My new A2 Custom Five Star Leather

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Tefouane, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I wish those patterns would make their way from Pakistan to America so that Cockpit USA and US Wings can do something about their monstrously over-scaled patterns. :D:rolleyes:

2. Fadetoblack88

Fadetoblack88 Familiar Face

Leather samples are a good idea. Last I spoke with him he said he will have horse hide available in a few weeks. I'm keen to see what that's like. But the goat looks good too, from the pics posted here in other threads.

Benny Holiday and bn1966 like this.
  3. Fadetoblack88

I agree. I owned one of each for about 10 minutes. The jacket came out of the box, tried it on, said no way, and put it right back in the box to whence it came from.

Brettafett likes this.
  4. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

G1 / M422A custom from Five Star on my radar, thinking light goat like a Star Sportswear jacket I once owned. Would go seal with rust mouton and brick red knits :)

Benny Holiday and Fadetoblack88 like this.
  5. Fadetoblack88

I've been thinking about asking him make an an-j-3. If my A-2 is as nice as I think it will be I won't hesitate to inquire. Not many companies offer that jacket.

bn1966 and Monsoon like this.
  6. Changeling67

Changeling67 New in Town

Avi Leather has its Jackets made in Pakistan as they tell you on their website if you read it all,just as many leather fashion jackets are made there for retailers around the world.I bought an A-1 jacket from Fivestar in Pakistan and was very pleased with the quality for such a small price,neat stitching everywhere,nice goatskin.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    bn1966 likes this.
  7. Fadetoblack88

Did the jacket develop any wear/patina or does the leather still look new?

8. Brettafett

Brettafett One Too Many

I think Shawn will make whatever you want, but he does not have patterns. It will all be by eye and by photos you send.
    I am sure if you don't mind the creative license, he could make a very nice jacket.The G-1 with a leather collar for example could be a very nice jacket. Super practical and comfy for sure.

bn1966 and Fadetoblack88 like this.
  9. Changeling67

Changeling67 New in Town

I only bought the jacket in March this year so no patina yet,but of all the leathers goatskin is probably the longest lasting and also very hard wearing, so even after decades it does not change a great deal in appearance compared to other leathers.

10. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Don't think I can justify big bucks on jackets by premier makers at the moment & don't really have the inclination either. I've enough ELC leathers to cover all seasons. What I would like is a cheapish representation of a G-1 / M422A type that looks the part & fits well, with the aforementioned brick red knits & rust mouton.

Monsoon likes this.
  11. Monsoon

Monsoon A-List Customer

You and me, too. A M422A like that would be the heat.

bn1966 likes this.
  12. Fadetoblack88

I emailed Shawn about some particulars of the jacket I'm going to order and get this, the customization doesn't stop with the usual stuff I.e. knit color, seal/russet etc. He said he can do a hide in veg tanned semi aniline dyed just for my jacket, like what the goodwear websight sAus their hides are tanned as. Can you imagine getting a jacket with the same quality leather, albeit less accuracy as a GW for $500? Yes please. I just want a leather jacket that's going to look great in a couple years, at an affordable price, as opposed to one new/plastic looking as the day I got it. That's my ultimate goal.

bn1966 likes this.
  13. Royalcrown32

Royalcrown32 One of the Regulars

Now that is a good idea. I really like the AN-J-3. Let me know how you got on.

14. Brettafett

Brettafett One Too Many

Its amazing what can be done... But Shawn needs the patterns. His M422a is the same pattern as the AVI-copied 55J14 G-1, with the addition of the pocket stitching etc... Original M422as are still quite affordable, especially destroyed. Get one into Shawn's hands and Im sur he will make a very nice repro.
    AVI has an original WW2 M422a, I think its a FO... they told me they are planning to release this later in the year. But what sizes and how they grade their sizing, I cannot say. Will be sub 400 Euros though. Im holding out for one of these.

bn1966 and Royalcrown32 like this.
  15. Stand By

Stand By One Too Many

It looks like an absolutely classic A2 on you. You ought to be pleased with that! Looks great.
    Thanks for posting.

16. Stlawrence

Stlawrence New in Town

Can someone please provide Shawn's email address?

Thanks.

bn1966 likes this.
  17. Kt Templar

Kt Templar One of the Regulars

I stumbled across Fivestar on my ebay travels, thought heh, maybe I'll take a punt on an A1, £85 what's there to lose. After a little chatting Shawn reduced the sleeven length for me and sent it on its way, it's an off the rack, looks like a pre-d goat. I'm very short so the body is slightly long for me, but TBH very impressed, the jacket is well constructed and has a reasonably slim cut.

I think I'll put in for an A2...

IMG_4603.jpg IMG_4604.jpg IMG_4605.jpg

bn1966, Dav, Peter Mackin and 3 others like this.
  18. dinomartino1

dinomartino1 One of the Regulars

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Kt Templar likes this.
  19. Peter Mackin

Peter Mackin Practically Family

Hi,,your jacket looks great,,can I ask what size you ordered,,Shawns size chart is like nothing I’ve ever seen,,a size 42 and you order S or Xs !!!!

20. Kt Templar

Kt Templar One of the Regulars

He suggested I go with an XS with a 40" chest, it's marked 38 and is 21 pit to pit. S sounds about right if you want a trim fit.

Peter Mackin likes this.