Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new AL-8 ( grainey steerhide)

Plumbline

One Too Many
Just in case anyone is interested .... NOTE: This is NOT and advert for any company, nor do I want this to get into a comparison thread .... it's simply to show you what I got when I ordered my AL-8 .. OK???

Spec was as follows:

AL-8 Brown Grainy Steerhide plus the following customisations :

- Single piece arms, NO storm cuffs (they're rubbish IMHO) and no zip cuff either in the best principles of simplicity ( no American 1/2 cuff design either)
- Tartan Lining (not Cotton Drill or Alpaca) this is a 3 season travel / motorcycling jacket
- 2 inner pockets

sizing is perfect, cut is great ... THIS GOES TO SHOW MANAGING DIRECTORS DON'T MAKE JACKETS ... GREAT CUTTERS AND SEAMSTRESSES DO :) :)

Delivery time from order to receipt - 4 days

Leather Quality .... Grainy Steerhide (no label) simply stunning, no idea who supplies it but thick, supple ( prob nearer 4oz than 3oz) , really consistant grain and finish and it will be interesting to see how it wears. Colour is darker than my highwayman but lighter than my seal A2 .. sort of in between

Jacket construction .... Vicky, you are an EXPERT at your craft. STUNNING

Weak points ..... main zipper isn't a Talon ... and really that's it ..... I have been all over this and that's my only complaint and it's not that the current zipper isn't good. It just isn't a Talon.

Look and feel .... it's sort of like a cross between an Aero Bootlegger and a 50's halfbelt with a few little unique bits thrown in. Collar is more pointed than the bootlegger, inner flap is a bit more tapered, lining of the pockets is black rather than cream (better IMHO). It's quite a slimming cut IMHO ( as a guy of 5'8" and 44" stocky build .. I appreciate this ). The label appears smaller than the sample photos I'd seen and it's very simple. Will post pics of me wearing it in a few days.

All in all a GREAT purchase .... and possibly the first AL-8 :)

Pics attached .... just out of the box.

AL-81a_zpsd419f767.jpg

AL-83_zpsf543076b.jpg

Plumbline

One Too Many
AL-81a_zpsd419f767.jpg

AL-82_zpse983d441.jpg

AL-83_zpsf543076b.jpg

AL-84_zps8ae2f17f.jpg

AL-85_zps87b60d85.jpg

AL-87_zps59cbaeee.jpg

AL-86_zps3f5728ba.jpg

for those interested ... the tartan is Huntin MacFarlane ... selected because it was pretty well a match with everything I could think of wearing with the jacket :)

majormajor

One Too Many
Here's a extract from an Ebay listing by Plumbv4, regarding a Sam Walker jacket he was selling....

"BUT PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A SAM WALKER BRANDED JACKET AND NOT AN AERO ONE ( it should be noted that for a time Aero manufactured jackets for Sam Walker but this arrangement ceased in the early 90's as Sam Walker decided to copy the Aero designs and have them manufactured by another supplier ... which was a bit naughty to say the least !!!!)"

An admirable sentiment:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
Here's a extract from an Ebay listing by Plumbv4, regarding a Sam Walker jacket he was selling....

"BUT PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A SAM WALKER BRANDED JACKET AND NOT AN AERO ONE ( it should be noted that for a time Aero manufactured jackets for Sam Walker but this arrangement ceased in the early 90's as Sam Walker decided to copy the Aero designs and have them manufactured by another supplier ... which was a bit naughty to say the least !!!!)"

An admirable sentiment:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

It is indeed .... especially if I .... as a customer of Aero ..... were to copy Aero's designs and have them manufactured by someone else. I guess it depends on who came up with the design.

Nice to know I have a few ebay followers ... even Ken Calder ... :)

Last edited:

tonypaj

Practically Family
As one of the first orders I think I got a bit of a deal at £560 (inc. postage) ... but then maybe some will think I didn't .... I'm happy in any case, and it's my money :) :)

A nice looking jacket. Pricing seems where I thought it would be. I would not mind having one, I'll just wait and see how things go before I get my next one...

Paden

Vendor
Nice looking jacket, good price and I like the tartan, too.
Seems, that Vicky nows what she do.;)
Could be a collectors piece for the future..............one of the first AL- 8 jackets ever.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner