Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My "mission" back in time.

cco23i

A-List Customer
Yup,
Our unit will be the ground crew for the missions in Stockton. We get to load the bombs and what ever else we can get away with on the ground. It looks to be an exciting time.

Scott

irb

Familiar Face
Awesome photos. Thanks!

Out here in AZ, we have Falcon Field, home of the Arizona wing of the Commemorative Air Force. I'll see if I can dredge up some photos of their B-17G "Sentimental Journey" but until then you may enjoy their website.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Jovan said:
Aww, that defeats the purpose of flying in one if you can't pretend you're shooting down fighters... :D

Just think big. Don't concern yourself with mere .50 Browning machine guns. Sitting in that Perspex fishbowl, with a birds eye view of everything, you have 8,000 lbs of bombs, at your disposal. Just you, and Mr Norton.

hatguy1

One Too Many
Sad to report, but a couple years ago (the year after I'd done a ride on "Liberty Belle") she had an engine fire and the crew did an excellent job of putting her down wheels down and right side up and everything in a field. Unfortunately, due to recent heavy rains in the area, the surrounding area was too soggy to get the fire trucks out to her and she burned up in that field.

Fortunately the crew and all aboard survived just fine. But, a tragic loss of a well-preserved piece of aviation/military history.

hatguy1

One Too Many
Just think big. Don't concern yourself with mere .50 Browning machine guns. Sitting in that Perspex fishbowl, with a birds eye view of everything, you have 8,000 lbs of bombs, at your disposal. Just you, and Mr Norton.

To help illustrate your point.....

b17g chin turret 2.jpg b17g chin turret bombardier station view 2.jpg

Took these on my "bucket list" flight aboard "Liberty Belle" a few years ago.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
To help illustrate your point.....

View attachment 5764

Took these on my "bucket list" flight aboard "Liberty Belle" a few years ago.

I can remember, back in the late 80s, I got a ride in Texas Raider. I was at the bombarders position, peering through the Norden bomb sight, when we flew over the Salt Lake City railroad marshaling yard. I had seen that same view, hundreds of times on TV, talk about a chill going down your spine!

hatguy1

One Too Many
I can remember, back in the late 80s, I got a ride in Texas Raider. I was at the bombarders position, peering through the Norden bomb sight, when we flew over the Salt Lake City railroad marshaling yard. I had seen that same view, hundreds of times on TV, talk about a chill going down your spine!

I know what you mean, Stearmen. On "Liberty Belle" they made sure each passenger was allowed to move about throughout the flight. I made sure to visit each duty station onboard and as I did, tried to imagine what it was like for the crewman at that station on a bombing mission in a freezing cold European winter. Of course, I couldn't completely understand as my life, nor that of my buddies or of my aircraft wasn't in danger from enemy guns, but still....

Lest we never forget their sacrifice....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran