn

One of the Regulars
Utterly fantastic Jeff!... I would love to hear the whole piece, and any more of your work if possible?. The Native American Flute is such a beautiful instrument, which has opened-up my own musical journey... it seems to have the ability to connect people, not only across cultures, but whole continents, which I find find very moving. I was lucky to find a maker close to home who was taught by renowned maker and player Guillermo Martinez... I can honestly say these flutes have changed my life.

Congratulations on bringing such a fantastic project to fruition... oh, and the hat looked nice too :)

Last edited:

Denton

One of the Regulars
I really enjoyed the excerpts from your piece, bowlerman. Also, I'm impressed by the South Dakota television news. They did an excellent job with the story.

Nice to see the hat too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points