Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new aero

Dude59

New in Town
Hey all, so my new Aero just came in a few hours ago. It is a Half Belt Deluxe without the large pockets in the front, so essentially a 50's HB with bi swing back. I am very happy with the quality and feel, but I have a few questions about the fit as it is my first Aero and it is hard to tell as it is so stiff and I am unsure if some of it will change as the leather softens. I am aware the the sleeves are a little long but, I am unsure if it is something that will bother me as much as it bothers me when sleeves ride up past my wrist when I lift my long arms up. Any comments are appreciated. Unfortunately all I have is a camera phone and bathroom mirror so they are not great photos and it doesn't show the true colors. Also forgive my face and outfit, I'm not big on posing and it was 95 degrees out today so when I got home I put on shorts and a t-shirt

here is how much extra leather there is which I believe will be almost perfect for wearing a sweater underneath come winter.

As I said, just a little concerned, it is a bit boxy, but I'm not sure that is a bad thing as the leather is so stiff right now, and when it softens, I will probably be happy as I dont tend to wear skin tight garments
- Timothy

nabottle

A-List Customer
Congratulations on your new Aero! As far as fit goes, I'm no expert. My feeling is - if you like it, that's what matters. To me, just having an Aero is an achievement in itself. I absolutely love mine.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Dude, welcome to the Aero club! I am a new member as well. Did you order through Insurrection or Aero directly? What specs did you ask for in the build? ( other than no large pockets ) I think the waist is fine and the length looks good, the sleeves look long in the last picture, but if you prefer them that way, its no issue. Most will recommend not hanging it up in the closet but leaving it on the floor of the closet..that's where mine is till fall..good luck with it

Dude59

New in Town
The specs for the jacket are as follows

Aero Half Belt Deluxe
Size 44
Brown FQHH
Antique brass hardware
No chest pocket
No flaps on handwarmer pockets (just double-welted handwarmer pockets)
No storm cuffs
28 inch sleeve length
Add 2 inches to body length

I ordered through Insurrection, it was supposed to be for the May production but I guess Aero received a sub par batch of brown FQHH so they had to wait for the next batch. Still only waited 3 months from order until received so I can't complain... too much. ;)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I'm assuming you think it's a bit big by the way you're pulling the excess leather out?

Honestly man, my HWM fits like that and it's not even supposed to have the front flare in the bottom chest. To my untrained eye it looks a bit big but certainly this does not look bad. It's just a more relaxed fit.
Bless you for taking side pics btw. The jacket looks classy.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
A great looking jacket and particularly like the clean look without the cargo pockets. I frankly doubt that the sleeves are too long at all with future creasing that should occur with the FQHH. The side straps might be tightened a bit more though. Congratulations!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
That looks great - so much nicer without those ugly cargo pocket flaps.

It'll look boxy for a few months, depending on how you wear it and abuse it. They always look a bit naff when new IMO.

wdw

One Too Many
I think size is fine and you can expect the sleeves to wrinkle at least half an inch, maybe more if you're brave enough to jump under the shower.

Better to have sleeves a bit long than a bit short, IMHO.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm with Eric. Tighten the straps, and then just wear the hell out of it. The sleeves will start wrinkling up immediately, so I'd give yourself a few months to let the jacket to break in a little and relax. If you still feel the sleeves are a little too long, I'm sure Carrie and co will be able to advise on it. But definitely better a bit long than too short. Great looking jacket though, and the 50s HB is a more relaxed fit than the standard 30s one, so it looks just about right (might want to start working on that collar though;)).

schitzo

Suspended
can the side straps be tightened any more? Body length looks right but the sleeves are a bit long, which if they're gonna be out is the way round you want it. Insurrection can take an inch or so off those for you, right?

Without cargo pockets is how I've always imagined my DHB - if I ever get round to ordering it - so good call there.

A shot from behind would help to better judge the fit, but from what I can see it doesn't look too big from here. Roomy yes but not a size too large I wouldn't say. I guess you can comfortably layer up underneath (can you?) which aint a bad thing

EDIT: I've had a few jackets that had to have the sleeves shortened, and if that is the way you decide to go, my advice is wear it for a little while (and do lots of arm curls etc) before you have them shortened. That way they can crease up a bit first and you'll have a better idea of what the adjustment should be

Last edited:

Dude59

New in Town
Thanks all for the comments, I wanted room for layering as I got the lightest liner I could so as to increase the time I can wear it as I am stationed in this hot and muggy area. I just wanted to make sure it was too large. The side straps are not tightened, but I feels like it makes a weird shape when they are tightened as it is only in that area. Again, possibly something that will loosen as it is broken in. I will get better pics and including the back this weekend when I see my fiance, right now all I have is a terrible mirror in a tiny bathroom.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The straps are basically there to give the jacket a waist, but, yeah, a bit of wearing will help the leather to shape in. I have a similar fit to yours on my Dustbowl, and I pulled the straps as tight as they'll go. To me it just gives a better, more fitted silhouette.

frussell

One Too Many
Looks just fine to me, but I'm one of those guys who also have super long arms, and don't like anything to fit too snug. Give it a week or two to relax, and see what you think about it then. I also got a really light liner, since I am in a very warm area, and I'm happy I did. Looks like a winner, congratulations. Frank

technovox

One Too Many
I think size is fine and you can expect the sleeves to wrinkle at least half an inch, maybe more if you're brave enough to jump under the shower.

Better to have sleeves a bit long than a bit short, IMHO.

So I gather from your post, that jumping in the shower and soaking the jacket will shrink the leather a bit? I've been going over previous Fedora posts on the subject, and half seem to indicate getting the leather wet will stretch the jacket and the other half suggest the leather will shrink...perhaps it depends on the temperature of the water? Or drying off process? Has anyone tried this?

Dude59

New in Town
So I gather from your post, that jumping in the shower and soaking the jacket will shrink the leather a bit? I've been going over previous Fedora posts on the subject, and half seem to indicate getting the leather wet will stretch the jacket and the other half suggest the leather will shrink...perhaps it depends on the temperature of the water? Or drying off process? Has anyone tried this?

I would also like to know the answer to this, if I got it wet and wore it for several hours will it sort of adjust its self to my needs?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think that initially you might want to just wear it 'as is'. Seriously, with FQHH it's a marathon, not a race. After the initial wrinkling-in from wearing, I got caught in torrential rain three months after getting my jacket, and it was the point where I felt the jacket 'relaxed', especially the collar area, and started to take my body shape.

I took two Aero FQHH jackets new (one took a few extra weeks as I was in Scotland/France) and soaked them in the HOT shower until they weighed about 25 pounds. I then put them in the dryer for ~10 mins at a time, trying them on to make sure I hadn't gone too far. I ended up doing this maybe 4-5 times in total, finally just using the dryer on cold mornings to get it softened up and a little smaller. It worked great. I think you have enough play on that jacket to do it with little fear. I did NOT soak the lining(s) - only yhe hides. I know it sounds crazy, but the locals here conveniced me over time that it was OK and I went for it. Guys that aren't here a lot lately but know much more than I. The one HH jacket I didn't do this with is my Ventura (GW). It's not that heavy and it fit as well as it could ever fit. Up to you - I know for your first jacket that's a lot to think about. But ask Carrie and others who ride (like me) if they haven't soaked their leathers/jackets more than once. They only look better for it as long as your're careful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt